What to get 12yo DS?!!!

Jen8112

I'm at a loss on what to get DS this year. He wants all video games and DH said he's not getting all video games. I won't get him Legos cuz he has like 4 upstairs that he just opened to take the guys out. Lol. And he doesn't want toys. Ugh. I plan on getting him a Kindle Fire for his big (Santa) present but have no idea what to get him besides video games.

That's got to be one of the hardest ages to buy for! My youngest brother was 13 last Christmas and it was hard for everyone to come up with gifts for him. At least with girls you can do clothes and shoes and purses. Boys are so tough. My parents ended up getting him an iPod, a laptop, and a few video games. The rest of us got him video games. I also got him the Tpain microphone because I thought it was funny, but he had fun with it for about an hour and hasn't looked at it since. I think he also got some clothes, hats, and a blanket. Point is, the only thing he was into was video games, and that's the only thing that's held his interest. This year he's still into video games and now also wants gift cards, so that's what we'll do.

My son was 12 last year. That is a very hard age. We got him a really nice laptop, stuff to go with it, and that was about it. Probably a couple of games, clothes and stuff. And also a Sonic care toothbrush.

My oldest son, when he was about that age, still liked Nerf and Legos, so that was easier. When he was 13 we got him his first Kindle.

Not much help, am I? :(

Other things that aren't games: blankets or new set for bed, book sets, DVD sets (we got ds12 the Dr. Who series last year), Amazon gift cards for his Kindle Fire. My sons at that age also started getting into saving their money, so they liked getting that. Xbox points and Xbox live accounts are also a staple here. Maybe also accessories for his gaming stuff: game chair, headset, controller...

Cologne, mens' body wash and shampoo, men's lotion. New shoes. Wallet w/ money or gift cards in it. Gift certificates to movies or restaurants or video game stores. Magazine Subscriptions. I will think some more on this, if I come up w/ other ideas I will post them.

That's got to be one of the hardest ages to buy for! My youngest brother was 13 last Christmas and it was hard for everyone to come up with gifts for him. At least with girls you can do clothes and shoes and purses. Boys are so tough. My parents ended up getting him an iPod, a laptop, and a few video games. The rest of us got him video games. I also got him the Tpain microphone because I thought it was funny, but he had fun with it for about an hour and hasn't looked at it since. I think he also got some clothes, hats, and a blanket. Point is, the only thing he was into was video games, and that's the only thing that's held his interest. This year he's still into video games and now also wants gift cards, so that's what we'll do.

Yes my 7yo DD is Soo much easier. I get why DH doesn't want him to get just video games cuz he plays them too much as it is but if that's what he really wants I don't know if I can deny him. Ya know? Lol

My son was 12 last year. That is a very hard age. We got him a really nice laptop, stuff to go with it, and that was about it. Probably a couple of games, clothes and stuff. And also a Sonic care toothbrush.

My oldest son, when he was about that age, still liked Nerf and Legos, so that was easier. When he was 13 we got him his first Kindle.

Not much help, am I? :(

Other things that aren't games: blankets or new set for bed, book sets, DVD sets (we got ds12 the Dr. Who series last year), Amazon gift cards for his Kindle Fire. My sons at that age also started getting into saving their money, so they liked getting that. Xbox points and Xbox live accounts are also a staple here. Maybe also accessories for his gaming stuff: game chair, headset, controller...

Yes I do have an Amazon card and Xbox points on the list. He does need rechargeable controllers for his Xbox so thanks for reminding me. ;)

Cologne, mens' body wash and shampoo, men's lotion. New shoes. Wallet w/ money or gift cards in it. Gift certificates to movies or restaurants or video game stores. Magazine Subscriptions. I will think some more on this, if I come up w/ other ideas I will post them.

