Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

I have an Asus but it does not have Office suite.  Also DS has tried an app he got for his iphone and it wont work for him.  Do you have any apps you can recommend for us to download.  DS has an Asus also the Eee pad I have the TF300.  Both of us have the keyboard.  DD has the Acer Iconia A500 which no longer updates...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andropenoffice&hl=en

I've used Open Office on desktops and laptops for years. While there are minor differences in functionality, the important thing is that you can save your work in MS-compatible formats.

I haven't looked for an app on my iPhone yet; I'll have to get back to you on that.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andropenoffice&hl=en

I've used Open Office on desktops and laptops for years. While there are minor differences in functionality, the important thing is that you can save your work in MS-compatible formats.

I haven't looked for an app on my iPhone yet; I'll have to get back to you on that.

Thank you will have to check it out.  I know I had open office on my laptop but it never worked properly so I ended buying Microsoft student office for me and the kids.  Maybe it is just me.  LOL

If anyone is looking for a great windows tablet, check out the K3011 at Office Depot.com.  Its no powerhouse, but handles multi tasking and 1080p video without missing a beat.

1.5lb's

11.6in Screen

64GB HD

2GB MEM

microSD

Bluetooth 4.0

Windows 8

All at 249$ right now, don't let the refurbished scare you, I've bought 3 and their all good to go.  1 Year warranties, to which I verified online with their serial numbers.

Edited by Klownicle

Great price! I have the Lenovo Thinkpad 2, which is the business line, and it's great.

If anyone is looking for a great windows tablet, check out the K3011 at Office Depot.com.  Its no powerhouse, but handles multi tasking and 1080p video without missing a beat.

1.5lb's

11.6in Screen

64GB HD

2GB MEM

microSD

Bluetooth 4.0

Windows 8

All at 249$ right now, don't let the refurbished scare you, I've bought 3 and their all good to go.  1 Year warranties, to which I verified online with their serial numbers.

I have an Asus but it does not have Office suite.  Also DS has tried an app he got for his iphone and it wont work for him.  Do you have any apps you can recommend for us to download.  DS has an Asus also the Eee pad I have the TF300.  Both of us have the keyboard.  DD has the Acer Iconia A500 which no longer updates...

Has he tried MS Office for his iPhone? MS released it a while back.

Microcenter has the surface with keyboard for $179, in store only. Not sure what the dates are, but it is supposedly live now.

No stores here. :(

I found that deal earlier today, it was a preorder for Black Friday - pick up in store, however, they stopped selling the preorder because of the high demand.  I know it includes a keyboard too.  Don't know if they will have more than the preorder quantity in the store for me to bother making the trip over there on Friday.

I found that deal earlier today, it was a preorder for Black Friday - pick up in store, however, they stopped selling the preorder because of the high demand.  I know it includes a keyboard too.  Don't know if they will have more than the preorder quantity in the store for me to bother making the trip over there on Friday.

Boo, hope you can get one!

My husband nonchalantly mentioned this deal to me a bit ago, he read it on one of his techie sites earlier today.  I was like WHY didn't you tell me this earlier?!  I need to let everyone on GD know!  He said he'd be sure to tell me things sooner next time...

Nabi 2 Tablet with 8GB Memory

Android OS 7" tablet features a kid-friendly interface, a drop-safe bumper, and full parental controls.

Best Buy Deal of the Day: In store and online. Limited quantities.

$129.99

Regular Price: $179.99

You Save: $50 (28%)

FREE SHIPPING

Boo, hope you can get one!

My husband nonchalantly mentioned this deal to me a bit ago, he read it on one of his techie sites earlier today. I was like WHY didn't you tell me this earlier?! I need to let everyone on GD know! He said he'd be sure to tell me things sooner next time...

my friend at workplace is a member of a another unnamed deal site and he found it listed there. He didn't let me know until he saw it after he got back from lunch and by then it was too late. Just wondering why we didn't find it here? Made me sad :(

I am the ultimate GD'er, I only check GD. Bit me in the butt this time unfortunately this time. Doesn't happen often.

