When is the perfect time to put up xmas decorations inside/out

jcool785

I live in a deeded community so I cannot put up decorations outside until after Thanksgiving. I have always decorated the Saturday after Black Friday but the past two years I did it earlier (inside) or later because of vacations and I really like the tradition of the day after BLack Friday so I will be doing that this year.

If you put it up to early, it gets tiresome. One year my dh and dd put it up early Nov and it came down Christmas night. It used to be Thanksgiving night or black Friday and it goes down in Jan. I loved it when dd21 was young. It's not the same just dh and myself.

We usually decorate Thanksgiving weekend but don't light anything until December 1st and turn off January 6th. This year we are tarting earlier since DH will only have off Sundays and it takes us about 6 days to get everything up and ready. I love to decorate for Xmas, not so much the other holidays...

We usually decorate the inside the weekend of Thanksgiving. Then the outside within the next week or so. Weather isn't a factor here unless it's so hot out that it doesn't feel anything like Christmas to me and then I don't do it because it needs to be cool/cold out lol.

Seems to me, where I am the days surrounding veteran's Day always bring warm temps, lower winds, but who knows with Sandy this year. I have often put stuff out, but just not turned it on. Especially lights on the bushes... if weather wasn't a factor, ever, I'd put it all up 1-2 days before Turkey day! And turn it on after Thanksgiving dinner!

• 2 weeks later...

religiously i think its said to do it after the last week of ordinary time...lol. i dont know when that is..think its thanksgiving week?

anyhow i usually do it the first week in dec. other then cards...i hang those as soon as i get my first one..and got one from the red cross/blood donation last week:)

:holiday07:holiday05

If you see my earlier post (10-29) I said I often do it around Veteran's Day, as it usually warms up --and todays forecast says it is supposed to be in 60's here for the next 3 days! I just wish it'd happen one week later, like a few days before Thanksgiving. . . Nov 10, 11, 12, seems so early to me, even not turning them on...:holiday04

Off topic --if you are planning a 2013 wedding in and around Pittsburgh, choose the second weekend in November, weather has been STELLAR for the past few years....

For the outside stuff we watch the weather and try to pick the warmest 2 days between Halloween & Thanksgiving. However, they don't get lit until Thanksgiving night for the first time. For the inside, it used to be the weekend after Thanksgiving. A few years ago we somehow transitioned to the weekend before Thanksgiving. I like having the stuff up for Thanksgiving. I am still planning to go that route this year, but w/ the holiday early this year I am wondering if it might be too early.

We start Thanksgiving after dinner and continue through the weekend. A house in my town has already started putting up their outside deocrations earlier this week but have not turned them on yet.

Passed one of the strip malls and they had their Christmas decorations up on all the light poles last night!

DH put up the lights on the second floor today before going to work since its 75* now and tomorrow it drops to 34*. We'll do the rest of it throughout the week. There are 4 houses in our development that have lights up and on, 2 of which went all out. Our lights will go on once they're all up.