Why do people steal/vandalize Christmas decorations??

nikkilugi

Tonight my husband asks me "Where is your little polar bear?". I have or, should say had, a set of 2 polar bears - a big mom which moves its head side to side and a static baby. They are the lighted tinsel type. Sure enough baby is gone. The stakes are still in the yard but the bear is MIA.

I am frustrated because this isn't the first time my yard decorations have been stolen or just plain vandalised. In fact last year was probably the first year my stuff was left alone. I have other things out like my Rudolph that I am worried will get taken next. We don't live in a bad area - and our other holiday decorations don't get bothered any other time of the year. We have a huge Halloween display we put up every year- a full cemetary with huge pillars in front, a pvc fence and tons of props. Nothing happens to that. Why just Christmas?

I am really bummed. It sucks that people just want to bring other people down.

I am really bummed. It sucks that people just want to bring other people down.

Sorry you have a grinch in your area. My mom wanted to put decorations outside this year and told her not to bother since you never know. we have new ppl in the area that are iffy.

I know it's no consolation,but that very thing has been on the news here too. One person set up a camera and showed the perp actually knocking down(and ripping) her giant Santa. Police released the video in hopes of someone turning in the person who did it.

Sad that you can't even put out enjoyable things without someone stealing them.

:no:

So sorry you have a nasty Scrooge vandal :( Makes you wonder if it is someone who never had a nice home life/family who had any spirit or good will in them... or maybe just some 1/2 drunk college kids doing it on a dare?

It would be nice to get a camera and turn into the police. . but that is alot of bother.

I suppose the safest thing to do would be to do as much decorating you can with LIGHTS, on the bushes, frame of the house, railings, etc. too hard for them to get those off, too much work! I know it isn't the same.

Do you have a bay window? you could put something very decorative in there--and also if you keep the items CLOSER to your home, less likely they will be taken. I know folks who have secured their bigger plastic Santa's snowmen, etc,

to a fence or railing using very strong, thin wire, again the creeps go to grab it, and can't move it, realize it's taking too long/ so they quit and go to an easier target.

Personally I would hire a band on Ninjas, solves multiple things here. 1. WHO DOESN'T LOVE NINJAS. 2. They will rid the neighborhood of people not fitting. 3. Again NINJAS.

:)

Being more serious it's disgusting the things people do. I'm originally from MI and we have a place called Bronners that's a Christmas wonderland. AWESOME place. Last year some kids vandalized multiple statues and displays causing around $100k in damage. Whats even worse. They did it on Christmas. DISGUSTING. I would look at a streaming web camera and put up a notice that says Hope you enjoy our decorations and being on camera. SMILE.

Personally I would hire a band on Ninjas, solves multiple things here. 1. WHO DOESN'T LOVE NINJAS. 2. They will rid the neighborhood of people not fitting. 3. Again NINJAS.

:)

Being more serious it's disgusting the things people do. I'm originally from MI and we have a place called Bronners that's a Christmas wonderland. AWESOME place. Last year some kids vandalized multiple statues and displays causing around $100k in damage. Whats even worse. They did it on Christmas. DISGUSTING. I would look at a streaming web camera and put up a notice that says Hope you enjoy our decorations and being on camera. SMILE.

LOVE IT! I DO love ninjas.

My husband does have a camera system. I think he is going to fix it and get it going again. The sign is a great idea too.

I posted once, but for some reason it did not go through. I would mark the remaining outdoor decorations with a Sharpee - either on the back or bottom. For the one that got stolen, I think I would be driving around the neighborhood and seeing if I recognize it. I would also check Craigslist for your area and see if someone stole it to sell. Evil knows no bounds so even Christmas decorations are not sacred to a thief.

A woman on the news here decorates her whole yard for Halloween. SOmeone stole all the heads of the decorations. They had it on the news and a worker in McDonalds heard some kids talking about doing it. She went up to them and told them if they didn't return them, she was calling the police. They took them back theirselves. Seriously, deercams are not expensive . My husband has 3 of them and moves them around to watch the deer. Just set one up.