Official Black Friday HDTV Discussion Thread

Brad

I just picked up a 32" Seiki TV for $129 at a Veterans Day sale at AAFES.

I was actually very surprised by the quality... nice thin bezel and full 1080p.

If you have access to an AAFES you can grab one for the next couple days.

Thank you!  My mom was planning on getting my daughter a TV, and she has access to the Exchange.  Wish ours hadn't closed, now the closest is 2 hours away...  She is checking now to see if it can be ordered online.  It says limited quantities.

Why bother? It's a guarantee stock item. Unless you need it that day, I don't see a reason to even line up.

They stop handing out guarantee cards at 7pm. Last year at my walmart there was still a line of people outside an hour after they opened. So I'm thinking if you aren't at least in the store by 7 you are out of luck. Also, what if you are in the store by say 6:30 but there is a line to get the tv/guarantee card and you don't get to the front of that line until 7:05? Just wondering I've never waited for those types of items but might this year.

Why bother? It's a guarantee stock item. Unless you need it that day, I don't see a reason to even line up.

They stop handing out guarantee cards at 7pm. Last year at my walmart there was still a line of people outside an hour after they opened. So I'm thinking if you aren't at least in the store by 7 you are out of luck. Also, what if you are in the store by say 6:30 but there is a line to get the tv/guarantee card and you don't get to the front of that line until 7:05? Just wondering I've never waited for those types of items but might this year.
Last year in our store, the lines moved fast. I was able to get both of the big ticket items I wanted by myself. We have a 24/7 Walmart so there were no outside lines. The longest line I waited in was the checkout line! Lol

60" Vizio or 55" Samsung....ughhhhhhh.......decisions decisions!

The 60" screen has almost 20% more screen area than the 55".

Time to do some research and see what the reviews look like on those two tv's.  :)

For me, I don't think the 60" would fit above my fireplace without significant architectural changes...

The 60" screen has almost 20% more screen area than the 55".

Time to do some research and see what the reviews look like on those two tv's.  :)

For me, I don't think the 60" would fit above my fireplace without significant architectural changes...

Yep I have been pouring over reviews! I like samsung brand the best but I am not finding many reviews on that one. 

Either size would fit my house just fine. I have a 46 samsung (which we paid a small fortune for at sear's about 5-6 years ago!) hanging in the LR right now which would move to my bedroom when we get the new one up :)

Jenn

Does the Insignia 39 for $169.99 a good deal? I have a 19 Insignia Flat panel TV (was given to me brand new for free) but havent got to use it yet,  and wondering if it was a good brand or at least better then westinghouse or element. Need some opinions on this!

• Like 1

Does the Insignia 39 for $169.99 a good deal? I have a 19 Insignia Flat panel TV (was given to me brand new for free) but havent got to use it yet,  and wondering if it was a good brand or at least better then westinghouse or element. Need some opinions on this!

If you are looking for opinions on a deal or product, please provide links.

Best deal, no lines...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A6999908&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

http://i.dell.com/img.aspx?p=YQahImQHEP9%2FXMtP2FOnFq773xPhCjIms2jX7RHWco%2FvSj2Y5DI1i3FtHU6Vh6bcc29OHWVpMplkjaWUS3l%2F%2FUPZ2jW9AXpoGbTuXaRofC7hU%2B0HHcmb%2BscIaXelJ6qzSE9RzXSTOkoFFbB5OIalhRykiCj4oQFaPVsEdcSfstbIKkk%3D$709.99

you can also get a $400 gift card and get a $75 gift card before you buy this which will save you another $75.

• Like 2

Best deal, no lines...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A6999908&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

http://i.dell.com/img.aspx?p=YQahImQHEP9%2FXMtP2FOnFq773xPhCjIms2jX7RHWco%2FvSj2Y5DI1i3FtHU6Vh6bcc29OHWVpMplkjaWUS3l%2F%2FUPZ2jW9AXpoGbTuXaRofC7hU%2B0HHcmb%2BscIaXelJ6qzSE9RzXSTOkoFFbB5OIalhRykiCj4oQFaPVsEdcSfstbIKkk%3D$709.99

you can also get a $400 gift card and get a $75 gift card before you buy this which will save you another $75.

That is a hella good deal. If I were in the market for a set, I'd be all over it.

• Like 1

LG 55-Inch LED Smart TV - 55LN5790 HDTV and Sound Bar with $200 PROMO eGift Card

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&category_id=6816&~ck=bt&sort=price&p=2

You got me started! here is another great deal! $850.99

The model at Dell seems to be a slightly newer run of the Best Buy BF deal(which does not include the sound bar and gift card).

• Like 1

Thanks for the help but the 70" Vizio is not listed on the guarantee, only the 60".  I'm going to be there at 5:00, it's sure to be a hot item.

5:00 sounds like a gamble to me. You are basically betting on the clientele who shop there to fall for the least expensive sets. Good luck, and let us know if you get one.

Of course it is! Insignia TVs are made with LG internals. I own both Insignia and LG TVs. (And Toshiba s from last year!)

5:00 sounds like a gamble to me. You are basically betting on the clientele who shop there to fall for the least expensive sets. Good luck, and let us know if you get one.

I live in a small town.  Got to WM the past three years two hours before the sale started and always been one of the first in line.

Best deal, no lines...

Wow!

Westinghouse 40" vs. Element 50"?

At Target...thoughts??

