Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

I bought a 1st gen Nabi a year and a half ago. What you're getting with a Nabi is a tablet that you can give to just about any child and not worry about them screwing it up by accident or installing a bunch of apps without your permission. You get an interface that only allows the child to use the apps you specify for them and doesn't let them get into the settings to make unapproved edits. It does this very well. I've found the sideloading very easy.

The Nabi does have a known issue with the charge port but you can charge it with the usb port just like any other usb charged phone or tablet so that's really not an issue. Pretty much every family I know has a stack of usb chargers sitting around already from all the phones and tablets and such they've bought over the last 4 years anyway.

I've not had any issue with using an SD card. I think it is limited to 32GB but I think that's pretty standard for most tablets out there right now. I have ripped a dozen or so movies from DVD's for my son to use in the van while traveling. Its nice to not have to worry about him scratching DVD's.

And the mommy/daddy mode on the Nabi turns it into a regular fully functioning Android tablet if you want to borrow it for a bit.

I find it interesting that people complain about there not being enough free stuff for the Nabi when there's even less free stuff for other non-Nabi tablets. *shrug* The Nabi does come with a couple dozen free little apps and it can access all the same free stuff that all other Android tablets can access, providing it runs on Android 4.0 (which is what the Nabi 2 runs on). The Nabi Jr. and Nabi XD are both on Android 4.1.

If you're buying a tablet for a kid and you want easy to use parental controls, a Nabi is an excellent choice.

If you're looking for the best bang for your buck for a slightly older kid or for yourself in the 7 inch tablet arena, then the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" is probably going to be your best bet. It has received excellent support from Samsung regarding Android updates and has some great specs. I bought two last year from Walmart refurb'd for $140 ea. for my older two kids. They have put COUNTLESS hours on those things and we haven't had so much as a single hiccup.

It does bring free software, but when most of it is for games/other content that my kid doesn't want then I can't really do much with it.

As for the charging, yes I tried charging it on my laptop and it didn't work. Maybe I have a defective unit, between that and the SD card issues.

Yes, a closed system is great for a little one, but when I have to side load an app store to get something as simple as Angry Birds Star Wars.....We have a Note 2 7"as well, plus many other Android devices, and there's usually a lag between something available on Google Play getting on Amazon's app store. Lags are not good when the 4 y.o. sees his sister playing a game he wants.

Anyway, I hear that they're now doing Disney & Nick versions so maybe the content will improve.

It would be interesting to see about that "kids Samsung note" that was mentioned earlier :)

If any of you guys do buy a Nexus, Galaxy Tab or IPad, I would highly recommend a Gumdrop case. I've have one on my IPad2 which has survived a few drops by me and my nephews. They have a hard screen protector and a rubberized shell on the outside, and no I don't work for them. LOL I'm in the market for trading my wife's IPad1 for either a Kindle or Galaxy Tab or even another IPad and noticed that Gumdrop now makes cases for pretty much all tablets now. So, I thought I'd share the info in this thread since a lot of you are talking about buying for kids. My buddy has 2 IPads for his kids and the IPads have survived between them watching them and the Gumdrop case. 

Yeah, we're looking at tablets for me (and possibly my partner, although she really needs to replace her desktop first) on BF this year. I talked to our roommate Sean (The Cellphone Whisperer) about it, and he seems pretty inclined toward Samsung Galaxy, ASUS, or maybe Lenovo. Thing is, if you're looking for a 7-inch, there are tons of good deals pretty much all the time; however, when you want a 10-inch tablet (as I do), the sale prices tend to be a tad sparser. 

Of the limited BF ads out there now, it looks like GameStop is gonna have a decent deal on a Galaxy (about $60 cheaper than Amazon's current price).

I am also looking at tablets.  Thinking of one for my 8 year old and one for my 23 year old.  

Oldest already has a Macbook and would use the tablet only for on the go, games, and E reading.  Probably Netflix too.  I am thinking the new Kindle fire may be good for her.  I definitely want Android for the large availability of free books on the Google store (she is a grad student so money is tight).

