I'm so disappointed in people

Guest all2tired

Yesterday, I sold 3 members of Gottadeal the dolls they were unable to get for their daughters. I sold them for what I paid. I wasn't looking to make anything from it. I had extras and instead of returning them to the store, I sold them to others that wanted them. Anyway, I just went to ebay and these ebayers are selling those dolls starting at $15 and buy it nows for $39. I'm sorry but I know that people want to make money but I find it a disgrace.

I'm sure that most of these people selling on ebay got the dolls on BF for $10 like I did and to sell it to a desperate parent for $39 buy it now is just disgusting. I know that nobody is forcing anybody to buy the stuff and the ebayers can do whatever they want with their stuff but to take advantage of others especially during the holiday season just disgusts me.:gd_soapbo

It's nice of you to sell it at the same price.

However, they are not taking advantage of people. Selling on ebay carries risk. If the item had a rebate, then it would be technically illegal as the rebate form ussually prohibits resellers. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with reselling the item.

Just for thought: If people were too lazy get up at 4am and to stand in long lines, why should they get the doll at the same price as the people who did?

I don't think rebate forms prohibit reselling it... you own the piece of

hardware after you buy it. You just send them the receipt, bar code, etc...

you could sell it, smash it, paint it pink, turn it into a potted plant, etc....

they don't know and legally couldn't do anything about it anyway. Buying it

qualifies you for the rebate, not buying it and keeping it.

Anyway, I didn't wait in line and flip items on Ebay, but if someone's willing to

wait it out and that's their intention, I have no problem with that... it's legal

and well within their right. Wish I would have remembered the 360 was

coming out, I would have made sure to get one or two myself.

Maybe you can look at it this way...

Some people are unable to get to a store to buy the items. Maybe they are disabled, sick, or out in the middle of nowhere.

Even though they pay a higher price they are thankful to be able to have EBAY as a resource.

Some people do have money and don't care what it costs. They prefer to have others "shop" for them.

I hope that can make you see things a little differently.

I disagree with you 100%!

SOME (not all) are not thankful for Ebay as a resource, its a last resort so they are stuck with paying the higher price set on ebay! :g_thumbsd

As for those that want other to "shop" for them...I dont think so! That is a load of bunk! God, you must be an EBAY seller. I buy stuff on EBAY but at close retail price. Ebay is supposed to be for deals sometimes and other times you are getting jacked because hoarder wanted all the merchandise to jack up the price to allow "disabled" or "sick" people to shop for them...Right.....:grandpa::eek:

I agree, it's nuts. I can't even go on there and look because I just wanted one.. but not for 2+ times the price. I am not stupid!

I would have gotten an extra if I knew a fellow GDer wanted one. DD got the two that were on my list for me while I waited for that darn laptop.lol

The people who stand in line for hours just to buy tons of hot sellers to throw on Ebay are actually quite stupid. They are wasting their time and still paying too much. Now that everyone and their monkey are putting the cheap computers and the like on EBay, they have driven the prices down. Not to mention that sales tax and Ebay fees are eating into their profit. You get a resellers license (or a business license), look up wholesalers on the net, and order as much as you want without having to pay the sales tax. Do it legally and stop hogging all the stuff that people need for presents!!!!

I disagree with you 100%!

SOME (not all) are not thankful for Ebay as a resource, its a last resort so they are stuck with paying the higher price set on ebay! :g_thumbsd

As for those that want other to "shop" for them...I dont think so! That is a load of bunk! God, you must be an EBAY seller. I buy stuff on EBAY but at close retail price. Ebay is supposed to be for deals sometimes and other times you are getting jacked because hoarder wanted all the merchandise to jack up the price to allow "disabled" or "sick" people to shop for them...Right.....:grandpa::eek:

You can disagree with me all you want, I have a different perspective. I was thankful for Ebay a couple of times.

I have never sold a thing on EBAY. Never will. I am happy people do it so I don't have to.

It does stink that others bought up gobs of stuff and then sold it. I am not saying that is great but nothing you can do about it.

Guest all2tired

I dont blame people for buying stuff and reselling on Ebay if they are able. Now if the people that you sold your stuff to ended up reselling on Ebay i would be upset.

That would really piss me off but I can feel it in my heart that they truly wanted it for their child

My opinion on this is...if you're that stupid and desperate to go on ebay to pay triple or more for the item you want...well thats you :fryingpan . But im sure some store or site online will have these items at normal price before xmas, its still around 4 weeks away. For example, you gotta be crazy to spend 700 to 2000 for an xbox on ebay but thats just me.

