Wow, I just talked to CC on the phone and they gave me a lot of info!!

phatferd

Called a CC and spoke with the computer department. I would put this in the laptop or desktop thread, but I think it may get lost in there because those threads move really fast.

I want to post this to answer a lot of CC and the AOL deal questions.

First he was very forthcoming with the info and when I mentioned I saw the ad he said, "It's an awesome deal isn't it!" He said in a really exciting voice too.

He answered all my questions. They will do vouchers (the other CC I contacted is as well, but they wouldn't tell me anything about the deals, just that they would do vouchers for high demand items).

The AOL rebate will work like this....The $15 a month broadband plan is a valid option and will get you the $250 rebate.

You can be an existing AOL customer to take advantage of the deal, all you'll be doing is commiting to another year with AOL.

I was so suprised at how forthcoming with the info he was that I forgot to ask how many they had.

He was also curious as to how I found out about it. He didn't care, he was just curious and thought it was really cool that people know about it.

Ok idiot here. What is the difference between regular AOL and broadband AOL?

If I were guessing, I would say the $15 plan he's talking about is the "Bring your own access" plan. Say you have broadband (DSL, cable, etc) you can still get AOL for a cheaper rate, because you're not using their access numbers to dial up to.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

About $45.00 bucks rotfl:rotflol:

sorry about that couldn't resist

My mom has AOL for broadband right now and its $15 a month. You just pay for their software and email, you don't pay full price which is $23 I think because you aren't using them as an ISP.

You already have to have a broadband account with another ISP such as cable or DSL.

Ok, I know you guys are gonna think I'm stupid but I still have no idea what you guys are talking about. :(

Not stupid!

There's the regular AOL sub you can get which is for dial up users, it's your only ISP. Then there is the AOL you can use with an ISP you already have. For instance, I have Comcast but if I wanted, I could sub to AOL Broadband. AOL runs off of my Comcast connection BUT I will have the features AOL brings.

So the regular AOL is just the normal one they came out with initially before broadband was available to regular people (eh, I could get more technical, but my head is hurting tonight, lol). Then there is the broadband kind that you use with your DSL or cable connection..

Ok, I know you guys are gonna think I'm stupid but I still have no idea what you guys are talking about. :(

AOL has 2 plans. A $15 a month plan, you must already have DSL or Cable internet to use it because all it does is allow you to use the AOL program and email.

The other plan is $23 a month and that is their normal unlimited dial up hours. You must use a modem and phone line to get online.

The CC rebate on their laptops and desktops allows you to take either option.

If you do the $15 a month one for 12 months thats $180 (which is $70 less than the $250 rebate).

If you do the $23 a month one for 12 months thats $276 which is $26 more than the $250 rebate, so it would only benefit you if you chose the broadband plan for $15 a month, unless you already use dial-up and were going to pay it for the whole year anyway.

the 14.95 a month broadband deal is the DSL plan. Its minimum dsl though @ 768kbps, but thats way better then dialup at 56kbps lol. DSL is a connection for the computer, like ie. cable, dialup, dsl. :tongue1:

the 14.95 a month broadband deal is the DSL plan. Its minimum dsl though @ 768kbps, but thats way better then dialup at 56kbps lol. DSL is a connection for the computer, like ie. cable, dialup, dsl. :tongue1:

No wonder she's confused. Not trying to be rude, but AOL for broadband could use cable. I don't know how you got that DSL is involved other than it is an option, but there is no minimum, that all depends on your ISP?

AOL has 2 plans.

AOL for broadband is $14 a month. You need an ISP already. If you have cable or DSL internet you meet the requirements for this service.

If you use dial-up and most commonly a 56k modem, then you need to go with the $24 a month plan.

CC will honor either subscription for the rebate.

Ok, sorry I'm thread jacking this thread...lol.

Two more ?'s...

What is a wireless G router? (it says it comes with it)

And can you connect a laptop to regular dial up connection? (We would opt for the dial up as we are staying with my father until we get our house built but now plan on moving into an apartment aftet the holidays since they are driving us crazy being here and house isn't even started yet. So, we don't have our own internet connection right now we are on his).