Thank you. Great suggestions. Keep em coming. :)

You could also get him a really good headset like Turtle Beach. My DS16 got that last year and says he wishes I had gotten it for him earlier. You could also get clothes, Aeropostale, Hollister, Abercrombie (all have been having some really great sales lately), gift cards to food places, a prepaid visa gift card so he could use later on. I heard that Microsoft is doing away with the points (DS told me not to get him any points for that reason). Other options are axe body stuff, chapsticks...

I will try to remember what are some of the things I get my DS and my Nephews.

Oh I almost forgot! What about a headset with a microphone for his gaming? My brother got one and loves it. I see where your husband is coming from with the video games, absolutely. I wish I could help with more ideas. I have 4 years until my oldest son is at that age, and I'm sure I'll still be lost!

You could also get him a really good headset like Turtle Beach. My DS16 got that last year and says he wishes I had gotten it for him earlier. You could also get clothes, Aeropostale, Hollister, Abercrombie (all have been having some really great sales lately), gift cards to food places, a prepaid visa gift card so he could use later on. I heard that Microsoft is doing away with the points (DS told me not to get him any points for that reason). Other options are axe body stuff, chapsticks...

I will try to remember what are some of the things I get my DS and my Nephews.

Oh I almost forgot! What about a headset with a microphone for his gaming? My brother got one and loves it. I see where your husband is coming from with the video games, absolutely. I wish I could help with more ideas. I have 4 years until my oldest son is at that age, and I'm sure I'll still be lost!

Oops, racerfan beat me to the headset! Lol. His is turtle beach too.

Haha. Ya the headset is a good idea. He has a cheapo one and was just saying how his friend has a Turtle Beach one. I wish they made them without the headband cuz it makes a huge dent in his hair. Lol

how about itunes gift card? I know cd's are dinosaurs nowdays. or maybe a ticket to an upcoming concert/festival he might be interested in.

iTunes is good. Both kids have iPods so I'll probably get cards for their stockings.

what about a video game chair??

I'll have to see if it will fit when we move him to his new room.

I agree witTurtle Beach headset. My DS loves game informer magazine, plus you then get a 10% discount on all used games and accesories at Game Stop. I renew it every year.

You can do this by going into any Game Stop.

Thanks. Ya I just got the PowerUp thing at GameStop. Lol

What suggestions does your Dh have?

I think when my boys were 12 we did the video games but also sports equipment like a portable basketball goal, roller blades, or a soccer goal, a weight set, a chin up bar for their doorway. We also did guitars or banjos around that age along with music stands cases straps etc...(they all still play)

I like the wallet with gift cards idea, and the event idea too. I want to get my oldest DS28 tickets to a professional football game but I have not worked on it yet.

What suggestions does your Dh have?

I think when my boys were 12 we did the video games but also sports equipment like a portable basketball goal, roller blades, or a soccer goal, a weight set, a chin up bar for their doorway. We also did guitars or banjos around that age along with music stands cases straps etc...(they all still play)

I like the wallet with gift cards idea, and the event idea too. I want to get my oldest DS28 tickets to a professional football game but I have not worked on it yet.

He has no suggestions he just said he's not getting all video games. I even asked him if headphones or rechargeable controllers were considered video games and he rolled his eyes at me. Lol. He plays baseball but that's it. He can't even ride a bike, got that from me lol, and he has a Razor. Maybe on the weight set though. He could use more upper body strength for baseball. :)

Do you have a local place that has a zipline or obstacle course? Maybe a gift certificate for that which would get him away from the video games for a couple of hours.

I think we have one of those trampoline places around here. I'll look into it. Thanks. :)

my son is 11, also very into video games, and this is what his list consists of:

under armour socks

3-4 xbox 360 games

xbox controller

shoes

this is what he's getting:

ipod touch

itunes card

3 pr jeans

3 shirts/hoodies

underarmour socks

1 xbox 360 game

xbox 360 controller

baseball bag....to carry all his equipment

shoes

we do not go over board on stockings. it will be a large candy bar (bigger than king size), hollister or axe body spray, hair gel, watch, and a candy cane. if it doesnt look "full" i will stick an apple in the toe of the stocking. ;)

my son is 11, also very into video games, and this is what his list consists of:

under armour socks

3-4 xbox 360 games

xbox controller

shoes

this is what he's getting:

ipod touch

itunes card

3 pr jeans

3 shirts/hoodies

underarmour socks

1 xbox 360 game

xbox 360 controller

baseball bag....to carry all his equipment

shoes

we do not go over board on stockings. it will be a large candy bar (bigger than king size), hollister or axe body spray, hair gel, watch, and a candy cane. if it doesnt look "full" i will stick an apple in the toe of the stocking. ;)

