Official Black Friday HDTV Discussion Thread

Brad

Hubby refuses to look at LGs or Plasmas.   

Then maybe it's time to trade up.  (KIDDING!)

Seriously, what is his deal?

We are looking at getting the Vizio 60" at Walmart.

You're killing me now. That LG Len posted is an EXPONENTIALLY better deal.

LED vs Plasma is Pepsi vs Coke all over again.  You will only convert someone to plasma after you watch am amazing movie with them in a dark room.  It just doesn't work in a department store.  

LED vs Plasma is Pepsi vs Coke all over again.  You will only convert someone to plasma after you watch am amazing movie with them in a dark room.  It just doesn't work in a department store.  

I'm all about plasma, great colors, great dark's, don't have to worry about 60Hz, 120Hz or 240Hz :)

I'm sad they are dying away and I will be keeping my out to see when they go on sale so I can upgrade my now 6 year old 50" Toshiba Plasma.

Yup, that's why I try to do my TV shopping in specialty stores.  There was a store up in Indianapolis called Ovation that did a great job of this.  They had a test room that they'd set up the amp and speakers you were looking at and you could A/B them right there with the very equipment you intended to use.  You could even bring in your own stuff and test it there if you were looking to upgrade just a part of it (ie bring in your amp to test their speakers).  And they had several sitting/viewing rooms where you could control the light and everything.  Awesome stuff.  Just about guarantee they'd sell plasmas like hotcakes over LCD's as they were actually presenting them in the right fashion - not under banks of super-bright (and glaring) lights that you don't have in your home.  Those guys really knew their stuff too.

Haven't done any significant upgrading since I moved down here to Atlanta.  Need to find a new spot I suppose.

Best deal, no lines...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A6999908&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

http://i.dell.com/img.aspx?p=YQahImQHEP9%2FXMtP2FOnFq773xPhCjIms2jX7RHWco%2FvSj2Y5DI1i3FtHU6Vh6bcc29OHWVpMplkjaWUS3l%2F%2FUPZ2jW9AXpoGbTuXaRofC7hU%2B0HHcmb%2BscIaXelJ6qzSE9RzXSTOkoFFbB5OIalhRykiCj4oQFaPVsEdcSfstbIKkk%3D$709.99

you can also get a $400 gift card and get a $75 gift card before you buy this which will save you another $75.

Can someone please tell me how to get the $400 and $75 gift card?  A link maybe?  I have been on the Dell sight, but I am not seeing this promotion....thank you! 

Dude, will that price leave you without enough money to buy curtains?   :gd_purple

Haha, yea that would be an option. Biggerst thing is the room it would go in, a 50'' is probably max size for it.

Of course, I could always pick this up and just wait until I move at some point after the first of the year to a place of my own...

Yup, that's why I try to do my TV shopping in specialty stores. There was a store up in Indianapolis called Ovation that did a great job of this. They had a test room that they'd set up the amp and speakers you were looking at and you could A/B them right there with the very equipment you intended to use. You could even bring in your own stuff and test it there if you were looking to upgrade just a part of it (ie bring in your amp to test their speakers). And they had several sitting/viewing rooms where you could control the light and everything. Awesome stuff. Just about guarantee they'd sell plasmas like hotcakes over LCD's as they were actually presenting them in the right fashion - not under banks of super-bright (and glaring) lights that you don't have in your home. Those guys really knew their stuff too.

Haven't done any significant upgrading since I moved down here to Atlanta. Need to find a new spot I suppose.

There's Evolution Home Theater in Duluth. Personally, I'd feel bad doing demos there, because there's no way I can afford virtually anything they sell. But MAN is the place nice.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nine-products-not-buy-black-171203359.html

4. Higher-end HDTV

According to Gottadeal’s Olson, high-end TVs are not a good buy during Black Friday. Instead, companies tend to give bigger discounts for lower-end TVs. These TVs often serve as loss leaders, meaning the retailer sells the product at a loss in order to entice customers to shop there. Watch out for accessories like HDMI cables, though, they’ll still cost you.

This caught my eye this morning. I have been doing some research and I am thinking that the 55" samsung led smart tv in the wal mart BF ad is NOT a lower end tv...am I correct in this?

Thanks so much.

Jenn

Edited by Jenn_A

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nine-products-not-buy-black-171203359.html

4. Higher-end HDTV

According to Gottadeal’s Olson, high-end TVs are not a good buy during Black Friday. Instead, companies tend to give bigger discounts for lower-end TVs. These TVs often serve as loss leaders, meaning the retailer sells the product at a loss in order to entice customers to shop there. Watch out for accessories like HDMI cables, though, they’ll still cost you.

