15% restocking fee at CC

I purchased the garmin street pilot c330, a navigation system for automobiles on black friday. I used it a couple of times, but primarily for a trip from NYC to PA. I am not too satisfied or impressed with this device. i went to CC today to try to return it, but they said there is a 15% restocking fee and on top of that i am not even able to return the 1 yr extended warantee, which i was planning on doing in order to sell it on ebay. I put everything back in its originial packaging and everything. I paid $500 for this thing so the fee will come out to $75!!!:eek: WHY WOULD IT COST $75 TOO PUT IT BACK ON THE DAMN SHELF!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

If anybody knows a way around this, i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. :)

Does CC know that you opened it and used it? If so, you just 'rented/borrowed' it for $75 for your trip.

If they don't believe you've opened it, they may go easy on you. Just tell them it was a gift for someone else and they didn't like it, or maybe you received it as a gift and maybe they'll hook you up with an in-store credit...without charging you 15% restocking fees.

An old buddy of mine that worked at an electronics store told me that they threw in the 15% restocking fees because they felt a lot of the times people would 'borrow' a digital camera/camcorder or a BigScreen TV for that special Bowl game and then return it after they used it for the purpose.

Debbie - These stores typically let you return if you are not satisfied within 14 (or 30) days for any reason at all.

Ditto CheapArse, it keeps people from "renting" things usually. I think 15% is a lot, but I have only returned one item (to Best Buy I think?) in the last few years and had to pay the fee.

The associates usually tell customers of this fee, though I don't think they are held liable (for the purchase, etc) if they forget. But you agree to the terms on the back of the receipt when you purchase the item (even with cash).

I'm looking to buy a couple of big ticket items (a laptop and a digital SLR camera) and I'm highly considering giving Costco all of my business because of their return policy. If I'm not happy with the product, I want to be able to return it. I don't currently have a membership, but I think it's probably worth the $45. My uncle has been a longtime member there and has never had a problem with a return.

I think it comes back down to "you get what you pay for". If you buy cheap pants at Target, expect them to get a hole. (Happens to my kids after just a couple of wears.) If you buy a product made by a company like Osh Kosh, North Face, Patagonia, etc. you might pay a little more up front, but if you're not absolutely happy or they wear out before you think they should, you can get them replaced at no cost. (My ds9 has been wearing his North Face Denali fleece for 3 years and it's still in good condition to pass down. They've also made good on a couple of other products for us over the years.)

I saw a laptop that I was considering on the back of the Circuit City flyer but instantly dismissed the idea of buying it based on what I've read about people's experiences with the store.

I feel bad for you having to pay a $75 restock fee because you're not happy with the product. I would go at a less busy time and see if you can at least work out a credit for part of the restock fee or something. If I spend that much money, I expect to be happy with my purchase.

I wouldn't return it honestly, I'd turn around and sell it on eBay or CraigsList. You'll take less of a hit financially IMO.

That said, Kayakmom - call your local Costco and ask about their laptop and camera return policy. It seems some Costco's through out the U.S. are only returning for 30 days while some are still holding to the six month policy. :)

We bought out laptop at Sam's and they told us that we had 6 months to return it for any reason if we were not satisfied. Bring in the receipt and have everything in the box for a full refund. He also told us you can' t do that anywhere else.

It says on Costco's website that their return policy for computers is 6 months. The item I need is only available online, so this is the policy that would apply:

Returns or Exchanges

Costco.com has a 100% guarantee on all of our merchandise. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we offer two convenient return methods. Costco.com refunds include shipping and handling fees.

1. You can return the item to the nearest Costco Wholesale location. To find a location,

please click here.

2. If you are unable to return your order to one of our warehouses, please e-mail us at

customer service. Please include your name, order confirmation number, phone number, and

reason for return. You will be contacted regarding your return within 5 to 7 business days.

Please note, as of November 4th, 2002 , the return policy for all desktop and notebook computers are six months from the date of purchase. Six months after purchase, all computer services and technical support will be subject to the applicable remaining manufacturer’s warranty.

One, I did not know you were buying online. Two, as I stated above, when I thought you were buying at a B&M, some stores seemed to have changed to a 30 day policy. It was meant as a simple and polite FYI. I knew what their site stated, but again, just trying to save you some money and stress if possible. That was all. :D

The comments about most retailers not being in the business of renting equipment is a good observation. It is a huge problem for all retailers and that is why some are now tracking how many times a customer returns items. I have heard rumors of retailers 'blacklisting' customers for returns abuse! One friend says that she was challenged at JC Penney because she had returned something that was the wrong size within a couple of weeks of another return.

