Is it me or does the ads really HORRIBLE this year

jesusluvu

Sad fact is...black Friday has grown by leaps and bounds every year so the stores don't have to have as great of deals as they used to because they don't cater to us diehards anymore. It's now so mainstream that the "deals" sound great to the average shopper.

You have summed it up perfectly :gdiagree:

I'm a little bummed too. I really hate that so many stores are opening Thanksgiving night. I like BF to actually be on FRIDAY! My kids are only 3 and 5 so I'm shopping for toys but none of the stuff that they've been asking for is on a decent sale. I can get the stuff now in the Big Toy book from TRU.

I am just not impressed either. I *may* go to ON and see how many people are in line for the Mario game, but other than that. Nothing, I am not going out Black Friday shopping this year. I was super excited for it, but I have soured seeing how many stores are opening on Thanksgiving evening, sad, I feel bad for the employees and their families. Midnight was okay, but some stores have just gone too far. It is no longer Black Friday shopping, I am staying home and waiting for later in the month of December to finish up my shopping.

i am not that impressed either, I have been shopping all year and beat most of the prices I see in the ads. It really isn't a bargain to buy a cheap no name product that probably won't last more than a few months or after 1 use ( small appliances.)

I agree. This was my thoughts on most of the cheap TV's.

Well, that Walmart ad looks good. I like <$100 32" TVs and <$300 50" Tvs. We're a little spoiled. Lots of sales online. As for comparing prices to last year, check the gas pump or your grocery store receipt. Inflation happens when you inject $1,000,000,000,000 dollars into a $15,000,000,000,000 economy. If you don't like the deals, just move on. The rest if us are having fun filling our homes with amazing TVs and computers!

OHHHHHHHHHH. Man let me check my shoulders because it feels like you just cut my head off. :eek: I agree that inflation has hit us and that the economy is still trying to recover but that is the prime reason why the deals should be booming this year. The poor economy and lack of sells for alot of these items should make moving this merchandise all more appealing to the manufactures and resellers. And as far as feeling your homes with amazing tv's and computers please show me where I can get the same deals your referring to. I would love to fill my home as well. :g_thumble

i see some good deals at walmart. the madded game and the 14 gun fire safe are a sale for me.

Gun safe .... I am creeping off this tread ... LOL... I am with you there. I love to exercise my 2nd Admendment right as well, but you can get that same one cheaper at the gun store that just opened up in my area now.

I am really disappointed in the video game area. I am hoping that they have better sales on the Xbox 360 w/kinect before BF. Last year they were 199 with a 50 GC. This year at Walmart it is 229 (online only). It is on sale for 199 at Target though, so I may try to PM at Walmart.

Thats the only thing I am looking for, for my grandson. I was really hoping for it to be cheaper than last year. Even for my kids, they all have their own TV's, phones, game systems, etc, etc. They don't need anything, and when they do, they buy it themselves. We have no idea what to get them, and they are no help with ideas.

Right,

I got my Xbox last year from walmart for that very reason. Great sale then, but not now. There about to come out with the new Xbox next year anyway so they should be giving these away just likethey are doing the Wii

for me, I think that my disappointment in the ads is coming from the fact that I used to scour the ads for toys. This year, my kids have reached an age where they don't really play with toys all that much anymore :( And since American Girl Doll (they've never had one, but will this year) doesn't mark down their dolls...... I have to look through the ads again. Not as a sad mommy whose kids are growing up, but as a mom who is looking for older kid stuff.....

I agree 100%. This is the same boat I am in. We do have a new DD, but she is just 4 months and reall y can't buy much toys for her yet, but my older 2 DD 8 and 9 do not want to many toys, so this transition is going to be hard for me and my wallet as it cost to see that smile on Christmas morning now. :yup:

I for one am pretty happy about the ads except for target. I'm more surprised that I'll be at kmart this year. I've never had to shop on thanksgiving day, but I'm gonna TRY and get 2 tvs.

Thanksgiving day at Kmart is the best. I scored my first LCD there years ago on Thanksgiving. It is early so I can get in and get out, with time for a nap before I eat. I thing that my local kmart does is provide a thanksgiving diner there for there employees that have to work on that day and they split the shifts so that everyone can spend time with there families as well. No more than 4 hour that day for any employee unless they request more hours. I know it is not the best but better than nothing.

Here is my 2 cents worth and that is all you get because I have to save the rest for BF! ;)

We are spoiled and expect bigger and better deals! Like fabnsab said, BF is becoming more popular, hence no need for the stores to give away the house.

