Wow, I just talked to CC on the phone and they gave me a lot of info!!

phatferd

so i will still need a phone? lots of rv parks don't have phone service. and we might not be there that long week or two. and how much does this run?$$$$$$$$$Big bucks

Yes you will need phone service.

Do you have a cell phone? If you do who is your provider?

verizon ooops t-mobile

I have good news then.

What you will need is 3 things:

• Upgrade your cell phone service adding T-Mobile Internet which is $20/mo for unlimited use.
  • You need a cell phone which offers EDGE, if you do not know if yours does call T-Mobile.
  • You will need an adapter to connect o your laptop, they cost $35 - $50 and can be found on eBay.

Most importantly you need to have a cell phone which has EDGE capabilities.

Please call T-Mobile and ask them if you have this?

I have good news then.

What you will need is 3 things:

• Upgrade your cell phone service adding T-Mobile Internet which is $20/mo for unlimited use.
  • You need a cell phone which offers EDGE, if you do not know if yours does call T-Mobile.
  • You will need an adapter to connect o your laptop, they cost $35 - $50 and can be found on eBay.

Most importantly you need to have a cell phone which has EDGE capabilities.

Please call T-Mobile and ask them if you have this?

Or just get a sidekick! lol.

RossMan obviously knows more than my about using internet when you travel frequently. If you get a wireless network card put into your computer you might be able to connect to other peoples networks. I don't know how legal this is.

thanks rossman i will go that route for now. but i know where i can go if i have any more ??? gottadeal.com where everyone is willing to help.Thank you for having this site helps with ???'s and saves me money!!!!

If you have access to a regular phone line check out FreedomList.com

If you plan on using your T-Mobile cell phone for internet access, check out HoFo.

Or just get a sidekick! lol.

RossMan obviously knows more than my about using internet when you travel frequently. If you get a wireless network card put into your computer you might be able to connect to other peoples networks. I don't know how legal this is.

I heard that this is illegal, for some reason. I don't know why, it seems that whoever's broadcasting the signal wants to share the connection, or else they'd password the connection.

As a current Windows user I can download enough spyware, crapware for free! No need to have AOL. I think I will just skip these "deals". Verizon has FIOS going online here at the end of December, that should be an interesting time for Comcast...........I can't wait.

My mom has AOL for broadband right now and its $15 a month. You just pay for their software and email, you don't pay full price which is $23 I think because you aren't using them as an ISP.

You already have to have a broadband account with another ISP such as cable or DSL.

I have BYOA because I have DSL and I only pay 9.99 a month I am not crazy about AOL but DH likes their email and we have the kids on there and block most of their stuff with parent controls. They are not allowed to access the internet through IE except my oldest :razz:

I hope this ? makes sense. I have Comcast cable connection. If I signed up for the AOL broadband plan to save $70, is there any information I would need to know about the plan I currently have when I fill out the AOL paperwork? My husband won't be with me and he's the technical one. Thanks!

I hope this ? makes sense. I have Comcast cable connection. If I signed up for the AOL broadband plan to save $70, is there any information I would need to know about the plan I currently have when I fill out the AOL paperwork? My husband won't be with me and he's the technical one. Thanks!

No, all they'll ask you is for your credit card number or banking information. You may not even need to give them that, you could pay by check every month.

Can't you also get some kind of internet service via DirecTV? A lot of RVers use satellite TV anyway so that might be another option.

I don't think so. They usually have a deal with an outside company that allows you to just put both services on one bill.

For example, in Phoenix they have a deal with Qwest phone and DSL.

Dish Networks does this in SoCal with SBC.

Can't you also get some kind of internet service via DirecTV? A lot of RVers use satellite TV anyway so that might be another option.

Yes, it used to be called direcpc, now it's called direcway.

www.direcway.com

Look into that. It's pretty expensive, but it's broadband internet access from anywhere in the continental US with a clear view of the southern sky.

Also, Verizon and Sprint both have EVDO internet now. That is broadband internet access from your cell phone. You can either use Bluetooth or USB to connect your computer to your cell phone and have broadband speeds, or you can buy a data card from them that you put in your laptop. That way you can get broadband speds from anyplace the EVDO service is available.

Direcway is the best option for coverage though.

I have one other suggestion here for AOL. You do not have to use it your self. You could give it to someone as a Christmas gift, or to a friend who can't afford it. Just my two cents. Or if you want to be sneaky find someone who already has it and needs to renew anyway have them do it and use their info for the rebate.

Pardon my ignorance, but I've read so much here in the past few days I think my brain is fried. If what I'm reading is correct then the CC Laptop deal is 450.00 (- AOL 250.00 instant rebate) = 199.00 +(12 months of AOL service @ 15.00) final cost of 379.00.

If the AOL rebate was not immediately applied then your cost would be 450.00 + 180.00(15.00 X12 months) =630.00 - 250.00(AOL rebate) = 380.00. Even if you never use the AOL service you pay for you still save 70.00 by buying the service plan. Does this make sense?

Mark

Does anyone know if you have to pay for the AOL up front or do you pay for it monthly? Either way would be fine, I would just like to know ahead of time since I plan on taking nothing but cash. Also, do you have to start the AOL right away or can you wait a few months. I would opt for the dial up since we're on my fathers connection right now until we move out. So I would want to wait until we move (after the first of the year) to start the AOL.