For 8 year old I would like something either that has a large memory so that movies can be stored on it or with the ability to add memory via SD cards.  

For both I was just looking at the Acer Iconia 8" with 16GB memory on HSN.com.  It is currently at $179 and seems like a good price but I am wondering if perhaps I would be better off with something else?  I would love any suggestions. 

IDK I bought 2 Nook HD+'s for $149 when they were on sale for my DS 9yo and DS 11yo.  I got 2 16 mb micro sd cards on clearance at Target, and forgive me, as I have no idea about what these things are supposed to do, but they seem to do what they need and they can read books on them for school as well. A few apps won't work because of the operating system but not very many.

Ok so i bought my son a Fire HD for Christmas and i really dont see the bells and whistes with it.Its just a movie player to me.Doesnt even have a camera.So im thinking of getting bth kids tablets this year.So exactly what is the diff in say a ipad and a galaxy ?The apple apps?Why do ppl spend $400 on a ipad when you can get a galaxy for under $200?

Ok so i bought my son a Fire HD for Christmas and i really dont see the bells and whistes with it.Its just a movie player to me.Doesnt even have a camera.So im thinking of getting bth kids tablets this year.So exactly what is the diff in say a ipad and a galaxy ?The apple apps?Why do ppl spend $400 on a ipad when you can get a galaxy for under $200?

Although I'm in the market for an Android tablet, I can tell you, based on my experience owning an iPhone, why at least SOME people opt or the iPad. If your primary concern is the thing just working, then iOS products are generally a good idea; my iPhone, in the eleven months I've owned it, has not given given me a tenth of the trouble I had with my previous Android phone.

Now, for me personally, such security is not as important for a tablet; and key features the iPad lacks are an issue: no expandable memory, and no video out without a lot of finagling. That said, if someone GAVE me an iPad, I sure as hell wouldn't kick it out of bed; it'll read comics and play games every bit as well as an Android. What I wouldn't do is pay extra to have one. Of course, YMMV.

As for e-Readers, just remember: They're cheaper because they do less. Which reminds me of a line from last weeks' Weekend Update on SNL: "Meanwhile Barnes & Noble unveiled a new Nook that automatically throws itself in the garbage.”    :lmao:

p.s. As far as the Kindle Fire you purchased goes, don't be so quick to write it off; if you look around at Amazon, there are actually quite a few apps for it these days.

Edited by gbeenie

It does bring free software, but when most of it is for games/other content that my kid doesn't want then I can't really do much with it.

As for the charging, yes I tried charging it on my laptop and it didn't work. Maybe I have a defective unit, between that and the SD card issues.

Yes, a closed system is great for a little one, but when I have to side load an app store to get something as simple as Angry Birds Star Wars.....We have a Note 2 7"as well, plus many other Android devices, and there's usually a lag between something available on Google Play getting on Amazon's app store. Lags are not good when the 4 y.o. sees his sister playing a game he wants.

Anyway, I hear that they're now doing Disney & Nick versions so maybe the content will improve.

It would be interesting to see about that "kids Samsung note" that was mentioned earlier :)

You don't have a defective unit, I have 3 of them for my kids and the usb charging on computer doesn't work.  You have to plug into an outlet. 

I'm thinking of getting the Spring Galaxy Tab 3.  Right now it's $49 with a 2 year contract.  Data plans start at just $5 per month with minumum data, but I'd mostly be using my home wifi.  I know it's about the same as what I could outright buy the tablet for, so I'm thinking of it as a free layaway - only I get the tablet now.

With the introduction of the iPad Air and the new iPad mini yesterday, I'm hoping the prices (new and refurb) of the iPad 2 and 3 go down.  My son has an iPad in his classroom (each student does) and I want to get him one to mimic the one he has at school so he can work on things at home.  I've been watching sales now trying to find a good deal, and while I've seen some prices that have been "impressive," I'm hesitant to bite the bullet because I'm hoping for better deals now that the new versions will be around in November.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of getting the Spring Galaxy Tab 3.  Right now it's $49 with a 2 year contract.  Data plans start at just $5 per month with minumum data, but I'd mostly be using my home wifi.  I know it's about the same as what I could outright buy the tablet for, so I'm thinking of it as a free layaway - only I get the tablet now.

