Help protest Office Depot

Guest bennettg

Didn't Home Depot do this last year? I think it is stinky!!! Heck - you are giving them FREE advertising! How can they even begin to complain. I use this website more than the ads I get on Thanksgiving. BOO HOO and SHAME on them...I will not be going to Office Depot ever again!

Why do stores care if we post their ad FREE. If I owned a store I would love that. IF the add is posted everywhere FREE then they don't have to pay to mail it out or put it in the paper. What's better than free advertising? I think a few lost sales before BF is cheaper than thousands of $s to print and publish.

Not quite that simple. If it were, there wouldn't be any printed circulars anymore since most stores already post their circulars on their own websites. I believe there might even be a link(s) to those weekly ads on the main gottadeal page.

It used to be a competitive advantage thing. Now with so many leaks and sites such as gottadeal (and the imitators) I think many stores have started to factor in the leaking and posting into their campaigns. But they're still not necessarily happy about it. They want you to ideally open up your Thanksgiving Day newspaper and see their circular and go WOW! Look at these deals! I'm going to Store X tomorrow! In theory when you have a week or more to compare and strategize, you may or may not go there.

I can't imagine why anyone would second-guess Brad and RossMAN for doing what they did. It's real easy to tell someone else to stand up to a corporation when you aren't the one on the hook for legal fees.

If Brad and RossMAN feel the wise thing to do is to take the ad down, so be it. Let any animosity be directed at the company who started the commotion.

Amen! That was essentially one of my earlier points. Only a lawyer would brag about an alleged $50k legal bill!

Besides, we still have plenty of their superior competitors to choose from!

I think everyone should request the 1,000 page catalog from their website-it has to cost a bundle to mail that out-then refuse it when delivered.

I like that. Why not find an address in Canada, or Hawaii, or the middle east to have it shipped to so it costs even more.

Didn't Home Depot do this last year? I think it is stinky!!! Heck - you are giving them FREE advertising! How can they even begin to complain. I use this website more than the ads I get on Thanksgiving. BOO HOO and SHAME on them...I will not be going to Office Depot ever again!

Last year, the main three were BB, Target and Kohls ...

@

What is that all about? :eyepoppin

heh... but if you're not kidding, then here's the short version:

Reps from Office Depot have been sending cease & decist letters & threating legal action to all the publicly known Black Friday sites. Not sure why, because all these sites do, is drum up more business. So hence my message out of spite, but don't let my opinions stop you from shopping there. (Even though the ad was never really that great anyway )

Actually, as opposed to previous years, they were the only company to issue C&D letters ... Even BB who has ALWAYS sent out C&D letters let it slide last year ...

I'm betting that next year, no-one is going to send out C&D letters ...

I suspect that OD only did it cos they didn't have the doorbuster prices ... afterall, everyone was complaining about the cheapest (BTO) laptop costing more (shipping NOT included) ... the advertisied Toshiba (which is identical to the BB model, expect I believe XP Pro rather than Home) was $499AR as opposed to $379 no rebate.

If you want to really PO officeDepot ... order the doorbusters online and then return the items ... When asked why? tell them that you "changed your mind do their pre-BF behavior toward BF forums" ... that way

a) They sell a tonne of stuff at minimal profit.

B) Pay UPS/Fedex/Whoever a bunch of money for shipping (two lots).

c) Your reason will be documented on their computers.

d) They will have a LARGE number of computers etc that will have to be sold in clearance, as open box items... which you could then buy even cheaper :-D

Suggestions for this include: the 19"LCD, non-BTO notebooks, Garmin GPS, PDa's, etc ...

THAT will have a bigger hit on the bottom line, than avoiding the store. And hopefully, it will get senior managements notice.

Just remember to a) use a creditcard :-) and B) return within 2 weeks :-D so you don't get billed by your creditcard :-)

@

@

Just to let you know if you call in to return a laptop they will more than likely not take it, and if they do they can't put in the reason that you'd like it to be into thier computers. The only reason to choose from is customer no longer wants/needs, customer ordered wrong item/ etc. If you do return it, it cannot be opened at all. FYI!

And please...be nice to the CSR's that are answering the phone for OD..they didnt cause this problem ;)