Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

I purchased the first nook and a couple more and they were fine for e-reading.  However, I bought the Samsung Galaxy tab 2 last year and got 3 more for DH, DS, Sister.  I have not picked up the Nook, since I got it.  I have Kindle and Nook app on it.  Mainly, using Kindle app, since I frequent amazon a lot.  My granddaughter, who is just turned 4, THINKS my sister's tablet is her's.  I skype with them all the time and she know how to use it.  Now, my sister watches her, while she uses it.  New one may have parental controls options on it.

• Like 1

I am new to the tablet world so please bare with me. My dd (13) is wanting something to read books on. She has a smart phone but isn't allowed to use it in class. She also can play games and take pics w/her phone so that isn't important. So basically looking for what I need to be looking at for her to read books. Really don't want to spend very much so not sure what I should be looking for. Thanks for any info.

I would stick with the kindle, they are the best ereader out there. Best buy is going to have last years Kindle Fire HD for 99. I am going to buy myself one even though I have a kindle ereader. I fyou want to just read books and nothing else, but a kindlel ereader and not a tablet. You can't read a book on your tablet in the sun, but you can on an ereader. THey have eink. I would get the Paperwhite kindle in that case. I just hope amazon matches the Best Buy price in some lightning deals. The new kindle fire hd is not an improvement on the old one. 

• Like 1

DaFees;

I would say, if that's your price range ($150 or so; $100 will not buy something satisfactory), there are some decent enough 7" tablets out there, particularly come Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

I would definitely go with the Kindlel Fire HD. My son loves his old fire. He watches Netflix, plays games, gets on the internet and has books on it along with his music. Nook is the worst customer service out there. You can't beat amazon's. I have had mine 3 years now and when I call with a problem they are great. Best buy will have one for 99 on black friday. I expect to see it in a lot of lightning deals, amaozn usually does that with older models. 

so is the only 8" KF at TRU?  The rest all seem to be 7", correct?

There is no 8 inch fire. THere is an 8.9if that is what you mean. Best option is always to buy from amazon.  I go on the amazon kindle forums every day and read and answer questions. If you buy from a store and have a problem, you have to go by that stores return policy. If you buy from amazon, you have until january 31 to return for refund if you aren't happy. If you have a problem they ship you a new one before you even send the old one back. I had one the next day. 

Looking for deals on the Surface 2 tablet and keyboard. Have not seen any ads that have the Surface 2/keyboard combo deals.

Any thoughts/suggestions or did you see an ad that I missed?

Thanks

Yeah, I didn't see much of anything as deals on Surfaces go. Maybe there'll be some Cyber Monday deals.

One point to consider: Unless you're planning to spend the beaucoup bucks for a Surface Pro model (which isn't just a tablet, but a full-on PC), I don't see much in the way of features to recommend the Surface over a decent Android tablet.

So I am looking to buy all three of my kiddos the Kindle Fire that BB has on sale BF which states it is the previous .  Do you know if you can still get cases for them and if so, will any 7" Kindle Fire case work? I know with Apple each time a new generation of something was released, they changed it to where you had to get a case for that generation.  Is it the same with the Kindle?

There is no 8 inch fire. THere is an 8.9if that is what you mean. Best option is always to buy from amazon.  I go on the amazon kindle forums every day and read and answer questions. If you buy from a store and have a problem, you have to go by that stores return policy. If you buy from amazon, you have until january 31 to return for refund if you aren't happy. If you have a problem they ship you a new one before you even send the old one back. I had one the next day. 

yes, I meant the 8.9".  I have the 7" and to get the 8.9" on Amazon will cost me $229 vs. $179 plus $20 g.c.   So that's quite a difference.  Of course there's a chance Amazon will lower their prices for BF as well (fingers crossed)

I am new to the tablet world so please bare with me. My dd (13) is wanting something to read books on. She has a smart phone but isn't allowed to use it in class. She also can play games and take pics w/her phone so that isn't important. So basically looking for what I need to be looking at for her to read books. Really don't want to spend very much so not sure what I should be looking for. Thanks for any info.

Sounds like a good candidate for something in the Kindle line.

If it is strictly for reading books, the paperwhite is very nice.  

• Like 1

yes, I meant the 8.9". I have the 7" and to get the 8.9" on Amazon will cost me $229 vs. $179 plus $20 g.c. So that's quite a difference. Of course there's a chance Amazon will lower their prices for BF as well (fingers crossed)
Office Max is gonna have the 8.9" Fire HD for $169. Just FYI.

p.s. Office Depot, too.

p.p.s. And Staples.

Edited by gbeenie

Looking for deals on the Surface 2 tablet and keyboard.  Have not seen any ads that have the Surface 2/keyboard combo deals.

