Family & friends relying on you

arci122

Anyone else have a line of family/friends/coworkers that want you to devote all of the time and effort planning, getting ads, making list, etc. and then just want to 'look' at your binder?  Not sure how I feel about this anymore.  Love helping others, but, maybe I should charge admission to my binder?

Thoughts?

And yes, I talk this site up constantly.  Even to strangers at the stores.

Not so much looking at my binder but I have people asking me about the deals, etc because they know that I know. They will also ask if a certain deal is the best or if I think they should wait. I coupon so I don't like spending more $ than I have to. I enjoy helping others save $ as well.

My family is already bugging me wanting to know what the prices will be on this and that on Black Friday... had to tell them I broke my "crystal ball"... but would keep them in the know as the ads are released. ;)  I'm the GO TO family member as far as the computer and internet sales go, as I am the one keeping up with it all and doing the online shopping... kind of fun - but they are all in such a rush this year!

Edited by magickallight

My family is irrational when it comes to BF. I spent the whole week cooking a Thanksgiving feast from scratch for 20 people, cleaned up, hosted overnight guests, made out my shopping lists, and as I was headed out the door the next morning my BIL asks me to swing by Best Buy and pick him up a lap top that was on sale. This was already 10am on BF because I didn't need any hot items! And half the family was mad at me because I wouldn't even try. So from then on I just leave the ads out on the table and do not even say I am going out. I get my list done well before the first guest arrives.

Absolutely!!! not only do I have to buy for my 5 kids and 3 gkids, I buy all the presents for my kids from my mom and mother in law.  then I have my kids gfriends, nieces, nephews etc.  Then my sister in laws always ask me if I can "pick" something up at the sale and it seems like it is the most desireable item at walmart like sheets or towels and I can never get them and the items I need. They refuse to go out so they have no idea what they are really asking.

My thing is with people that won't go out and want us to do it all is. Sorry you ain't gettin it. NOW with that at times I will call my sister or she will call me (we live in different states) and get things for each other. She and her husband go out every year like my wife and I do.

• Like 1

I kind of agree with that. I'm sure with people knowing I'm a coupon/saver now at work I'll get hassled for the best deal on this or that but quite frankly family/friends KNOW that BF is an each for themselves business UNLESS it's something A) not impossible to get and B) that I want whoever to have. For years I hit KBtoys with my mom for my cousins gifts from everyone on our side (us, aunt, grandma, etc).

I still shop for all of my aunts gifts but she has very limited funds and it annoys me to no end to hear she spent $ on a cute box for some clearance open package underwear/hankies/socks nobody really wants when I could have spent less on something that would have been appreciated more, like a full pj set from Target clearance or a bluray.

My thing is with people that won't go out and want us to do it all

I started jokingly telling friends and family a few years ago that for a small fee, I would be their personal shopper.  I don't mind helping out some and most of the time will volunteer "my services", lol, but I have a couple of people that will just give me their CC info and let me do their shopping for them.  It gets kind of old.  :gdenough:

• Like 1

Sounds like what some of us need for Christmas are NEW FAMILIES! 

:gd_pineap  :gd_orange  :gd_not_ri  :gd_pineap  :gd_orange  :gd_not_ri  :gd_pineap  :gd_orange  :gd_not_ri

Or new "friends" Actually had someone ask me to look for something for them today and then within five minutes "stab me in the back" 

Or new "friends" Actually had someone ask me to look for something for them today and then within five minutes "stab me in the back" 

lol...my coworkers were playing the opposite game yesterday. completely berate one another then ask for a favor.

it's so retarded because they do this multiple times a week and then still go out and spend $$$ on outrageous gifts for each other like they were REAL friends.  I've put it down to I expect too much from people.

lol...my coworkers were playing the opposite game yesterday. completely berate one another then ask for a favor.

it's so retarded because they do this multiple times a week and then still go out and spend $$$ on outrageous gifts for each other like they were REAL friends.  I've put it down to I expect too much from people.

