It aint what it used to be! Let's discuss early opening times...

woodsy

I have been doing BF shopping for years now. I have always loved the hunt for a great deal, planning my shopping routes, etc. Over the last 6 or 7 years the store opening times have been getting earlier and earlier, the lines longer and longer. Now it seems like the main players are opening for BF at about the time I'll be having that second piece of pumpkin pie! I'm really considering passing on BF this year, or at least just going at a "normal" time (7am?) and just getting what I can.

As someone who worked retail during high school and college, and having many family members that currently do, I hate idea of these store being open on Thanksgiving at all. Are we really down to having Christmas as the only day that 99% of stores/businesses are closed? I think I'm at a point in my life where the value of spending the extra time with family on Thanksgiving far outweighs dollars saved.

That being said, I wouldn't bet against me still being out at 4am that Friday ;)

I will probably out shopping for less hours this year. Since I refuse to cut my Thankgiving with family shorter, I will not be out there till midnight. So I will probably miss most of the doorbusters that I normally stand out in line for. So less to shop for means less hours shopping.

I definitely spent more time waiting in lines last year then ever before. I'm thinking I'll spend less time shopping this year, but it will be because I go out later and miss the big sale items. I'll also probably do a lot more online shopping.

Shorter in stores. I had to be in line hours ahead of BB opening last year at 12 am, which you have to do anyway but something was just ...off. Then had to stand in the check out line(s) until 4 am just because of my big purchases. Large screen tvs and pcs/laptops had to be paid for in their departments. By then I was spent and passed out sleep about 6 that morning. Everything after that was online only shopping. I would normally be pumped and ready for shopping if I am just starting at 5 am.

I am also not crazy about carrying out electronics and expensive purchases while its still pitch black dark. When you start at 5 am usually its light out when you are done. And if you are store hopping you have to leave all the items in you car in hopes that no one sees what you put in the truck or followed you to your car.

I really enjoyed the 5 am start time and have done so for years. But as with all things I'll adjust and change...but I am not happy about it.

Ive said it before...and I will say it again...I HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be missing all doorbusters this year because I will not and my hubby will not be out during Thanksgiving day. So, I am probably changing my whole game plan this year...If toys r us does a 5amish door buster I will start there and just hit the mall....

Seemed like in the past, you could get some sleep, get to stores for 5am opening and shop the whole day if you wanted to.

Now you have to leave Thursday night (and being Thanksgiving you usually don't have time to get any sleep during the day) and you probably get home early Friday morning exhausted and sleep the rest of the day.

I'd think stores would be much more empty around noon than they were years ago.

Seemed like in the past, you could get some sleep, get to stores for 5am opening and shop the whole day if you wanted to.

Now you have to leave Thursday night (and being Thanksgiving you usually don't have time to get any sleep during the day) and you probably get home early Friday morning exhausted and sleep the rest of the day.

I'd think stores would be much more empty around noon than they were years ago.

Yep, I hate early times!

I may be jinxing myself,but I think I will like the earlier opening hours. We can be done with our family T'giving by 7:30-8 and for the first time,I will be able to bring along DD17.

At my age,it's easier to STAY up than it is to GET up :P

I will have already done a lot of shopping earlier in the day (Meijer,KMart,CVS,Walgreens) so then can hit Kohl's,WM,and Target or wherever is open.

One thing-I don't stand outside for hours in the cold anymore. Almost all of our stores are 24 except Target and Kohl's so I won't go there until they are open.

Can't wait!

Last year I hit Walmart's 10:00 doorbusters, and was out of there by around 11:15. Went home and slept for a few hours, went back out around 4:00 and viewed the devastation, picked through the BluRays (still found quite a few I wanted), hit a few more stores, and was home by around 7:30 or so. With the old openings at 5:00 or so, I'd be out until around noon or so. So definitely less time.

Now you're talking about the BF's I used to love. :) Things sure aren't like they were then, and I miss them. I did some on line shopping last year Thanksgiving night, and didn't leave my house until 4am Friday morning. We only spent a few hours shopping last year, whereas in years past it was a all day event. The group that I've shopped with for years are all in agreement again this year, we won't do the early openings.

