Really need help with this gift situation

floridasun5

I'm usually good with picking out gifts for others, but this one for my parents this year really has me stumped.

Without going into a lot of detail and making this too long, my stepfather was just diagnosed with a terminal illness. He has been given about 6 months-2 years but just not sure in what capacity either. Needless to say my mother as well is now primary caretaker and they also cannot go out much since he can't be around a lot of germs or anything that could get him sick. :(

Previous years, they used to love getting Omaha Steaks gift sets to cook but now it has caught on and most of their friends are buying them food now. They also have limited space in the fridge/ freezer for too many food gift sets. My stepfather used to enjoy fishing and they used to love to travel, but everything has just really come to a screeching halt. I'm also not even sure if he has any dietary restrictions.

My parents are also not too sentimental, so nothing like memory gifts or photo albums, etc. I'm really at a loss here. Other than food gifts, does anyone have any other ideas?? Trying to keep it under $100 if I can.

Thanks

maybe get a couple movies like travel like taking a virtual trip and get a basket of snacks for that "trip"

my friend said to me to check bass pro shops or cabelas.they have movies from fishing around the world like fishing in chile, anywhere in the world.while he watches those your mom can have a little break.

great ideas so far...depending what their interests are maybe books or a magazine subscription or two? a nice cozy blanket, slippers, and/or robe for the winter or even one of those blanket w/sleeve things (if they'd find it amusing). If you're going down the movie road throw in some popcorn/snacks etc.

My grandpa and dad are partial to those hickory farms gift boxes.

What about a really nice electric blanket to keep him warm over the winter? Or depending on their mattress, one of those memory foam toppers for it. I agree with lots of movies, maybe some books for your mom, some nice comfortable clothes for them to lounge around in. A nice pair of leather gloves for when he does go out in public- thinner since I see you are in Florida, but thick enough to protect his hand from picking up germs, a scarf he can wear over his face that he can hide a mask under would be good too...a thin scarf. Air purifiers for the house would be good too.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I had not even thought about some of these things so this really helped. Bass Pro used to be his favorite store but I've never even been in one so I didn't know they had things like movies and such but I will take a look. I'm not sure yet what is keeping him busy at home so I will check with my mother as well.

If anyone thinks of anything else, please keep them coming though.

Guest michalchik1
There are a lot of good fishing DVD's out there. Even Walmart sells some. Maybe a fishing blanket/throw. My fiance and I picked one up for her dad at Walmart a couple weeks ago. There are also holiday sets that don't require a fridge or freezer.. snacks, popcorn, candies (if he doesn't have any dietary restrictions)

My sympathies to your family. How about a space heater--or maybe one of those electric fireplace ones? Or hand held video poker? A subscription to a movie channel for a couple months? Or outdoors channel? Maybe just special visits would be appreciative where you can help out a little and bring them restaurant or homemade dinners?

A GC for www.schwans.com I did this for stepmom when she was very sick. I was told they taste like home cooked meals.

They seem to have everything

Oooh, I LOVE Schwans. They stopped delivering directly to my house though, and now I never rememebr to order to have it shipped... Must put that on my to-do list.

Great idea.