Any thoughts/suggestions or did you see an ad that I missed?

Thanks

Last year the Microsoft Store had a deal on the Surfaces.  Buy the bundle, get a free keyboard I believe.  Which worked well for us, because we actually now have 2 RTs and a Pro.

That's probably the only place that may have a sale on those though.

BB has last year's RT in the ad, really good deal.  But the Pro definitely has advantages.

We bought our 2nd and 3rd Surfaces at Best Buy, and then earned RZ certificates, so that was kinda like a sale.

Yeah, I didn't see much of anything as deals on Surfaces go. Maybe there'll be some Cyber Monday deals.

One point to consider: Unless you're planning to spend the beaucoup bucks for a Surface Pro model (which isn't just a tablet, but a full-on PC), I don't see much in the way of features to recommend the Surface over a decent Android tablet.

Well, guess it just depends what you will use it for!  :)

We use our Windows tablets, even the RTs, way more than I ever used my Android tablet.  That one just didn't grab me.  It is even used more than the iPad was/is.

The non-pros come pre-installed with Office, which is pretty awesome, since it updates.

I love that my account syncs between the different devices I log into (which is 4-5 different Windows tablets...).

The keyboard covers are great, even though I don't really use the keyboard much.

I also have a Windows tablet with the Atom processor, and that does pretty much everything my computer does.  In fact, I now go 2-3 weeks without even getting on my actual computer!  The cost of those are between a Surface and Surface Pro.

To me, Windows 8 is much smoother and easier to use, but that's just me.

But everyone has their favorite platform/OS!  :)  I'm sure there's lots of people that will say the same things I said above about their Android/iPad!  

Office Max is gonna have the 8.9" Fire HD for $169. Just FYI.

Just saw that. I hope its online b/c apparently theres no OD within 100 miles. I had no idea, i just assumed we did. And not many Office Maxs either.........i swear we used to have tons of these stores around, they must have closed a bunch.

~excuse typos. sent from KF and tired of fixing errors from this damn keyboard

I am getting my daughter a tablet for Christmas.  She asked for one, but isn't very techy, and doesn't really know what she wants.  So I just sent her a list of questions, and I'll go from there.  It will be between Windows and Android, she's not really much into Apple. (And no, I'm not necessarily getting her Windows if it doesn't meet her needs!! :) )

I would love to get her a laptop replacement, like a Surface Pro or an Asus Transformer or even that HP in the BB ad.  But her house was broken into a few weeks ago, and my sweet MIL bought her a new laptop to replace the stolen one.  So that would be overkill/redundant at this point.

Here is my list of questions, if anyone else is interested, maybe it will help.  I had thought about making a chart, but I haven't got that industrious yet.

Why do you want a tablet?

What will you use it for?

Reading books?

Internet, FB?

Games?

Computer replacement?

Type papers?

Want Word/Office?

Do you want Android?
Or would it just be like a bigger phone, and you already have android stuff?
Would same platform be good, or do you want variety?
Or does it matter?

Do you want it tiny, to fit in your purse?

Or bigger, so things (websites) are bigger and easier to read?

Do you want a pen for taking notes?

Would you use it in class to take notes?

Keyboard to attach?
  • Like 1

Going back to my prior post, I think I have narrowed it down between the Kindle Fire for $99 at Best Buy and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" for $159.99 available everywhere. So does anyone have any opinions on either one that could narrow these two down to one? Again I'll reiterate that this tab would be for a 20 something looking to do the everyday stuff like web browsing, email, social networking, etc. 

I'm sort of leaning towards the Samsung tab only because it would be the easier of the two to score, plus if I get it at BJ's (which I can) they'll throw in a free case. Plus I know the Samsung tab supports microsd for expandable memory but I don't think the Kindle Fire does, so... that's a factor.

Tell me though what you all think.

I am having a dilemma. I have a new, unopened kindle HD 7 inch brand new 32 GB that was a special on QVC  and it was not really that cheap but I jumped on it because of 1-the AMOUNT of GB, never saw 32 before

2- it was HD and I just have the Kindle fire prev. gen. no HD there, and

3-don't have to worry about their return policy in case I saw something better.

I see that I can get a 16 GB, HD 8.9 IF I am lucky on BF, my eyes are getting worse and worse and I thought maybe I should go that route, so I have 2 questions

Will I regret going for the bigger screen, if I then have just 16GB, can anyone tell me if they have gotten close to filling up a 16 GB kindle and what all that would hold?

Do you really notice a big difference with the 8.9, having that extra 1.9 inch of screen??