This caught my eye this morning. I have been doing some research and I am thinking that the 55" samsung led smart tv in the wal mart BF ad is NOT a lower end tv...am I correct in this?

Thanks so much.

Jenn

I agree, I guess.  I have never purchased a television on BF.  My 50" Samsung Plasma was a deal from September.  That said, if the set you want happens to be on sale on BF, there is no reason not to.  I disagree with the winter clothes recommendation.  Kohls is a great place to buy clothes, they discount clothes on BF, and they give Kohls Cash 15/50, so lots of good deals.

I hesitate to write this (bad luck) but, I have a westinghouse that I bought at walmart (32") several years ago when the bulb went out on our Sony and we were waiting for a warranty replacement. It is still going strong and has a great picture. He has seen a lot of play time as well, it is our bedroom TV and I slept with it on for years when my husband was overseas working.

That is a hella good deal. If I were in the market for a set, I'd be all over it.

Best deal, no lines...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A6999908&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

http://i.dell.com/img.aspx?p=YQahImQHEP9%2FXMtP2FOnFq773xPhCjIms2jX7RHWco%2FvSj2Y5DI1i3FtHU6Vh6bcc29OHWVpMplkjaWUS3l%2F%2FUPZ2jW9AXpoGbTuXaRofC7hU%2B0HHcmb%2BscIaXelJ6qzSE9RzXSTOkoFFbB5OIalhRykiCj4oQFaPVsEdcSfstbIKkk%3D$709.99

you can also get a $400 gift card and get a $75 gift card before you buy this which will save you another $75.

I bought the 60PN5700 Smart TV at FRYs for $699 in May and I love it.

He is an Electrician and has been installing some large screens for his job.  He just does not like them based on what he has had to install.  He worked at the UN when they redid the conference rooms and said he learned a lot about them.  Its his TV so he got to choose brand.  I have a Vizio in the bedroom and I love it.  We went today to look and again he would have nothing to do with LG.

Okay, could use some help. I'm looking for a 32-40 inch tv, I don't need a Smart TV, have a Roku for streaming and I'm quite happy with it. Don't need 1080 as I have a small living room and I'll never be more than 15 feet away from the tv. and I don't want the cheapest one either. Mostly, my son wants to be able to play 2 player on Minecraft on the Xbox, and it's not supported on my old tube tv. 

go out on BF for it, or just shop around after the sales?

I was told that my local wal mart had VERY few of the samsung 55" tv's...shew....I hope that I get there early enough but I am NOT going to cut into family time short just for a tv. If we don't get one then we will find another deal.

Jenn

I'm partial to Samsung sets as well.  When I started looking at plasma sets, it was Kuro, Sony-Samsung-Panasonic, and everyone else.  I couldn't afford a Kuro and Sony priced their sets between Kuro and Samsung/Panasonic, so the latter were the best value.  Right now, I would get either a Samsung or a Panasonic.  I'm hoping LG gives Samsung a run for their money once Panasonic exits.

That said, LGs look very good except when sitting next a Samsung so I don't think anyone would be disappointed buying a less expensive LG set.

I have an RCA plasma which is supposed to be a rebranded Samsung.  I'm very happy with that.  My everywhere sets are inexpensive Dynex LCDs and I have no complaints there.  Frankly, it's getting tough to buy a poor television set.

Exactly this...my husband was back and forth with BB two years ago, and was bringing both Samsung and LG TVs to compare, and you'd never know LG had the worse picture, until having them side by side to see how great the Samsung picture is...we probably went through about 6 TVs before going with our Samsung...

For anyone who has, or is thinking about getting, an LG set, you might want to read this...

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/11/25/lg-decides-its-tvs-dont-steal-personal-information-viewing-info-isnt-personal/

'cause Comcast and Verizon don't do that.  Seriously, clicks are not private -- not even on a TV.  Read the Roku policy on privacy ... they collect PII on children unknowingly (they do not ask your age) and will make 'reasonable' efforts to remedy this.  If you want privacy, get an antenna.

• Like 1

Oooh, I get so mad at myself when I can't figure out where I read something, and I know DH will ask where I got this info, so I have to ask...

Didn't someone say that the Element TVs are actually made by a different manufacturer?  Was it Vizio?  Just trying to have all of my ducks in a row so we can figure out if we want to try and get the 40" from WM or the 50" from Target...