Just note it's only 25mb of data a month on that $5/month plan, so while overall you'll come out ahead, you need to be careful. Some say the resolution isn't that great on the Galaxy 3.  I'd just turn off mobile data to make sure you don't go over.

Also, check your monthly taxes and fees for that plan, which could almost double the $5/month fee, and you wouldn't come out ahead.

That is just a generic (no name) brand tablet.  You can find these for much cheaper than $110.  I bought my daughter one of these for about $70.  I expect you to get one under $50 on Black Friday.  It should take a memory card.  If they mention "transflash" or "TF" card, that is the same as an SD memory card (or micro SD).  My daughter's did, but it was only good for storing photos, not the apps.

4 GB memory is VERY small.  I would suggest getting at least 8GB and preferably 16GB.  They cost more, but if you load more than 5-6 games, all 4GB are going to be filled up.

The charging port also broke after about 4 months.  There is no warranty.  IF we can get it to charge, it works fine still. 

The specs on the page don't say, which is almost never a good sign. With the dinky amount of built-in memory it has, that's a major issue. And even for a 7" tablet, that resolution is pretty bleh. And the lack of ANY brand or model info in the specs means you can't even do more research about it. 

With the introduction of the iPad Air and the new iPad mini yesterday, I'm hoping the prices (new and refurb) of the iPad 2 and 3 go down.  My son has an iPad in his classroom (each student does) and I want to get him one to mimic the one he has at school so he can work on things at home.  I've been watching sales now trying to find a good deal, and while I've seen some prices that have been "impressive," I'm hesitant to bite the bullet because I'm hoping for better deals now that the new versions will be around in November.

According to our roommate Sean (The Cellphone Whisperer), the new iPad models mean the previous ones are gonna go down in price a whopping $20. If you're holding out for an iPad, I'd suggest waiting till BF or Cyber Monday, and look for the best bundle, as that's gonna be how retailers distinguish themselves.

• Like 1

I think there will be another deal like last year at Best Buy where they had the Ipad2 for $339 with a gift card I think. I hope they'll run a deal on the mini, I'm thinking about getting one for my wife. Another place to check which I'm sure others have mentioned is the Apple Store in the refurbed section, they come with the same warranty as a new one which is another option I'm looking at.

• Like 1

The more I read the more confused I get. I just can't decide which tablet to get my dd22. She doesn't have a tablet now, and hasn't asked for one, but I think she would really like it. She reads a lot of fan fiction (is that what it's called?) on line on her phone. I think she would like the bigger screen.  I've read all the threads in the technology forum, and all the posts here in this thread. I guess what I want is someone to say "BUY HER Xtablet" and take the decision out of my hands :).   SO, having bored you with the backstory, I'm comparing the Nexus to the Galaxy to the Kindle Fire (with a side eye on the ipad mini but only if I found one REALLY cheap).  Other than the SD card on the Galaxy, is there ANYTHING you can do on one of these tablets you can't do on the other 2?  They all 3 get good reviews and it seems to me that they all do the same thing. So it'll just come down to the best deal, right? 

The Nexus will get the best Android support as Google does both which means when Android updates come out, they'll be available for the Nexus from day one where you may have to wait a month or two (or three) for the Galaxy to get it, if it ever does.

The Galaxy has the extended memory and has been getting pretty darn good support so far.

Unfortunately, I don't have any hands on with the Fire to really have an opinion.

If it were me, and it kinda was this time last year, I would (and did) choose the Galaxy Tab 2 7.  The memory bit was a deal breaker for me.

I have been very happy with it thus far.

Just my opinion though.

My daughter that is 20 wants a tablet with a keyboard. Anyone got any suggestions or know of an awesome deal?