While I'd love to save $ and enjoy a bigger screen, yet am afraid to sacrifice the GB.

also, does either/both Kindle HD 7 or 8.9 HD have camera??

Edited by allshoppedout

Going back to my prior post, I think I have narrowed it down between the Kindle Fire for $99 at Best Buy and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" for $159.99 available everywhere. So does anyone have any opinions on either one that could narrow these two down to one? Again I'll reiterate that this tab would be for a 20 something looking to do the everyday stuff like web browsing, email, social networking, etc. 

I'm sort of leaning towards the Samsung tab only because it would be the easier of the two to score, plus if I get it at BJ's (which I can) they'll throw in a free case. Plus I know the Samsung tab supports microsd for expandable memory but I don't think the Kindle Fire does, so... that's a factor.

No the Fire does not have expandable memory , so when your 16GB is full thats it. Also the Fire has one camera while the SG3 has two, The SG3 also has bluetooth (which is awesome if you use it) and the Fire does not. The SG3 also can be used as a smart remote. Both are great options depending on your needs. The specs are listed below if it helps any,:

Kindle Fire

7" 1280x800 HD display

With polarizing filter and anti-glare technology for rich color and deep contrast from any viewing angle.

16GB on-device storage

Provides space for storing books, magazines, TV shows, movies and music.

High-performance dual-core processor

With 1.2GHz processing speed and Imagination PowerVR 3D graphics for fast and fluid performance.

Dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi

Featuring Multiple In/Multiple Out (MIMO) technology for increased capacity and reliability, faster downloads and streaming, and fewer dropped connections.

X-Ray for Movies

Harness the power of IMDB to explore the characters in thousands of movies.

Kindle FreeTime

Free personalized tablet experience just for kids. Set daily screen limits, and give access to appropriate content for each child.

Front-facing video camera

For free high-definition video calls at home or abroad.

Access to popular entertainment

Over 22 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, books, audiobooks, and tens of thousands of popular apps and games such as Facebook, Netflix, Twitter, HBO GO, Pandora and Angry Birds Space.

Integrated support

For Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo! and more, as well as Exchange calendar, contacts and e-mail.

Free unlimited cloud storage

For all your Amazon content.

Special Offers and Sponsored Screensavers

Offers are displayed on the lock screen and lower left-hand corner of the home screen without interrupting use of device.

Samsung Galaxy S3

7" WSVGA TFT (PLS) touch screen with 1024 x 600 resolution

Offers simple navigation and showcases movies, games and other media in striking clarity.

Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean operating system

Along with a Samsung 1.2GHz dual-core processor allows you to stay connected and productive on the go.

1GB memory

For multitasking power.Built-in 802.11a/b/g/n wireless LAN with Wi-Fi DirectConnect to the Internet without wires.

8GB on-board flash memory

Offers plenty of space for storing files.

Bluetooth 3.0

Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.

3.0MP rear-facing and 1.3MP front-facing cameras

Allow you to capture high-quality images.

MicroSD card slot

Lets you to access data stored on compatible cards up to 64GB (not included).

Weighs only 10.7 oz. and measures just 0.4" thin

For lightweight portability.

Preloaded apps

Include Google Play, YouTube, Dropbox, ChatOn, Chrome, Flipboard, Google+, Group Play, Music Hub, Paper Artist, Polaris Office, S Planner, S Voice, Samsung Apps, Smart Remote (Peel), Trip Advisor and more.

Edited by deelite

So I am looking to buy all three of my kiddos the Kindle Fire that BB has on sale BF which states it is the previous .  Do you know if you can still get cases for them and if so, will any 7" Kindle Fire case work? I know with Apple each time a new generation of something was released, they changed it to where you had to get a case for that generation.  Is it the same with the Kindle?

Each kindle has it's own case. YOu must find the one that says Kindle Fire HD previous generation, or you can look at hte size and see if they are the same. I have a kindle keyboard and my sons original kindle fire fits in it although it is loose. 

I am having a dilemma. I have a new, unopened kindle HD 7 inch brand new 32 GB that was a special on QVC  and it was not really that cheap but I jumped on it because of 1-the AMOUNT of GB, never saw 32 before

2- it was HD and I just have the Kindle fire prev. gen. no HD there, and

3-don't have to worry about their return policy in case I saw something better.

I see that I can get a 16 GB, HD 8.9 IF I am lucky on BF, my eyes are getting worse and worse and I thought maybe I should go that route, so I have 2 questions

Will I regret going for the bigger screen, if I then have just 16GB, can anyone tell me if they have gotten close to filling up a 16 GB kindle and what all that would hold?

Do you really notice a big difference with the 8.9, having that extra 1.9 inch of screen??