Ya I've learned if you expect too much you will almost always be disappointed. I had to do this executive leadership off-site not too long ago and they did this personality thing to determine what type of person you are. My wife was asking me what it said about me and I said one of the places I scored high on was that I generally like people and take their thoughts and needs into account when making decisions. She starts laughing and said YOU LIKE PEOPLE. I said hey it's true I do like people just not stupid ones lol

My thing is with people that won't go out and want us to do it all is. Sorry you ain't gettin it. NOW with that at times I will call my sister or she will call me (we live in different states) and get things for each other. She and her husband go out every year like my wife and I do.

Exactly. They don't get that you have to stand in lines for certain things and then have the nerve to not have the money to give back when and if you bring it back. Nope not this year or the years to come. You can get out with me or leave me alone. I love you but this is war- LOL

• Like 1

Exactly. They don't get that you have to stand in lines for certain things and then have the nerve to not have the money to give back when and if you bring it back. Nope not this year or the years to come. You can get out with me or leave me alone. I love you but this is war- LOL

You got it. Like I said the ones who do go out we tend to help each other but if you don't want to invest the time you're not getting the spoils :)

I will have a couple family memebers if I had seen any deals on particlar item or 2. I do pick up gifts for my kids from my parents on that day since they are older and due to health issues can not go out for them selves plus are on fixed incomes. They do pay me for the gifts and I dont mind helping them out but I will not be shopping for anyone else. I doubt I will be out long shopping this year.

I don't mind sharing my binder or good prices. I DO mind when I get handed a list and am expected to buy things for someone else. My mantra is "I will shop for your stuff once I get all of mine." I'm not going to miss out on a deal I'm wanting so I can get my MIL ANOTHER $3 appliance.

Several years ago , I had took 1/2 day off on Black Friday and then hit work and brought all my finds to show  one of my coworkers( who is actually my best friend ) and the HR supervisor saw me holding up this great looking cashmere sweater that I had to wake up at 4am and stand inline out of the store and infront of the cashier for . The sweaters were 2 for $100 which was a great price for that kind of sweater.The original price I think was close to $200. For sure my friend thought I would flip. Instead I just told her yes I will sell it to you. I told her that the original price was xxx and the sale price was xx but I am willing to let go  at $300 including my gas and my time . She left in huff.Friend couldn't believe I did that. I told her this is a personal issue and am NOT afraid to bite back.Some people just has no manner.

My wife's friend had a similar situation, and I couldn't believe it. She attended an annual event that is always sold out. She went with a large group of about 25. At the event they said if you buy tickets today for next year, there's a 20% discount for a group of 10 or more. Many in the group wanted to take advantage of the discount but didn't have cash with them. My wife's friend surveyed the group and 18 of them wanted tickets, so she bought all 18 on her credit card and said they could pay her back after the event.

Six months later, 5 people had not paid her back, and 4 others decided they didn't want the ticket after all. That's half the group!

I don't mind picking up an item that my husband may want, but to do all-out shopping for other family members who don't want to go out into the "crazy" crowds, then no.  If they can't come out and stand in the lines and cold with me, then too bad.  I usually don't have any of them asking me to do it anyway, so it's never really been a problem.

If they want to look at my binder - that's fine. It's when they start asking me to pick up a "few things while you're out shopping" that makes me crazy. Black Friday is not "shopping"  - it is a dangerous mission to get the best possible deal without losing a limb in the process. And I don't usually have room in my SUV for your "few things", Sorry - get your butt out of bed at 1 AM like I do!

Is it wrong to feel this way?????

I just laugh when people say, "There is no way I would stand in line!!" and then are whining how much money they don't have to spend! I mean, use your coupons/time to get good deals. If you want it bad enough, then you can do it!!

There are about 16 of my group that goes, we eat Tgiving dinner at grannys, plan our routes and then divide and conquer. Our kids are old enough to go (16+) and help, so we use them as line holders. My dd and neice got the free underwater cameras at OldNavy a couple of years ago-they still use those and they are awesome and really work underwater!!!

It is so much fun figuring out what everyone wants and then making sure we get everything on everybodys lists!!!

:trampolin

Guess i'm an odd duck. I always have my shopping finished by Black Friday thanks to Amazon lightning deals, bestbuy.com, and of course Gottadeal website. There are really excellent deals posted all year long. I go out for my cousin who is divorced with 4 kids. He doesnt have anyone to help him, so I tend to take it on if he needs something from a b&m store that i wasnt able to order for him. I guess I just love the excitement of the hunt......
  • Like 1