Edited by KrisinTn

I think thats true Brad. Over the past few years, especially last year, when we had lots of midnight openings. I notice when I went at 6am, it was no different than a usual weekend day. Little to no lines. I walked right up to the register at TRU with no waiting at 8am. I think people were probably there when doors opened and were gone by early morning.

I definitely spend less time in the store bc I get in and get what I need. It seems like I spent way more time waiting in lines bc of the huge time difference in openings. I travel an hour to my shopping place so going home & resting this year to come back later is outta the question. I miss the 5 am openings :(

hate it...don't agree with it...won't participate :no:

It was fun; an exciting event when after Thanksgiving dinner was done we would set up our game plan, take a nap, get up early and spend the entire day shopping. And that all day shopping was like being part of an exclusive club...all of us die-hards. Now everyone and anyone is out after drinking and so many little kids...just driving in the parking lots is dangerous!

There were so many large groups of teens, parents with little kids, lots of people who had never done BF before and just didn't know how it worked. They have every right to be there, but it sure made the atmosphere different and it was more difficult to navigate around the stores, find ends of lines, and find parking spots.

I'm sad that it seems to be all over :g_think:

My daughter and I always go to Old Navy on Thursday but that is all! My gosh, I really do not like how the stores are opening to early now......I will still wait to go out around 4am! I've already purchased my big ticketed items anyway! Thanks to you, I have been able to really know my prices and can spot a deal without waiting for the mad rush! :cheesy:

I may be in the minority here but I don't mind the early opening times. My family eats Thanksgiving dinner straight up 12 noon. We've done that for years because that lets the "boys" in the family eat and then hit the road for the deer woods. The only "BF store" in the small town where I spend Thanksgiving is Walmart. My mom and I build our shopping around the Walmart ad so it's really a win-win situation. We are never after the doorbusters at Target, Kohls or BestBuy since they are an hour drive. If we choose to hit those stores we go later in the day to browse and are not looking for anything specific.

We get in and we get out. Last year we went to the 10 PM and stayed for the midnight and were checked out by 12:15. At home in bed by 12:30 AM. So far, looks like I will be fast asleep on BF morning having gotten all I need/want at the 8PM Walmart Event.

Well if I just had Madison, I wouldnt mind the old hours BUT I have Luke and nobody will watch him cause he is little and still wakes up at night so I LOVE the new hours. LOL Hubby works on Friday so I'll go out on Thursday and be home by 3am. I'll shop again in the am after the kids get up.

But, yes I do agree it was more fun the old way. The excitement of getting up at 3am and standing in really long lines in the cold half asleep w/ a ton of other people was fun. :)

I miss the opening times of the past. Used to be able to get in line for one store before they opened, get what you needed from there and make it to the next one before they opened. Last year our group went out at our normal 3:30am time and still spent the whole day out but the crowds were a lot smaller during the day.

Stores are opening too early! With an 8p "event time", you probably have to be in line by 3p. Taking away the holiday time. Im sure the workers dont like it. I liked having dinner, time with family and a few hours of sleep before heading out in the early am. Cant call it BF any more.

I hate it too. I loved being able to spend all day with family, nap, and get up at 3AM to head out for the madness. Black Friday is FRIDAY, not Thursday, not Saturday...it's Black Friday. I have no idea what to do this year, and I don't think saving the money the day before Black Friday is worth missing out on my family traditions. Maybe I'll do a half and half thing: some online Thursday, some brick and mortor starting at 4 ot 5AM on Friday.

Do you guys think you shop for a longer or shorter overall time in stores because of the Thursday night openings?

I don't do much at all now, but I think the ads go live online earlier so there is no rest for Brad and his minions when checking links, etc...

I was just talking to my SIL aka my BF shopping buddy about this-and I'm thinking we may just get up early and see what is left at the stores. We don't want to cook, eat, clean up, visit and then shop all night. These openings have gotten out of hand and if I want to shop Thanksgiving Day sales that is one thing, but we want to do Black Friday on Black Friday.