"The point of this thread is basically the same thing, if the greedy did not hit the bf ad's to sell on ebay, alot more kiddos would see more items on their wish list under the tree. "

There is NOTHING wrong with selling what you got on eBay, or at a flea market, or in any other arena. And I have more concern for a kid who doesn't even have a roof over his/her head or food on the table, as opposed to a tree missing toys that are being MARKETED to you via television shows, commercials, magazines, radio, etc.

The subject of this thread is "I'm so disappointed in people". Well, I am so disappointed in SELF-RIGHTEOUS people who make judgments left and right of people they don't even KNOW. Whatever good deed, sacrifice, charitable donation you do will be rewarded by GOD and GOD alone. The RESPONSE to that good deed, sacrifice, charitable donation does NOT NULLIFY that deed, since the response reflects the RECIPIENT, not the GIVER.

If you are so concerned about other people and what they do or don't do, there is a simple solution: Be the example of what you want to see. Be a ROLE MODEL.

Guest all2tired

I think it is crazy to spend 400. Heck I am pissed I bought Gamecube & XBOX for 149.00, I think, way back when.

Game systems are just not worth that much to me.

The only reason my kids have the gamecube is because one year I won about 20 games so I broke down and bought them the GC so they could play all the games I won

I don't think rebate forms prohibit reselling it... you own the piece of

hardware after you buy it. You just send them the receipt, bar code, etc...

you could sell it, smash it, paint it pink, turn it into a potted plant, etc....

they don't know and legally couldn't do anything about it anyway. Buying it

qualifies you for the rebate, not buying it and keeping it.

Anyway, I didn't wait in line and flip items on Ebay, but if someone's willing to

wait it out and that's their intention, I have no problem with that... it's legal

and well within their right. Wish I would have remembered the 360 was

coming out, I would have made sure to get one or two myself.

Wrong. Do you ever read fine print on rebates?

For example, from my Netgrear rebate:

"Offer limited to end-users only. Dealers, distributors, and other resellers are not eligible for this offer."

"Warning: Fraudulent submission could result in federal prosecution under mail fraud statutes (Title 18, USC Sections 1341 & 1342)."

If you are reseller, when submitting this rebate you are commiting fraud. Most of the time they can't find out, but that does not mean it is not illegal.

Now, if the rebate form does not mention anything about reselling or being to end users only, it might be ok.

For most ebay sellers the rebate technicalities are ussually not a concern.

I totally agree with selling on eBay. I sometimes sell the dolls I make on there. I just think it's different to go to WM on BF buy a buggy full of CPK dolls for $10 each and sell them on eBay. What about the people in the store who had waited for hours and maybe they can't afford to pay full price, and didn't get one because of the people buying alot of them to sell on eBay.

That is up to the stores to limit the qty each customer can buy. If the stores don't put a limit then there is nothing wrong with it.

Um, scuse me. I have an issue with that statement. Where else in the whole world would you pick up a x box 360? If it weren't for the greedy, I could still walk into a store and buy those, last time I looked there was over 10,000 of those on ebay. The point of this thread is basically the same thing, if the greedy did not hit the bf ad's to sell on ebay, alot more kiddos would see more items on their wish list under the tree. :mad:

Oh give me a break could still walk in the store and get one Umm no. XBOX put out that there was a shortage. Over 1 million were released here in the states. You really think those 10,000 made such a huge diffrence they would still be in the store? Not even. Some people plan and put in some extra work and thus make money. Thats what drive's capitalism and why some people make $1,000 a month while others make $10,000 ect. Want to be mad maybe be mad at XBOX who didn't release enough to meet the demand creating a huge shortage which is driving the Ebay market. Like it was said no one is making these people pay that amount. They can wait a few months and get one where there are more avalible. If they insist on having it now then they have to pay the going price. I sold one and am thrilled with how much I made. I don't work and we live on the Army's salery. My family gives for this country daily and unfortunatly pay in the USA isn't based on how good you are or how much you sacrifice. Because I planned ahead my kids are having a much better Christmas than we could have afforded otherwise and we now have a Emergancy savings which we used up 2 months ago to fly out for my husbands grandmothers funeral

Mara

Capitalism at it's best. Do you blame the store because they jack up the price after they buy them wholesale?

I see where you are coming from, but it isn't worth getting mad over. Just feel good for the good deed that you did. :)

Capitalism? Sure. At its best? Hah!