Edited by nikkilugi

I have a Hisense 7 Pro on layaway for my boys but I saw that Best Buy has the previous generation Kindle Fire HD for 99.00 (saves me about $ 30.00). 

They will use the tablet for you tube and facebook mostly.  They are not into games or anything or like that.  They may add a drawing app and a few more apps.  I know that the Kindle doesn't have expandable storage and the Hisense does.  I really do not know much about tablets so I need your help...lol.  Which would you do? 

I have two of these to buy.

I have a Hisense 7 Pro on layaway for my boys but I saw that Best Buy has the previous generation Kindle Fire HD for 99.00 (saves me about $ 30.00). 

They will use the tablet for you tube and facebook mostly.  They are not into games or anything or like that.  They may add a drawing app and a few more apps.  I know that the Kindle doesn't have expandable storage and the Hisense does.  I really do not know much about tablets so I need your help...lol.  Which would you do? 

I have two of these to buy.

what the heck is a hisense? never heard of it

the kindle would be your better option for the price

Yep, know what you mean. There don't seem to be a lot of posts on Surface or Windows 8 tablets here, not many fans. So I try to post them as I come across them and answer questions as I can.

Good luck, hope you can still find one! I'm going to probably try the eBay deal, that's the next best one.

my friend at workplace is a member of a another unnamed deal site and he found it listed there. He didn't let me know until he saw it after he got back from lunch and by then it was too late. Just wondering why we didn't find it here? Made me sad :(

I am the ultimate GD'er, I only check GD. Bit me in the butt this time unfortunately this time. Doesn't happen often.

Yep, know what you mean. There don't seem to be a lot of posts on Surface or Windows 8 tablets here, not many fans. So I try to post them as I come across them and answer questions as I can.

Good luck, hope you can still find one! I'm going to probably try the eBay deal, that's the next best one.

Now I am not sure if I am going to get the Surface.  Sounds cool but since the kids already have Tablets, one even has the locked in keyboard on his Asus I am going to see if they can get the Open Office app and if it works it will be the same thing according to what was posted above.  If not then I am hoping for the Ebay deal also.

what the heck is a hisense? never heard of it

the kindle would be your better option for the price

The Hisense is from Walmart.  It has good reviews and is a quad core.  The only thing that worries me is after reading some of the reviews of the Kindle is that it has advertisements on the screen and you can't download a youtube app on it (according to reviews).  One of the main things they will be doing is youtube.  I am also really worried that there is no mini card slot.  Here is the link.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-Sero-7-Pro-7-Tablet-Quad-Core-Processor-with-8GB-Memory-M470BSA/25427874

Edited by starbeck96

The Hisense is from Walmart.  It has good reviews and is a quad core.  The only thing that worries me is after reading some of the reviews of the Kindle is that it has advertisements on the screen and you can't download a youtube app on it (according to reviews).  One of the main things they will be doing is youtube.  I am also really worried that there is no mini card slot.  Here is the link.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-Sero-7-Pro-7-Tablet-Quad-Core-Processor-with-8GB-Memory-M470BSA/25427874

My son watches youtube all day long on his kindle. If it wasn't in the appstore , he just sideloaded it form getjar or android drawer.com. The advertisements only show in sleep mode and not when you are doing anything. 

I just ordered the kindle fire from Best Buy for $99 (thanks to GD for posting the sale). I was torn between it and the Nextbook that walmart has for $59. It's for a 6 yr old so it's not like he would need something to do homework with. Just something to watch netflix and play games on. DH said for me to just get the kindle b/c of all the good reviews and the fact that the Nextbook pretty much has 50/50 reviews on any website I went to to read on. Plus I'm sure my DS and DH will want to use it sometimes and I'm sure it will run a little faster than the Nextbook. I just hope I don't get "that" email saying my order had to be cancelled that I ve read other people say BB is famous for doing.