Thanks in advance!!

I would just skip AOL's clunky software and pay the $449 or $499 whatever it is and get your own internet package elsewhere or go to BB and get the $379 laptop or the $149 desktop. :g_dance:

Why got to BB and pay $379 for the same laptop except it has half the memory and 20 less GB hard drive for the same exact price?

If you do the $14 a month plan that is $180 which makes it $380, the same exact price?

I hate AOL too and won't even use it, but it will save me $70 on the sticker price.

Ok, sorry I'm thread jacking this thread...lol.

Two more ?'s...

What is a wireless G router? (it says it comes with it)

And can you connect a laptop to regular dial up connection? (We would opt for the dial up as we are staying with my father until we get our house built but now plan on moving into an apartment aftet the holidays since they are driving us crazy being here and house isn't even started yet. So, we don't have our own internet connection right now we are on his).

Thanks in advance!!

Wireless G is a router, which sends the internet signal a specific distance through radiowaves.

If you have cable or DSL you just plug the router into the modem and the signal is transmitted throughout the house and your laptop or computer has a wireless card in it which takes that signal and allows you to surf the web or share files or a printer without any wires connecting your 2 computers.

You can hook the laptop up to dial-up if it has a 56k modem, which I think it does.

If your father in law has his own internet provider already then you could just share his internet and not pay anything for an ISP, just the $15 a month for AOL. Ask your Father in Law who is ISP is? If its cable or DSL, you could share his internet with the router.

No wonder she's confused. Not trying to be rude, but AOL for broadband could use cable. I don't know how you got that DSL is involved other than it is an option, but there is no minimum, that all depends on your ISP?

Ah i just got home from work lol, doh i thought she was talking about verizon :bonk: lol. Sorry forget anything i wrote :hideunderpaperbagemote:

If your father in law has his own internet provider already then you could just share his internet and not pay anything for an ISP, just the $15 a month for AOL. Ask your Father in Law who is ISP is? If its cable or DSL, you could share his internet with the router.

Thanks for the info!! And no, he has dial up!! Stupid Bellsouth. I hate it. I always get disconnected. And once we moved out we planned on getting AOL.

Ah i just got home from work lol, doh i thought she was talking about verizon :bonk: lol. Sorry forget anything i wrote :hideunderpaperbagemote:

That's cool I know I could come off as rude sometimes, I don't mean to, but she was confused and what you said I was like ahhhh. I didn't want to confuse her more, lol.

I'm just trying to help.

Thanks for the info!! And no, he has dial up!! Stupid Bellsouth. I hate it. I always get disconnected. And once we moved out we planned on getting AOL.

I would look into DSL, it's usually cheaper than Cable and most DSL providers now offer prices right around AOL and it's a lot faster.

Also if you guys get digital cable, check with your cable company a lot of times they give you price breaks on either the digital cable or internet if you get both.

That's cool I know I could come off as rude sometimes, I don't mean to, but she was confused and what you said I was like ahhhh. I didn't want to confuse her more, lol.

I'm just trying to help.

Its all good.

I would look into DSL, it's usually cheaper than Cable and most DSL providers now offer prices right around AOL and it's a lot faster.

And thats what i was talkin about lol. Verizon is doing TV commercials for DSL for 14.95 a month and MSN is included i think. Cant beat that but i like my cable because its wayyyyyyy fast :D

o.k this ? is for phatferd and saturn or anybody that knows the answer. We are on dial up in an rv but we want to move around (go to other citys or states) and we have (or going to have 2 laptops) and we want to be on at the same time. how do i do this?

o.k this ? is for phatferd and saturn or anybody that knows the answer. We are on dial up in an rv but we want to move around (go to other citys or states) and we have (or going to have 2 laptops) and we want to be on at the same time. how do i do this?

Get an ISP which has nationwide local phone numbers (AOL does).

You will also need a phone line, grab the phone numbers for the cities you visit and you can connect.

Does that make sense?