How early will stores open this year

vchristianman

2 yrs ago I tried the all night shopping binge and found that BF lost it's appeal.  I was too tired to have fun like I used to.  So last year, I did go to Walmart about 8:30pm, which didn't cut into our dinner time because we arrive about 1pm anyway and always left my mom's by 7pm-ish.

Then I went home, got a few good hours sleep and made my way to the other stores about 4am.  It was great.  There were no crowds and most of the sales were still going on.  I got almost everything I had been hoping for.  When I say no crowds, I mean there were stores like Sears and Macy's, that I didn't see another soul aside from workers.

I will be sticking with this plan again I believe.

• Like 5

And here is another example from south Florida, our "mega-mall", Sawgrass Mills will be open from 8pm on Thanksgiving through 10pm on Friday.  This mall has 300 plus stores that will be open for 26 hours.  Looks like this is going to be more the normal than the exception as this season starts winding up.

Sun-Sentinel link

And here is another example from south Florida, our "mega-mall", Sawgrass Mills will be open from 8pm on Thanksgiving through 10pm on Friday.  This mall has 300 plus stores that will be open for 26 hours.  Looks like this is going to be more the normal than the exception as this season starts winding up.

Sun-Sentinel link

Interesting..I'd hate to imagine what the drive there would be like but it's nice to get local news.

• Like 1

KMart has been open Thanksgiving Day for years. They will do the same as last year with different doorbusters for different times...

Walmart will probably start at 8PM, I would expect Target, Kohl's, Toys R Us, and a few others to open at 8pm. I expect Best Buy will try to remain midnight as they did last year, however if too many open early I would not be too shocked to see them open at 10PM Thursday. The smaller stores will have their 5am - 7am opening times as in years past.

I think that Best Buy will continue to employ the 12:01 tactic to technically say that they still open on Black Friday. It also keeps them out of the media in a negative way. We are now a couple of years into the time adjustment, so people are gradually coming to accept this and either stay home, or go out anyway :wife::gdcensored: . It does give people who never had a chance a fresh perspective on the deals though!

I liked JCP sales last year and it was the first year I shopped there specifically because they were one of the few companies opening on Black Friday....What I just dont get about these early openings is the numbers come out each year...are any of them actually doing better because of them? 

When I worked kb toys it was insane from 5 am opening until about 2pm after that it was only stragglers.....nowadays from what Ive seen and heard is that it is crazy from opening and after a few hours and then there are stragglers..so its the same amount of shoppers, just an earlier time. Am I wrong about this? Just interested in others input.....

• Like 3

I liked JCP sales last year and it was the first year I shopped there specifically because they were one of the few companies opening on Black Friday....What I just dont get about these early openings is the numbers come out each year...are any of them actually doing better because of them? 

When I worked kb toys it was insane from 5 am opening until about 2pm after that it was only stragglers.....nowadays from what Ive seen and heard is that it is crazy from opening and after a few hours and then there are stragglers..so its the same amount of shoppers, just an earlier time. Am I wrong about this? Just interested in others input.....

Last year we went to walmart around 11 pm got most of what we were looking for and then back back around 6 am the next morning ... it was like a ghost town. Hardly any shoppers and a ton of employees just standing around. They said it had died off around 2 am and after that there would be small spurts of shoppers.  

Edited by berry1014
  • Like 1

Dont count on it :)  

I think that Best Buy will continue to employ the 12:01 tactic to technically say that they still open on Black Friday. It also keeps them out of the media in a negative way. We are now a couple of years into the time adjustment, so people are gradually coming to accept this and either stay home, or go out anyway :wife::gdcensored: . It does give people who never had a chance a fresh perspective on the deals though!

• Like 1

Considering a lot of people will be cutting back due to uncertainty on the economy ( gov shutdown and debt ceiling drama in Jan AGAIN), I expect the stores will open earlier if they are allowed by their municipality and their employees don't riot. Sales were already anticipated to be down, so they will be grabbing for every dollar they can.

When I lived in South Florida, the closest mall was packed with kids from early evening on until morning and the stand alone stores had ridiculously long lines from the time dinner ended on.  Here in the South west, BF is enjoyable again LOL I do not have to leave my house at 4pm to get on line.  I always get parking at Walmart and the lines are nothing compared to Florida NOTHING.  

When I lived in South Florida, the closest mall was packed with kids from early evening on until morning and the stand alone stores had ridiculously long lines from the time dinner ended on.  Here in the South west, BF is enjoyable again LOL I do not have to leave my house at 4pm to get on line.  I always get parking at Walmart and the lines are nothing compared to Florida NOTHING.  

We seem to get them all: the bargain hunters, the tweens out "just because", ALL the college kids (in and out of town-ers), etc. It's a mess for sure but I wouldn't swap the weather for anything else. 

Well, with Walmart, Kohls, Macy's, all starting at 8PM Thanksgiving night, I guess we need to just chance the name to Black Thursday.

Walmart has not said what time they are starting, I think it will be earlier than 8pm since that is what time they did last year

The mall I work at will be opening at 8pm on Thanksgiving night (until 10pm Friday night!), but our District Manager said that if our store doesn't have to be open, then we will NOT open on Thanksgiving. She told the manager to find out what time we HAD to open, and that's the time we'll open. Looks like the outlets just south of us will be opening from 9pm Thanksgiving night until 9pm the next night.

usually the mall says what times you have to be open, if the mall says 8pm then you must be open by then

Our mall always has some stores open and some closed.  I know we are always waiting for some of the stores to open after we visit the early openers.

We were just informed that the maximum allowable campout at Best Buy is 5 days. This is an interesting turn of events, but not unheard of. Permission to camp during entire the week of Black Friday has always been ok, but the 8 to 10 days that we have seen in the last two years was a bit of a stretch even for us. This seems to be a re-affirmation of that stance. They want the coverage, but not the liability.

We were just informed that the maximum allowable campout at Best Buy is 5 days. This is an interesting turn of events, but not unheard of. Permission to camp during entire the week of Black Friday has always been ok, but the 8 to 10 days that we have seen in the last two years was a bit of a stretch even for us. This seems to be a re-affirmation of that stance. They want the coverage, but not the liability.

hmmm...so you're calculating the earliest possible time allowed and rushing to be there for then?:P