I will not shop at Toys R Us at 5:00PM on Thanksgiving!

cyndim98

I was told this is a national ad and not all stores will be open at 5. Our area is supposed to open at 8pm and not 5. Anyone else heard the same?

i know with the ad last year being 8pm where i lived we opened at 8 so im sure we'll be opening up at 5pm sucks for us employees not having family time anymore for holidays

I honestly don't have a problem with it.  Look at all the other businesses that are open on Thanksgiving - restaurants, movie theaters, gas stations, hospitals, airports, hotels, etc...Retail is known for having horrible hours.  If you don't want to work it, then find a different job.  

Oh and as far as corporate execs getting the day off - my BIL is VP of a department store chain and he has to go in on Thanksgiving as per corporate policy.  

If you don't agree with it then don't go - that's your prerogative. But I like going, so I will!

JMO...sorry if I offended.

Differences in opinions are what makes the world go round. As for your B-I-L feel sorry for him but I know a LOT of the uppers who don't work on thanksgiving at many of the big box stores. :) It's all good we all make choices that fit our lives I'm just big on family time well and football lol

• Like 1

I live in Maine and we have a state law that stores cannot open on the big holidays.  None of the big retailers here can open before midnight, so all of the sales seem to run starting then (for the stores opening early in other states).  It's always confusing with the differences in times.  So at least the Mainers will get to enjoy their Thanksgiving. 

• Like 2

https://www.facebook.com/changeblackfridaybacktofriday

I live in Maine and we have a state law that stores cannot open on the big holidays.  None of the big retailers here can open before midnight, so all of the sales seem to run starting then (for the stores opening early in other states).  It's always confusing with the differences in times.  So at least the Mainers will get to enjoy their Thanksgiving. 

I WISH ALL STATES WERE LIKE THIS!!! :(

Here a fb page to "boycott" this  https://www.facebook.com/changeblackfridaybacktofriday

• Like 2

i know with the ad last year being 8pm where i lived we opened at 8 so im sure we'll be opening up at 5pm sucks for us employees not having family time anymore for holidays

I heard they just made the big email to employees letting them know they were opening at 5. I feel bad for the employees also

I heard they just made the big email to employees letting them know they were opening at 5. I feel bad for the employees also

i was never told by my management about the 5pm opening i just found it out by the leaked ad today. the company is going downhill they don't care about family time. i work overnights and last year we were required to come in on christmas night and i didn't make it in. i was told that my store manager was upset with me cuz i didn't come in on christmas it's like companies don't care about holidays anymore it's all about making that extra sale.

Don't say "shame on you" if you are there to shop...retail isn't the only industry that works on holidays!  I work in therapy, and I'm on call for the holiday--not a nurse, THERAPY?  Who in the hell needs physical therapy that badly on a major holiday, that someone has to be on call??  But it's my job...so I will be on call, have dinner with my family early, and be at TRU before 5...my family is small, and we are done eating well before 5.  My husband will be OK with my going, knowing that I get good deals when I go, AND he knows if I start out that early, I likely will not be out all night, as in previous years...

• Like 2

Pretty early. I will be shopping at TRU, not at 5, but whenever I make it out of the house(10 or so). Just wondering about the door buster deals though(from 5-9 pm). If there are tons of door buster deals left at say 10:30-11 pm, will they honor the door buster price or not since it's after 9????

Differences in opinions are what makes the world go round. As for your B-I-L feel sorry for him but I know a LOT of the uppers who don't work on thanksgiving at many of the big box stores. :) It's all good we all make choices that fit our lives I'm just big on family time well and football lol

My husband and I live out of state.  For the couple of days off we get for Thanksgiving, it isn't worth it for us to go home.  We usually end up going out to dinner and taking the kids to the movies.  

I understand family time.  But I also realize that this is the busiest time of the year for retailers and when they expect to make the most money (that's why it's called Black Friday),  Obviously, every family needs to make the decision that suits their needs.  But I know plenty of families who celebrate Thanksgiving by going shopping together.  