A 15% restocking fee for a tech item that has been opened is not out-of-line. They will probably test and re-sell it as an open box item. That costs them employee time and lost profits. I know that I will not buy anything, at full price, if the box has been opened. I expect a DEEP discount on anything that has been opened, used as a demo, etc.

So, while I have empathy for your situation, I also can empathize with the store returns policy. You bought it, you used it, it's not defective. The old adage of "caveat emptor" is truer today than ever before.

As for the return policy at Costco -- it is one of the primary reasons that I buy 'big ticket' items there if I possibly can. Just be sure you make a copy of your receipt ASAP when you get home. The membership desk people told me that the thermal paper used for the cash register receipts will fade real fast if you don't store it in a cool dark place and that they will accept a copy of the receipt as proof.

alimfp, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I didn't mean anything bad by it at all. I was simply trying to help out others who might be looking for those larger ticket items with a good return policy. The Costco around here is near where I used to live, but it's a pretty far drive from where I live now, so I wouldn't have much opportunity to shop "in store". I was thinking of just having my uncle or mil buy the items for me, since there are only 2 that I really want, but then I figured if I need to return them I don't want to have to cause hassle upon anyone.

BigBob, thanks for the photocopy tip on the receipts. I'm a treasurer for Cub Scouts and when reviewing items from past events, I couldn't read the receipts anymore and they've been stored inside a 3 ring binder stapled to reimbursement forms. :rolleyes: I will remember to photocopy or scan the more important ones from now on.

As for returned items being sold as new - We bought a laptop at BJ's almost 2 years ago (the one I'm using now, as a matter of fact) and when we opened it, it had been used!!! It had all links saved to immigration and green card websites, lol. I just formatted the hard drive and kept it because it was the last one they had and I had already returned one for defective speakers. I did let them know and they had also dropped the price (on another one that was returned, I guess) so I ended up getting another $75 or so back the next time I went into the store.

I purchased the garmin street pilot c330, a navigation system for automobiles on black friday. I used it a couple of times, but primarily for a trip from NYC to PA. I am not too satisfied or impressed with this device. i went to CC today to try to return it, but they said there is a 15% restocking fee and on top of that i am not even able to return the 1 yr extended warantee, which i was planning on doing in order to sell it on ebay. I put everything back in its originial packaging and everything. I paid $500 for this thing so the fee will come out to $75!!!:eek: WHY WOULD IT COST $75 TOO PUT IT BACK ON THE DAMN SHELF!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

It's because of all the people that take advantage of the system. It's only a matter of time before WalMart starts doing it as well. You used it and now it's no longer new. What are they supposed to do with it? Would you have origianally paid full price for it if it had already been opened and used?

The Open Box stuff at the Circuit City where I work is usually cleaned and tested to make sure it works. The discount varies based on cosmetic damage of the product and the time it was out for. I have seen some digital cameras open-boxed for 150 dollars off (they were scratched up) and a laptop open-boxed for 30 dollars off (the customer did not even turn it on. he just took it out to look at it). For the most part, the open-box items are a pretty good deal, and the carry the same manufacturers warranty.

As for the 15% restocking fee, you guys are correct. My manager told me it is to prevent people from "renting" from us, and althought htis is mainly for tv's and stereo's there are some people who "rent" computers for school or whatever.

I think it comes back down to "you get what you pay for". If you buy cheap pants at Target, expect them to get a hole. (Happens to my kids after just a couple of wears.) If you buy a product made by a company like Osh Kosh, North Face, Patagonia, etc. you might pay a little more up front, but if you're not absolutely happy or they wear out before you think they should, you can get them replaced at no cost. (My ds9 has been wearing his North Face Denali fleece for 3 years and it's still in good condition to pass down. They've also made good on a couple of other products for us over the years.)

I buy my Osh Kosh at Target!

I highly recommend Sam's Club and Sam's Club Online. I bought a digital camera almost a year ago. Still under warranty, it broke. I contacted Sam's about it and they said I could return it to them. I get a credit to my card, no questions asked. If you purchase online, your reciept is always there for you to print out so you don't have to keep track of those things.

ok ok....i've learned my lesson! This is the first time i got stuck in a scenario like this...so i'm far from being one of those "customers who rent" people that you guys speak of. But, being a college student on a very low budget, I would really appreciate it if anybody could help me resolve this issue, even if it means minimizing my loss(to less than 30 bucks, preferably :D) Thank you everybody for your advice. I will definitely keep it in mind for future reference.