Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

RICHMOND, VA: Black Friday ads in paper costing some customers more this year

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bigjimslade  OFFLINE  

bigjimslade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 7, 2013 - 7:26 am

Is anyone else doing this?

http://www.nbc12.com...-more-this-year

#2 Lncloser  OFFLINE  

Lncloser

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2013

Posted Nov 7, 2013 - 9:12 am

Yes, in Omaha. I have a subscription for weekends only, which includes all holiday papers.  They're charging an extra $2.75 in November for the Thanksgiving paper.  Not sure how much it will be at the stands, though.

#3 mcwalker  OFFLINE  

mcwalker

City Planner & Bargain Shopper!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 7, 2013 - 10:36 am

It is a sign of the struggling print news business.  A bit surprising, though, since the advertisers pay for the inserts to be printed, but I suppose the paper still has increased handling costs for the larger papers.

#4 Iliveforblckfri  OFFLINE  

Iliveforblckfri

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 7, 2013 - 7:18 pm

In Anchorage, Alaska our Thanksgiving Day paper is always twice the price as a normal daily cost.

Darla Who flies 800 miles (RT) to be in a town with stores for Black Friday :gdhug5:

#5 pogiporkchop  OFFLINE  

pogiporkchop

• 1,607 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 7, 2013 - 8:57 pm

Back where I moved from they charged the Sunday price for the Turkey Day paper ($2).  I would not be surprised to see or hear of the cost going higher since so many people go after them and will grab multiples.

Side note: always check multiple copies of the paper to make sure you have all of the ads.  I know, everyone knows already, but let this be a friendly reminder before the chaos get into full gear.

#6 arci122  OFFLINE  

arci122

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 8, 2013 - 3:19 am

The paper on Thanksgiving has always been the price of a sunday paper.  And I still have to buy more than one for the coupons and not all ads are in the same paper.

#7 booga12345  OFFLINE  

booga12345

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 8, 2013 - 5:52 pm

Same here, our thanksgiving paper has always been the price of our Sunday paper.

#8 jaymacfla  OFFLINE  

jaymacfla

President, Black Friday Vacationers

• 1,946 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 9, 2013 - 4:48 am

Back where I moved from they charged the Sunday price for the Turkey Day paper ($2).  I would not be surprised to see or hear of the cost going higher since so many people go after them and will grab multiples.

Side note: always check multiple copies of the paper to make sure you have all of the ads.  I know, everyone knows already, but let this be a friendly reminder before the chaos get into full gear.

This is very good advice. Also remember to get your paper(s) early! Many stores run out and it becomes a mad dash around town for the coveted ads, only to find out that someone had stripped the only remaining copy clean of your favorite ads!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users