Official Black Friday VIDEO GAMES Discussion Thread

Brad

My 10 year old daughter is asking for Disney Infinity. (I have 6 kids, ages 16, 12, 10, 6, 3, and 1.) The 1 year old is the only boy. My question is this: is the Disney Infinity game good for girls? Do they have girly characters? And how does it work? People compare it to Skylanders, but we don't have that one. My husband is wary of it because it seems to nickel and dime you. Like there's all this extra stuff you have to pay for. Could someone explain how this type of game works? Is it worth it? Do you think a girl would enjoy it? 

My other question is: my husband would like GTA5 Special Edition. Apparently he read enough reviews that said the special edition is worth it, so he wants that one. Is this something that can be found in stores or just online? Is it something that might be on sale on BF or before Christmas?

This is pretty much the only thing I "have" to pick up. So I'll go wherever I get the best deal on that for bf.

Walmart on line has it for 249 w/50 ecard =200 today  I would purchase it and if you find one cheaper BF, return it. I purchased the same similar bundle except it came with 2 games last year for 200 from Target. Microsoft did a deal on them last year on BF too for about the same price so there's another place to watch.

Now the question is 4 or 250 hard drive. I can tell you I purchased the 4 with the thought I could use a thumb drive for the extra storage needed for an older Star Wars game. Didn't work. For what I wanted it for, I should have went with the larger hard drive space. It's fine for all the other games, but didn't work for the main game I bought it for. (Game was never released on PS2 or PS3) 

Hint- If there are particular games you want the xbox for, make sure they work with the configuration you are looking at buying.

• Like 1

I'm glad I didn't pass on Amazon's Xbox 360 deal.  There was some debate if there would be a better deal on BF, but doesn't look like it from the ads that have been released.  

I would go for the bigger hard drive 250 vs 4.  It will be worth the price difference.  

• Like 1

Walmart on line has it for 249 w/50 ecard =200 today  I would purchase it and if you find one cheaper BF, return it. I purchased the same similar bundle except it came with 2 games last year for 200 from Target. Microsoft did a deal on them last year on BF too for about the same price so there's another place to watch.

Now the question is 4 or 250 hard drive. I can tell you I purchased the 4 with the thought I could use a thumb drive for the extra storage needed for an older Star Wars game. Didn't work. For what I wanted it for, I should have went with the larger hard drive space. It's fine for all the other games, but didn't work for the main game I bought it for. (Game was never released on PS2 or PS3) 

Hint- If there are particular games you want the xbox for, make sure they work with the configuration you are looking at buying.

Thank you - I appreciate your help.

I'm glad I didn't pass on Amazon's Xbox 360 deal.  There was some debate if there would be a better deal on BF, but doesn't look like it from the ads that have been released.  

I would go for the bigger hard drive 250 vs 4.  It will be worth the price difference.  

The major players have not chimed in yet, so stay tuned! Amazon is normally the store that you price-match to, as in their famous, "Tell us about a lower price" link. You would normally look for Amazon to only lower their price when the competition runs their Advertisement.

Hope this is in the right place. Gamestop has a PS3 250GB Bundle with Lego Harry Potter Yrs 5-7, Lego Batman 2 DC Superheroes, and Little Big Planet: Karting for $250. Is that a good deal on that particular bundle, or does anyone think I  might be able to find it cheaper on Black Friday or closer to Christmas? I'm always afraid I won't be able to find something if I try waiting for a better price.

I went ahead and got the Disney infinity at walmart for $55. They had it in store for $79.96 for the xbox but online they had it for around $55 so I price matched them with their online price and got it. (i didn't know they arent suppose to priced match with theirselves until I got to the register and the girl told me. She was kind enough to allow it but had to get a CSM to approve it). I know TRU is suppose to have it on sale n BFbut that's not a place that I'll be hitting up so I just went hophead and got it.

I'm debating on doing the same. I'd rather pay TRU's BF price (since the reviews on it are just so-so), but I won't be shopping on Thanksgiving, so TRU is out. And haven't seen it for less than Walmart's price anywhere yet. Wondering if Amazon will lower it later?

My 10 year old daughter is asking for Disney Infinity. (I have 6 kids, ages 16, 12, 10, 6, 3, and 1.) The 1 year old is the only boy. My question is this: is the Disney Infinity game good for girls? Do they have girly characters? And how does it work? People compare it to Skylanders, but we don't have that one. My husband is wary of it because it seems to nickel and dime you. Like there's all this extra stuff you have to pay for. Could someone explain how this type of game works? Is it worth it? Do you think a girl would enjoy it? 

My other question is: my husband would like GTA5 Special Edition. Apparently he read enough reviews that said the special edition is worth it, so he wants that one. Is this something that can be found in stores or just online? Is it something that might be on sale on BF or before Christmas?

I'm looking for it for my dd 10 also. She's really into Minecraft, and from what I can tell, the "sandbox" mode in Infinity is somewhat similar - imaginative building and play - but with Disney characters, so we're confident that she'll love it. It looks as though it might be one of those "fun for the whole family" type games. As far as "girly" goes - I found a Rapunzel character online at Walmart for about $12.95 and free shipping, to pre-order. As with everything Disney - it has the potential to nickle & dime you for sure. But since we like Disney, we'd rather be nickle & dimed with cute movie figurines than some of the other ugly stuff that's out there - lol. And we figure we'll be buying the kids something for their stockings, and something for their Easter baskets, and something for their birthdays, etc. anyway, so again, it might as well be those as anything else. But, I'm definitely looking for the absolute best deals possible on this stuff, that's for sure.

