Contest: Give Contest Ideas & Win T-Shirts [Winners Posted]

Brad

You could offer shirts for most hilarious holiday family dysfunction stories!  People crack up when they hear how my grandpa got stuck outside in his undies on Christmas in the snow with the front light on and lots of holiday travelers going by!

How about offering a guess as to how soon Walmart will drop the 'no ads for you!' ax?  We know it's coming, we just don't know when!  Closest to the exact date/time of Walmart dropping the hammer (and gottadeal getting notice) wins a shirt.

You could do a contest to give away shirts for best Black Friday horror stories.  We all probably have great ones!

You could do another caption contest, that was fun! 

You could send random members 'trick or treat' emails and they have to answer a deal question correctly to get a treat...a BF shirt sent to them.  Otherwise they get a trick...locked out of the forum for a day!  OH NOOOO!!!!!

I like the scavenger hunt Idea....looking through the ads for items giving page numbers and costs....first person to get all correct gets a shirt.

Could do a Christmas show trivia how many times do they say nose in Rudolph the red nosed reindeer...or something like that.

This is more for the people who stand in line or stay overnight (not sure how that will work with a lot of stores opening on Thanksgiving evening), but have a contest of the best tailgate party (for those who take pictures) and the winners will get T-shirts next year.

Another idea is maybe anyone who is interviewed for the news with a GD shirt automatically wins a t-shirt for next year.

and finally for those who make videos on youtube, whoever has the most creative Gottadeal video created wins a T-shirt.  You must include a link to the video.

• Like 1

I love the scavenger hunt ideas. They are always fun.

I was also thinking of a twist of the random acts.  Have everybody submit somebody else from the site that they think should win a shirt and why. And either award the one they wish one for, or both of them get one. 

Or a contest like think of something related to black Friday for every letter of the alphabet. 

We did a contest before when I was an administrator, not sure if you guys have this option but we made it so if someone said a random word that we chose, the word actually posted WINNER instead of that word. Obviously it wasn't a common used word and it got people talking more!
  • Like 1

How about a Christmas carol rewrite contest, where you have to turn it into a BF song?  I guess you have a lot of writing-based contests already, though...

Or have people find clips in non-Christmas movies or tv shows where a character says "gotta deal" or "got a deal" and post the clip (or if that can't be done because of copyright, then post the timestamp/approx time into the episode, name of the show, name of the episode).

Best use of a coupon for a Black Friday sale - have people find coupons and post the link (if online) or information where to find it (ie: sunday's newspaper, SmartSource.com), and explain how to combine it with a sale on BF to get an awesome deal.  Best deal wins!

Find the 12 Days of Christmas in the BF ads - find deals in posted BF ads that correspond to the 12 days of Christmas (Partridge in a Pear Tree could be a Partridge Family DVD and a Harry & David's pear gift box, e.g.) - post links to all the items or ads for verification - most original, most accurate, funniest wins :)

• Like 1

How about a poll in which someone has to guess day (and hour?) of when the first campers will be set up and spotted by either another GDer, or the news crews (since they seem to get earlier and earlier each year)...

How about the first person to either catch me or Bigjimslade and snap a picture of us with you, wins a shirt (one shirt per mod caught on camera). In lieu of that, you could post the news story (video link) catching us on film. Brad, if you like this idea, give credit to stacya.

• Like 1

Pet costume contest....submit photos of your pets dressed or decorated for the holidays. Choose cutest, funniest, most creative, etc.

Strangest/funniest gift request...I always love this thread every year. Maybe turn it into a contest?

Funny that you should mention that! I thought it would be fun to vote on the best dressed pet (Cat or Dog) and the winner gets to be our Black Friday mascot for 2013. The only catch is that the outfit must have Gottadeal on it, in a prominent place. (credit to misstaken, for jarring my memory),

• Like 1

I like the scavenger hunt ideas, requiring people to look though ads or perhaps one of the Forums.  It could be very specific where people need to find a set of particular items, or more general: find a narrow type of item in any of the ads and report the add and page number.

Sorry for the delay in picking the winners - it's been a little busy at GD HQ the last day or two...

To make up for the delay, we'll increase the prizes from 5 to 7 winners :)

The winners are:

okannie

smurfgirl

Bobbi0125

cinder

jesusluvu

kaystepp

stacya

Congrats and look for a new contest soon!

• Like 1