There both off brands, but if I had to choose for you, Element would be the best but if its for a bedroom,  I would choose the westinghouse, i couldnt do a big tv for a bedroom.

Best deal, no lines...

Hubby refuses to look at LGs or Plasmas.   This a great deal I will show my friend who is looking for a TV.  Where do I find out aout the $400 gift card plus $75 gift card to make a better deal.  We are looking at getting the Vizio 60" at Walmart.

I purchased two of the 60" Vizios at Wal-Mart last BF and have been absolutely thrilled with them.  The picture is amazing--much better than I expected for this price range.  I would say the sound is just "so-so," but you don't buy this set for the sound--you can either add a soundbar or use a surround sound receiver.

Depending on what you want to spend can changed what you get. Samsung makes a good TV, people seem to like Sharp though I've never owned one. I like Vizio on the not as expensive side they in general get very good reviews Toshiba is usually good as is LG. I'm sure you will get many more in depth lists than mine here :)

In terms of reliability alone, Consumer Reports shows the following for reliability

Best: Panasonic

Second Group: Dynex, Sony, Sharp, Sylvania, Insignia, JVC, Magnavox, and LG

Third Group: Sanyo, Samsung, Toshiba, Philips, Vizio, and RCA

Worst by far: Westinghouse

I find some of those surprising.  Incidentally, I own a very good Samsung 3D Smart TV (my main TV), but also two Westinghouse TVs bought on Black Fridays for bedrooms and a small Insignia TV in our kitchen.  The Samsung is great, the Westy's aren't as good, but they are doing just fine, especially for the prices I paid.  The little Insignia has developed a dead line of pixels, but my wife just uses it while cooking, so we haven't rushed to replace it and I got it for a good price.

Back to your question: I would say Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba, Sony.

one thing to think about when buying a visio tv is they almost all have issues with there power supply in 2-4 yr time frame it isn't a hard fix  but just a heads up . and to help out i have a 5 yr old vizio plasma that sits beside a very bright window with no glare period and with my new Panasonic plasma  with a window directly opposite of it there is no glare ether but the Samsung 8000 ser that i had there  last had the glossy screen and it showed glare like no other. so don't rule plasma's out just because of windows and if your a sports fan you defiantly want to go plasma

and  

I have all Samsungs in my house. The local tv store carries LG. They told me Samsung, Lg, then about 40 off brands and Rca is below that. I got mine all from amazon except the 40 inch and got it from sears the week before black friday, cheaper than in the bf ad. 

and with your list both dynex and insignia are best buy brands  and that's one reason i only shop for tv's there 

I have all Samsungs in my house. The local tv store carries LG. They told me Samsung, Lg, then about 40 off brands and Rca is below that. I got mine all from amazon except the 40 inch and got it from sears the week before black friday, cheaper than in the bf ad. 

I'm partial to Samsung sets as well.  When I started looking at plasma sets, it was Kuro, Sony-Samsung-Panasonic, and everyone else.  I couldn't afford a Kuro and Sony priced their sets between Kuro and Samsung/Panasonic, so the latter were the best value.  Right now, I would get either a Samsung or a Panasonic.  I'm hoping LG gives Samsung a run for their money once Panasonic exits.

That said, LGs look very good except when sitting next a Samsung so I don't think anyone would be disappointed buying a less expensive LG set.

I have an RCA plasma which is supposed to be a rebranded Samsung.  I'm very happy with that.  My everywhere sets are inexpensive Dynex LCDs and I have no complaints there.  Frankly, it's getting tough to buy a poor television set.

In terms of reliability alone, Consumer Reports shows the following for reliability

Best: Panasonic

Second Group: Dynex, Sony, Sharp, Sylvania, Insignia, JVC, Magnavox, and LG

Third Group: Sanyo, Samsung, Toshiba, Philips, Vizio, and RCA

Worst by far: Westinghouse

I find some of those surprising.  Incidentally, I own a very good Samsung 3D Smart TV (my main TV), but also two Westinghouse TVs bought on Black Fridays for bedrooms and a small Insignia TV in our kitchen.  The Samsung is great, the Westy's aren't as good, but they are doing just fine, especially for the prices I paid.  The little Insignia has developed a dead line of pixels, but my wife just uses it while cooking, so we haven't rushed to replace it and I got it for a good price.

Back to your question: I would say Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba, Sony.

This is one of those situations where you need to dig into the data to use the analysis correctly.  Samsung had a problem with power supplies which has since been mitigated.  That might be driving the metrics.

People used to cite the DOA metrics when dismissing Acer computers.  At one time it was nearly 25%.  That means 75% were fine.  You buy from Wal-mart, if it does not work, exchange for one that likely will.  Of course, a closer look at the reasons for return may have not been actual defects as much as user errors.  The 'People of Wal-mart' may have troubles using a computer properly and return working models as defective,

I like anecdotes, so here is one.  In the 80s I worked in the Brand Name Value department of a retailer.  That is the department that sells electronics.  We sold Atari, Commodore, and Coleco computers.  One day when I arrived at work, I was directed to the service desk where every single Atari computer was stacked in shopping carts with tags indicating defective.  Every tag said 'defective memory' and described how the 64k computers only had 48k of memory when tested.  It turned out that the Atari only tested the 48k of memory because the other 16k bank was running the memory test program.

I don't read CR, so I do not know if they described their reliability studies, but I have only ever had one television fail on my in my fifty year recollection of such things.  It was dropped.

• Like 1