I just ordered the kindle fire from Best Buy for $99 (thanks to GD for posting the sale). I was torn between it and the Nextbook that walmart has for $59. It's for a 6 yr old so it's not like he would need something to do homework with. Just something to watch netflix and play games on. DH said for me to just get the kindle b/c of all the good reviews and the fact that the Nextbook pretty much has 50/50 reviews on any website I went to to read on. Plus I'm sure my DS and DH will want to use it sometimes and I'm sure it will run a little faster than the Nextbook. I just hope I don't get "that" email saying my order had to be cancelled that I ve read other people say BB is famous for doing.

that email usually only happens for the actual sale, not for any pre-sale stuff

• Like 1

My son watches youtube all day long on his kindle. If it wasn't in the appstore , he just sideloaded it form getjar or android drawer.com. The advertisements only show in sleep mode and not when you are doing anything. 

Sorry for this dumb question but my son pretty much only watches youtube videos (currently on my iphone).  Would he be able to do that with the Kindle model BB is selling for $99?  Thanks so much!

Sorry for this dumb question but my son pretty much only watches youtube videos (currently on my iphone).  Would he be able to do that with the Kindle model BB is selling for $99?  Thanks so much!

yes he can, my daughter watches youtube on the one we have

• Like 1

If you buy the tablet from best buy will you still have access to the streaming if you have a prime account?    Also, will the storage be enough you think?  They will not download a ton of apps or anything.  If anything, it would probably be 10-20 apps and then maybe some songs.

Edited by starbeck96

Yes, my son is 16 and his kindle is a first generation fire with only 4gb of space. He watches netflix when he goes to bed and he also converts any dvd's he has here at home into mpeg4 format and they don't take up a lot of space. He removes them when he is done with them and replces them with new ones. YOu can also. use your prime streaming. It doesn't matter where you buy it, it is still connected to your kindle account. 

I've been looking at the Hisense at Walmart, but you need to convert mkv files to watch them.  What tablet does anyone recommend that I can just transfer the mkv file without taking the time to convert?  I believe the Kindle Fire HD is the same.

Yes - Ebay is my next option too.  I have decided on a Surface for dh.  He wants something he can use for work and they use tons of excel files that he would need to reference.  I have an ipad and have had an Acer Iconia and frankly didn't like the apps out there.  I think he would be happier with the windows tablet and the price tag for the Surface on BF is nice.  If I miss those though I will probably suck it up and get him something with straight windows 8.1 like the ASUS or Lenovo.

I've been looking at the Hisense at Walmart, but you need to convert mkv files to watch them.  What tablet does anyone recommend that I can just transfer the mkv file without taking the time to convert?  I believe the Kindle Fire HD is the same.

Huh. Now you've got me curious to learn what tablets (if any) play .mkvs straight out of the box.

Yes - Ebay is my next option too.  I have decided on a Surface for dh.  He wants something he can use for work and they use tons of excel files that he would need to reference.  I have an ipad and have had an Acer Iconia and frankly didn't like the apps out there.  I think he would be happier with the windows tablet and the price tag for the Surface on BF is nice.  If I miss those though I will probably suck it up and get him something with straight windows 8.1 like the ASUS or Lenovo.

I can speak highly of the Lenovo. But it's got an Atom processor, so it's a tad bit slower than the Surface Pro.

The Surfaces that are on sale are last year's RTs. Those are lower powered than the full win 8 tablets. Heavy websites are pretty slow. But for plain Office stuff, it should work well.

remember, if you buy a non-RT, you will have to also purchase Office.

I can speak highly of the Lenovo. But it's got an Atom processor, so it's a tad bit slower than the Surface Pro.

The Surfaces that are on sale are last year's RTs. Those are lower powered than the full win 8 tablets. Heavy websites are pretty slow. But for plain Office stuff, it should work well.

remember, if you buy a non-RT, you will have to also purchase Office.

Thanks for that.  I will have to make sure it has office.