My kids are getting bigger (5 & 8) and are getting electronics (tablets) this year for Christmas and a few very specific toys. I do not expect those toys to be one sale, but if they are it would be like having my cake AND eating it too!

We are buying a beach cabin, so I am actually loving going through the ads with a fine tooth comb to see what I can get to furnish the cabin. We need EVERYTHING!

WITH all that said, I am impressed with a 50" under $400 and 32" under $200. I am thankful for the ability to go through these ads and find great deals not only for my family, but for others not as fortunate as we are. I am not trying to be Pollyanna here, but I think we all need to step back a second and look at these ads for what they are. They are opportunities to buy things for our families (and others) at great deals. These companies are in it to make money, so I do not expect them to sell me something at a loss to their business.

I find myself looking for less this year, not for economic reasons as much as I just don't have the specific needs I have had in prior years. That said, I think there are pretty good deals, similar to recent years. It depends in part on what you are looking for. I agree, in particular that the JC Penney ad is disappointing, and I find their whole new approach disappointing (but even there, I am interested in the High Sierra Wheeled Duffels, something I have been considering for a while).

One thing I noticed when I was out yesterday is that I have to be careful on what I think is a BF sale. I needed a basketball for DD and was planning on getting one on BF. I got the one I wanted yesterday for only a dollar more than BF price (it was on sale) so I went ahead and bought it. Very thankful for the ads so I can make better decisions on what to buym where to buy it and when to buy it.

One thing I noticed when I was out yesterday is that I have to be careful on what I think is a BF sale. I needed a basketball for DD and was planning on getting one on BF. I got the one I wanted yesterday for only a dollar more than BF price (it was on sale) so I went ahead and bought it. Very thankful for the ads so I can make better decisions on what to buym where to buy it and when to buy it.

I completely agree! I've been able to pick up 4 video games at black Friday or almost black Friday prices in the past couple weeks.

While I'm actually very pleased with the sales we're seeing this year compared to the last two years of lackluster sales, I'll admit that I also use my ads as a reference point to grab as many things ahead if time as I can. :)

^^^ Agree with this about access to the ads ahead of time! The benefit has greatly out weighed the negatives of being disappointed. Knowing the items' prices on BF compared to sales this past weekend (veterans' day sales) helped us out immensely. Macy's prices on Friday and Saturday for their one day sale in addition to the $10 off $25 coupon eliminated the need to shop there on BF. The system was down that tracks what is allowed for the $10 coupon so all the sales assiociates were instructed to push all the coupons through. So the coupon "worked" on everything, morning specials, designer fashions, cosmetics, perfumes, everyday values....all the typical exclusions. Comparing the ad prices most items differed at most by $1, if that. Not as much on sale BUT what I needed/wanted was. Combined with minimal people shopping, fully stocked in all sizes and colors and I was a happy camper.

They were giving out boxes for all things, no waiting in line for that and as many as you needed. Great shopping experience.

Same is true for our new Toys R Us, picked up what I needed price matching to Target, Walmart and Big Lots and combining that with TRU's coupons, freebies and rebates (hasbro games) in the previous weeks sales.

Might only shop the remaining items on Amazon. We shall see. But having the ads ahead of time helped immensely, even if they were disappointing to some. Saved time, aggravation and in some cases money!

I agree the deals this year are disappointing. There are impressive TV deals but unfortunately I don't need a tv. It's hard to justify waiting in the cold in line 26 hours this year but I decided it beats paying even more, even though I'm not saving as much as I would have hoped.

If I were interested in the big items like TVs and Laptops, I'd probably be disappointed. But I'm not. I just look forward to DVDs, TV on DVD and maybe some books being on sale.

I think since I was looking for a big TV this year it really did me in, but I will make the bes t out of what is out there and still have a ball doing it.

I keep looking and looking trying to find something that draws me in. Either I'm getting old and have enough or the stuff advertised isn't stuff I need or I'm on the look out for, for my kids. As they get older, I guess they like the bigger things and one is the Ipod. I was sure disappointed to get the email from Apple today with no info whatsoever as to what kind of deals they might have-just an email. DD, 17 wants the new model Ipod (of course!) and I think I can get by getting the refurbished one from Apple for my boys 11, and almost 13. Not sure I want to wait til Friday for that...as I risk them being gone. And, I think the store plan for insurance is the way to go....