While I'd love to save $ and enjoy a bigger screen, yet am afraid to sacrifice the GB.

also, does either/both Kindle HD 7 or 8.9 HD have camera??

The old HD has a camera , the new one does not. My son hs the original kindle fire with 8gb, memory and he has not filled it up. He puts movies on it even. 

Samsung Tab is awesome.  No the Kindle does not have an sd slot so you cannot get extra memory.  Highly recommend Samsung

Samsung Tab is awesome.  No the Kindle does not have an sd slot so you cannot get extra memory.  Highly recommend Samsung

Thank you and to everyone else who replied. I really do think now that the Samsung Tab is the way to go. Another thing I thought of was the fact that you can actually use the Chrome browser on the Samsung Tab and I LOVE Chrome. I have Chrome on my two PCs, my iPad and my iPod. No matter what device I am on I have instant access to all tabs open on all devices. Plus I love the shared history between all devices. I think it makes for a really seamless experience.

I got an email from amazon today saying if I ordered s kindle fire hd, I'll get a $15 amazon GC. I think it's just a deal for today. Does anyone know if they will offer something better in the future. I would love to try to get it for $99 on BF, but I don't think it will be possible since I would have to do it online.

Jen08 be aware that doesnt apply to last years version (the one best buy has IS last years version which imo is the better model) this years doesnt have the camera or the hdmi port. You can order it on amazon by typing in kindle hd previous and it will come up for $109 but thats from from Amazons warehouse so the giftcard doesnt apply. Even if you want the new one I'd wait I cant imagine that amazon wont put the HD on lightening deal to match Best Buy. Im just unsure whether it will be the same version on lightening deal as Best Buy. Thats why If they dont do anything on lightening deal for last years version and I lose out on the BB one then I'm going for the $109 one I just told you about.

Edited by Tigger97498
  • Like 1

I got an email from amazon today saying if I ordered s kindle fire hd, I'll get a $15 amazon GC. I think it's just a deal for today. Does anyone know if they will offer something better in the future. I would love to try to get it for $99 on BF, but I don't think it will be possible since I would have to do it online.

Amazon will most probably have the old HD for 99 to match Best buys's. probably in lightning deals. That's what they hve done in the past. That's what I'm waiting for. I bought my daughters last year on a lightning deal. If you subscribe to amazon's facebook page, they will send notice of any sale. I got 25.00 off one last year due to that.  

Edited by peppysfireball
  • Like 1

Just FYI, I know the TV shopping networks tend to be more $ but they are saying for TODAY only as a HOTPICK on QVC, they are offering a new HD kindle 7 inc with 16GB and said on-air that it DOES have HDMI port  199.00 only today. It comes with a pink or purple case.

The presentations I saw said that it was NEW, so I am guessing it is the New 7 inch HD , although people say the new one does NOT have HDMI, so either QVC is wrong or they are offering a special model. Any smart person here, no what is actually accurate, Brad? Bueller?? anyone?

specs:

What's in the box? Kindle Fire HD tablet, USB 2.0 cable, Kindle leather case, Kindle Powerfast charger, quick-start guide, a $50 Printer Pix offer, and two-year Premier Tech support plan (information for Tech Support ships separately).

Wireless capability may require a network connection, additional accessories, and/or a service connection fee.

Access to and use of the Internet may require payment of a separate fee to an Internet Service Provider.

Use of Bluetooth technology may require Bluetooth software and compatible accessories.

• Includes 16GB Kindle Fire HD tablet, USB 2.0 cable, Kindle leather case, Kindle Powerfast charger, quick-start guide, $50 Printer Pix offer, and two-year Premier Tech support plan (information for Tech Support ships separately)
  • 1.2GHz dual-core processor
  • 16GB internal storage, 12.6GB available for user
  • 7" diagonal 10-point capacitive touch, anti-glare HD color display with 1280x800 resolution, IPS technology, advanced polarizing filter
  • Dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi; supports 802.11a/b/g/n
  • Bluetooth wireless
  • Front-facing camera
  • Imagination PowerVR 3D graphics
  • Supports Kindle AZW, KF8, TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, AAX, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, AC3, EAC3, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, PCM/WAVE, OGG, WAV, MP4, AAC LC/LTP, HE-AACv1/v2, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, HTML5, CSS3, 3GP, VP8 files
  • Dual-driver speakers with Dolby audio
  • Free Cloud storage for Amazon content
  • USB 2.0, micro HDMI ports
  • 3.5mm stereo jack
  • Measures approx. 7-1/2"L x 5-1/2"W x 1/2"D; weighs 13.9 oz
  • UL listed; 1-year LMW
  • Imported