When I read stuff like that, it makes me wonder if people think about what they're typing, or if they're just repeating a phrase they've heard over and over again.

Great thread all2tired!! It's great that you did something for others because it was the right thing to do. I agree that sometimes those who can least afford it do give the most. I wonder if that is because they are the most aware of how much a small act of kindness can mean to someone.

I understand that capitalism works, it is our system and it's arguably the best system - but I'll save the ethics of resale and such for another time.

The thread title is about being disappointed in people and I think that Mara and outnumbered may have been the closest to what I'm thinking. I'm not naive and I am realistic. However, I also think about how sad is it that some of us think that we must have these luxury items. Is your entire life valued by your ability to obtain an X-Box 360 on day 1 of it's release? Will a child be scarred for life because he or she didn't get one of these Bratz dolls? Is your vision so impaired that you MUST have a 52" Plasma TV? I understand that many of us would like to have at least some of these items. But to see the deep emptiness in people just because their BF shopping cart is also empty disappoints me. It's not like you went to the grocery store and couldn't get a true "must have" item like food.

Great thread all2tired!! It's great that you did something for others because it was the right thing to do. I agree that sometimes those who can least afford it do give the most. I wonder if that is because they are the most aware of how much a small act of kindness can mean to someone.

I understand that capitalism works, it is our system and it's arguably the best system - but I'll save the ethics of resale and such for another time.

The thread title is about being disappointed in people and I think that Mara and outnumbered may have been the closest to what I'm thinking. I'm not naive and I am realistic. However, I also think about how sad is it that some of us think that we must have these luxury items. Is your entire life valued by your ability to obtain an X-Box 360 on day 1 of it's release? Will a child be scarred for life because he or she didn't get one of these Bratz dolls? Is your vision so impaired that you MUST have a 52" Plasma TV? I understand that many of us would like to have at least some of these items. But to see the deep emptiness in people just because their BF shopping cart is also empty disappoints me. It's not like you went to the grocery store and couldn't get a true "must have" item like food.

Thank you. I see it that way to. I would NEVER hike the price on food or something that you need to survive and do and have bent over backwards to help people get those things. My XBOX sale also allows me to give more than I normally could to the salvation army and things like that. People don't need an XBOX and it won't kill anyone to wait a few months till the price comes down if they can't afford the going price now. There are many other $10 dolls out there maybe they aren't the hot brand name but if your little girl is snubbing her nose at a doll thats not the right brand I think you have bigger issues to worry about than what people are selling on ebay. My view may not be popular but its mine :)

Mara

Exactly. If the country was starving, only a couple people had any food, and they were charging $100 for food that cost a nickel...that would just be wrong. But last time I checked, an xbox or a cabbage patch kid weren't necessary to sustain life. I am all for giving kids a great Christmas...but I also manage my kids' expectations. They know they can want all kinds of toys, but they will actually GET only some of those toys, and they are always quite happy with what I'm able to provide for them. And at ages 4 and almost 6, my boys understand some things are simply too much money and they pick out other items instead, and are thrilled to get those cheaper items. It's not going to destroy anyone's Christmas to not get an xbox...or at least, it sure as heck shouldn't.

IMO, it's wrong to get these limited offers and resell them. My reasoning is simply that the only reason you (as a reseller) are there is because you know you are taking those items away from someone else (the person standing behind you), then you're going to turn around and try and sell it to them at a profit. That's ethically wrong.

Is it your good planning or your ability to stand out in the cold or anything else that made you a profit? Not even close. It's pure greed. If you want to be in business and make money reselling items open up a store and take a risk and earn it honestly, don't take from other people.

Plain and simple the way I see it.

Feel free to disagree, it's just my opinion.

I see it both ways, I really do.

This reminded me, there were these cute summer dresses at Target. I wanted the current size for my daughter, then next years size (3T). A lady came up while I was standing there and grabbed all of the dresses in one arm full. I asked jokingly (yet pissed off inside) why she needed so many and she said to make money. Sigh. I asked if I could have one 3T dress, she looked over at my cart (which had my daughter sitting there in it, holding the 18m dress) and she goes, "Well, you got one". I am usually the type to not back down, but with my kids there, I just glared at her and walked away.

That evening, a lady in Portland, Oregon listed over 20 dresses on eBay. They were sold at Target for .79 cents each (major 4th of July clearance) and she had them at $5 each.. and yes, they all sold.