Luckily, Bluetooth keyboards come in all types of quality and price, so you've got your pick. That leaves you free to focus on the tablet. For a twenty-year-old, I'd get one as versatile as possible.

iPad2 hasn't changed.... and neither has the price.  The iPad Air is replacing the previous generation which is no longer in production.  iPad Mini now includes the retina display and improved camera.

According to our roommate Sean (The Cellphone Whisperer), the new iPad models mean the previous ones are gonna go down in price a whopping $20. If you're holding out for an iPad, I'd suggest waiting till BF or Cyber Monday, and look for the best bundle, as that's gonna be how retailers distinguish themselves.

Target was advertising the outgoing 16GB iPad for $50 off its original price here in AZ a week ago.  Apple more than likely has ceased production on it so you may see some retailers offering deals to get rid of remaining stock.  But Apple isn't known for allowing its retailers to continue selling older models once the new ones are released.

Tablets are great toys.  You can enjoy entertainment from movies and music to games to books.  None of them have enough memory and memory cards are no more fun to use than floppies were.  Get as much memory as you can afford and leverage cloud services (Amazon, Netflix, iTunes) for video files (games, books, music are not big at all).  I kind of love the Kingston wi-drive wireless storage solution.  These include memory, a battery, and server software.  You can access one from three devices concurrently and they support iToys, Android, and Kindle Fires.

http://www.kingston.com/us/support/technical/products?model=WID

I would say that Amazon and Google offer a lot more free and inexpensive software than Apple, but that Apple still has an edge in must have apps (for some).  The Windows 8 app store is not bad either.  As with any computer purchase, start with a list of the stuff you want to do, find all apps that do what you want to do satisfactorily, and buy the hardware that will run that software satisfactorily.

I like the Amazon ecosystem.  They offer free apps and you can 'buy' them without actually installing.  I check in every morning and have accumulated nearly 3,000 books, videos, apps, games, and magazines.

http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b/ref=sa_menu_adr_app4?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011

I have only paid for a small percentage and will never use most, but it's pretty cool to see something, think it might be interesting, and have it available forever for free.  I remember waking up to a PBS show on the War of 1812, thinking I did not know much about that, visiting amazon, searching for War of 1812, sorting by price, and grabbing a couple highly rated freebies -- which I have not yet read ;-)  This morning, I was asked to do some stuff with MySQL.  I had already 'purchased' a couple very useful ebooks.  I have disabled purchases on my Fires.  All purchases require a visit to the web page.  This is good if you have curious kids.  Of course, you can still buy something on the device via the web browser.

They are very good at browsing the internet and not bad for shopping.  If this is your primary use, you can take a chance on any tablet -- including the unbranded tabs washing in from China.  

Tablets are not as good for work.  If you are going to write a term paper, make sure you get one with a very good keyboard.  The best keyboard/tab combo is the Surface.  It's unobtrusive and easy to install/uninstall (magnets) and the clickable one is actually pleasant to type on.  If you are going to work on a tab, address that first.  Again, start with the software,  If you are going to run Microsoft Access, you need a Surface Pro.

If you have a Chromecast and are hoping to control it with a tab, you probably ought to get a Nexus, though I think you might consider dedicating a generic android tab with a current build.  

As for kids, I would recommend checking in with the local schools.  You might as well get them started with something that will give them a leg up going forward.  You may find that you can purchase discounted hardware/software or even have access to some for free.  Absent that, I would go the same route as I would with an adult -- choose functions, select software, purchase compatible hardware.

My sister has a brood of spoiled kids who have iPads, android tabs, Fires, laptops iPods, and iPhones.  Most of the time, the kids are looking at youtube on the iPods.

On price, Amazon and Google are racing to the bottom.  Apple and Microsoft are not competing.  Some of the retailers are competing -- gift card bundles and trade in offers plus rewards.  If you have a Discover card, check for quarterly and retailer specific promotions (mostly cash back).  This quarter, for instance, Discover is giving 5% back on online purchases which stacks with shopdiscover.  Staples also gives 5% back in rewards, so you may be able to get a 15% (or more) discount.  If you have cash back accumulated, buy discounted gift cards.  You can buy a staples $25 gift card from shopdiscover for $20 -- that is a 20% discount off your best deal.  They are like cash, so you still get 5% in rewards.  When is the last time you saw an ipad discounted 25%?  Some deal sites do cash back as well.