Hope this is in the right place. Gamestop has a PS3 250GB Bundle with Lego Harry Potter Yrs 5-7, Lego Batman 2 DC Superheroes, and Little Big Planet: Karting for $250. Is that a good deal on that particular bundle, or does anyone think I  might be able to find it cheaper on Black Friday or closer to Christmas? I'm always afraid I won't be able to find something if I try waiting for a better price.

I bought a PS3 (250 gb with Little Big Planet 2 & Ratchet & Clank) on BF a couple years ago for $199.  I would think that it would go lower since the PS4 is being released, but all the ads I've seen so far has it priced at $199 (I'm not sure what games come with it).  So, I'm not really impressed with Gamestop's deal.  Each of those games is roughly $15 a piece.  It's not a bad deal, but not a great one either. You can always buy it and return it for a better deal.   

• Like 1

For Xbox games, don't forget to look at Microsoft store site deals. Last year BF, I got several different new releases for $15 plus the ability to buy on line, I thought I hit the mother lode.

I didn't find out about the Microsoft deals until about 2 days before Thanksgiving. I don't see them listed yet, but I'm watching for sure.

• Like 1

Could someone explain how disney infinity works for me?  I bought the starter kit for my daughter on the walmart "fiasco" sale for $18.  that lets  her play monsters inc, pirates, and incredibles.  how do all of the add on parts work?  that is what confuses me.  If I buy a single character (jack skellington, rapunzel for example) would she be able to play in those worlds too?  or do you only get new worlds if you buy the packs with 3 characters?  I just don't understand how the add on character/packs work.

Could someone explain how disney infinity works for me?  I bought the starter kit for my daughter on the walmart "fiasco" sale for $18.  that lets  her play monsters inc, pirates, and incredibles.  how do all of the add on parts work?  that is what confuses me.  If I buy a single character (jack skellington, rapunzel for example) would she be able to play in those worlds too?  or do you only get new worlds if you buy the packs with 3 characters?  I just don't understand how the add on character/packs work.

As others have indicated all over the web they are separate worlds, so you do have to buy the additional characters to play in the same world. Great for the Disney folks, but I am going to advise against such an investment as parents are reporting that the kids get bored rather quickly. If you bought it cheap, just consider that an inexpensive gift that will end up in the toy bin like all of the other stuff after Christmas. The Skylanders seem to do a much better job at holding a child's interest.

I bought a PS3 (250 gb with Little Big Planet 2 & Ratchet & Clank) on BF a couple years ago for $199.  I would think that it would go lower since the PS4 is being released, but all the ads I've seen so far has it priced at $199 (I'm not sure what games come with it).  So, I'm not really impressed with Gamestop's deal.  Each of those games is roughly $15 a piece.  It's not a bad deal, but not a great one either. You can always buy it and return it for a better deal.   

One of the main reasons why the Gamestop ad is receiving so much love right now, is the absence of any major player to compare the ad to. My prediction is that my original opinion of the ad being sub-par will hold true once we see the big boys chime in. Another good point of yours is the return of anything that the price did not hold up on. Check the store return policy, check your plastic(card issuer limits, bank or CC company for Black Friday purchases) to make sure the limits are good to go, and keep those receipts in a safe place! If you get a receipt with that funny glossy surface, scan it , name it and save it on your computer. The ink famously disappears over time! Request duplicate receipts online or emailed to you where applicable.

The special edition has been selling out. This does not appear to be a winning situation, price-wise. If it is the PS3 version you are after, Toys R US still has it. If you purchase it now, keep the receipt.

One of the main reasons why the Gamestop ad is receiving so much love right now, is the absence of any major player to compare the ad to. My prediction is that my original opinion of the ad being sub-par will hold true once we see the big boys chime in. Another good point of yours is the return of anything that the price did not hold up on. Check the store return policy, check your plastic(card issuer limits, bank or CC company for Black Friday purchases) to make sure the limits are good to go, and keep those receipts in a safe place! If you get a receipt with that funny glossy surface, scan it , name it and save it on your computer. The ink famously disappears over time! Request duplicate receipts online or emailed to you where applicable.

You are absolutely correct!  I'm just surprised to see the price still the same as what I paid 2 years ago considering that the PS4 is being released.  From the ads that have been released, and I consider Meijer to be a major store, the PS3 seems to be consistently priced - for now..   That's why I thought  Amazon was a great deal at $239 because it had the larger hard drive and the Kinect.  

That's great advice about scanning the receipt.  Some receipts the ink does rub off.  Great suggestion!!!

Edited by Dylansmommy

I haven't seen the X box live cards go lower than 39.99 yet.  Last year i'm sure I had gotten mine already at this point for 34.99?  Did I miss it?

and Has anyone seen the points?  Last year the only store that had them on sale was Target?  I hope someone has both on sale?

The special edition has been selling out. This does not appear to be a winning situation, price-wise. If it is the PS3 version you are after, Toys R US still has it. If you purchase it now, keep the receipt.

Thank you. You were right. After searching online, TRU is the only one carrying it. 

I haven't seen the X box live cards go lower than 39.99 yet.  Last year i'm sure I had gotten mine already at this point for 34.99?  Did I miss it?

and Has anyone seen the points?  Last year the only store that had them on sale was Target?  I hope someone has both on sale?

I am looking for these as well....last year I got it through ebay for $34.99...keeping my fingers crossed they do it again...if not Target has the 3 month cards for $10....which comes out to $40 (12 months)...which would be my last option.

this thread says "games" buy being I know little about DS systems, we have a 3 year old Nintendo DSi which my son dropped and we cannot get to turn on again. I see the Nintendo 2Ds is 99 on BF @ Walmart, will it play the DSi games... or what type of games do I look for/ am I gonna have trouble finding much of a selection this year/next year?