As far as watching football, they're working that day too!  Football players, coaches, cameramen, restaurants and shops will be opened at the stadiums as well.  

I just hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday however he/she decides to spend it!

Pretty early. I will be shopping at TRU, not at 5, but whenever I make it out of the house(10 or so). Just wondering about the door buster deals though(from 5-9 pm). If there are tons of door buster deals left at say 10:30-11 pm, will they honor the door buster price or not since it's after 9????

they wont honor it. since the time will be past

My husband and I live out of state.  For the couple of days off we get for Thanksgiving, it isn't worth it for us to go home.  We usually end up going out to dinner and taking the kids to the movies.  

I understand family time.  But I also realize that this is the busiest time of the year for retailers and when they expect to make the most money (that's why it's called Black Friday),  Obviously, every family needs to make the decision that suits their needs.  But I know plenty of families who celebrate Thanksgiving by going shopping together.  

As far as watching football, they're working that day too!  Football players, coaches, cameramen, restaurants and shops will be opened at the stadiums as well.  

I just hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday however he/she decides to spend it!

Like I said before this is purely my opinion and I feel bad for the people who have to work it. Doesn't matter what field they are in, I guess at the end of the day I'm an old fashioned person living in the wrong day and age. I remember when I was young EVERYTHING seemed to be closed on a couple days a year even most every gas station. (Makes me sound much older than I am lol). Now if they didn't have football on that day I would be ok with that also the game could move out a day or 3 and I would still be fine. Everyone at the end of the day should do what makes them and their family happy if thats shopping or sitting at home in a food coma who am I to say otherwise. :)

Do you think maybe they're opening early BECAUSE they know that most people won't make it and will just do their shopping online? I haven't been to TRU on BF in several years, but it's always been absolute chaos. Maybe this is their way of controlling the crowds and pushing more sales to their website?

Like I said before this is purely my opinion and I feel bad for the people who have to work it. Doesn't matter what field they are in, I guess at the end of the day I'm an old fashioned person living in the wrong day and age. I remember when I was young EVERYTHING seemed to be closed on a couple days a year even most every gas station. (Makes me sound much older than I am lol). Now if they didn't have football on that day I would be ok with that also the game could move out a day or 3 and I would still be fine. Everyone at the end of the day should do what makes them and their family happy if thats shopping or sitting at home in a food coma who am I to say otherwise. :)

I remember those times as well.  I remember when stores would be closed on Sundays or close at 5 PM.  I was always sitting at home bored, so maybe that's why I love when stores are open!!!

Do you think maybe they're opening early BECAUSE they know that most people won't make it and will just do their shopping online? I haven't been to TRU on BF in several years, but it's always been absolute chaos. Maybe this is their way of controlling the crowds and pushing more sales to their website?

I believe there will be plenty of people there.  

Edited by Dylansmommy

I thought for my 6yo son the ad was good. EXCEPT the time.

Like most of you, being at TRU at dinner time on Thanksgiving isn't my thing.

If it was midnight or even maybe 10pm I would do it for the swamp force and a few others. 5pm... It's not happening. :(

They most likely still will. I used to work at TRU and they honored it. How do they know you didn't get there at 8:30 and were in the store shopping and just getting around to checking out later. Do you really think at 11pm they are going to change the prices in the computer and everyone in line will now have to pay the higher price?

People get crazy with this Black Friday stuff, I'm pretty sure TRU will be packed.

For us though, the 'doorbuster' 5-9pm deals are not even that great.  50% off on several select toys?  Yeah, Cyber Monday/Amazon will most likely beat all of that.

No sales on Octonauts, Cars, Planes or Thomas the Train which the kid is going for.  That Leappad 2 for 50% off looks decent, but we were looking at the Ultra anyways.

Edited by superdeluxe

I remember for the past two years I would get emails stating that they are extending their doorbuster  prices until such and such time. 

I see the main toy my son wants for a fantastic price along with a few other items for my grandsons. I will be at TRU, but not sure what time. All depends on our dinner and other BF plans.