Finally, if someone wants an iPad or a Nexus, do not get them something else.  While they should appreciate the thought, they will not be happy.  iFolks want iStuff -- that is the way it is.  Back during that 2011 travel spree, I say across the aisle from a college age kid.  When he sat down, he pulled ear buds out of his ears and put them in a crushed velvet pouch.  He turned off his iPhone and stored that.  He pulled out an iPad then a large case that housed Bose headphones.  He plugged those in and put them on his head then played missile command for two hours.  He was very happy to be playing a 1980 game on his 2011 tablet listening to 1980 sound effects on Bose headphones.  

Happy shopping!

• Like 2

Dangit. I'm REALLY considering pulling the trigger on this:

http://1sale.com/electronics/computers-tablets/asus-101-32gb-tablet/?ET_CID=1279&ET_RID=36552&ET_UID=%201001076389&utm_source=et&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=m20131025

ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity 10.1" Super IPS Multi-Touch Display 32GB w/ Android 4.0 & Tegra 3 Quad-Core CPU!

I've had fantastic luck with ASUS refurbs (for example, the desktop I'm writing this on right now), and the reviews on Amazon are pretty darn strong. The resolution is also a cut above for this price range. My only issue is: What if I buy this, and there's a better price on Black Friday? Could anyone with experience shopping for tablets on BF offer some insight?

EDIT: Welp, for better or worse, I pulled the trigger. Now to hunt for accessories.
Edited by gbeenie

My daughter age 10 has a kindle fire hd.....now she wants an ipad.....is it worth getting for her,,,,I am not a tech person...what will she be able to do with ipad that she cannt with kindle?  I hate to spend the money if she cannt do more on it...or should I get her that windows one I see ads for on tv.   Thanks for advice

Edited by red_72_1999

My daughter age 10 has a kindle fire hd.....now she wants an ipad.....is it worth getting for her,,,,I am not a tech person...what will she be able to do with ipad that she cannt with kindle?  I hate to spend the money if she cannt do more on it...or should I get her that windows one I see ads for on tv.   Thanks for advice

At age 10? Can she tell you specifically what she wants an iPad for that the Fire can't do (and an iPad definitely does have greater capabilities; I'm just not sure how useful they are to a ten-year-old)? I mean, the Fire can play games, do moderate web surfing, watch videos, and, of course, it's excellent for reading. I don't know your daughter, obviously, but I have a sneaking suspicion she's suffering from a case of the "gotta have its."

Edited by gbeenie

iPad2 hasn't changed.... and neither has the price.  The iPad Air is replacing the previous generation which is no longer in production.  iPad Mini now includes the retina display and improved camera.

Target was advertising the outgoing 16GB iPad for $50 off its original price here in AZ a week ago.  Apple more than likely has ceased production on it so you may see some retailers offering deals to get rid of remaining stock.  But Apple isn't known for allowing its retailers to continue selling older models once the new ones are released.

Yeah. If you can find 'em before they get pulled, the non-retina display models are probably gonna be available for some half-decent discounts.

Talk to her about it.  See my post above.  If her friends or school are using iPads, she may feel alienated.  Is this a good time for her to upgrade?  Can you re-purpose the Kindle?  Take her to the Apple store and see if she loves the iPad as much as she thinks.

On a tangential note: I was shopping around for MicroSD cards (I suspect my kitten has "disappeared" my 32Gb card) online, as well as perusing last year's BF ads. What I found was that MicroCenter has, both in-store and online, 32Gb MicroSD cards (not generics, either) for $15.99 (to put it in perspective, that's how much my first 1Gb thumb drive cost in 2007); that's better than any BF specials from last year. Now, MAYBE there'll be lower prices on Black Friday, but if so, it won't be by much; I wouldn't strain myself too much trying to hunt down those deals.