Lol. Thanks. :)

My ds is 13, and it definitely gets more challenging. My son likes collectible knives, we get him a nice case knife every year. He also really liked air soft guns last year. This year he asked for his first bow. Btw he is a video game nut, this year he's really benn into minecraft. Does he have an Xbox? Maybe Xbox live card?

My ds is 13, and it definitely gets more challenging. My son likes collectible knives, we get him a nice case knife every year. He also really liked air soft guns last year. This year he asked for his first bow. Btw he is a video game nut, this year he's really benn into minecraft. Does he have an Xbox? Maybe Xbox live card?

Ya he's obsessed with Minecraft. Lol. I do plan on getting him an Xbox live card but again DH considers that video games. Lol

My ds13 has asked for some equipment to melt metals....probably should have put this weird things lol. None of my boys ages 13, 17 and 18 have ever asked for clothes except for the occasional tshirt from ThinkGeek....I can't even imagine their faces if they opened a box with clothes in it....they have always been gracious whenever they have received clothes ....but I always see the wonder in their eyes lol.....Santa does bring socks and undies for their stocking every year...even for DH lol!

My ds13 has asked for some equipment to melt metals....probably should have put this weird things lol. None of my boys ages 13, 17 and 18 have ever asked for clothes except for the occasional tshirt from ThinkGeek....I can't even imagine their faces if they opened a box with clothes in it....they have always been gracious whenever they have received clothes ....but I always see the wonder in their eyes lol.....Santa does bring socks and undies for their stocking every year...even for DH lol!

Lol. I always get DH socks and underwear. I've never got my kids clothes from Xmas though. I think they would defiantly look at me funny. Lol. I guess I should have got them clothes from the beginning but I think it's too late to start now. ;)

Ya he's obsessed with Minecraft. Lol. I do plan on getting him an Xbox live card but again DH considers that video games. Lol

My DH never has a clue what we get for DS14 until he opens them Christmas morning. I guess we have a nice little setup... He doesn't want to be included in the shopping, so I can buy what I want. DS14 is very into video games, too, and he always has plenty of them on his list. I usually split em up between myself and his 2 grandmas so he's not getting so many vgs under our tree, though, cause it looks so depressing with all those small boxes. His fav things right now besides his games and systems are his Ipad2, and his laptop and he loves his Beat headphones. I don't think his Ipad2 is ever outta his sight, even when he's playing his games, it's always nearby.

Oh, my DS14 either. I would never hear the end of it if I bought him clothes.

Edited by Kim3498

I never used to buy my kids clothes but they never used to care what they wear. Now that they are into Hollister, Abercrombie, and even Aero and a pair of jeans can cost $80 (I have never paid that) I will shop all year and pick up stuff from these stores (not counting when I take them back to school shopping) and they are included under the tree. On top of that this year I have no idea what to get my DS16 will be 17 on 12/21. DS has a tablet, desktop computer (does not want a laptop) ipod touch (which he no longer uses) just got the iphone 5, beats headphones, Turtle beach headset etc. He has everything...

I plan on giving him cash in various boxes since he has his permit and hopes to have his license by March so will probably be looking for a car then. At least with the clothes it also fills up under the tree. The only video games DS is asking for is Halo4 and Borderlands2. I have one pre ordered and already purchased the other but not sure how long can hold onto it since DS says he will walk over to Walmart from school and buy it if he does not get it soon...

argggg TEENS!!!

Lol. I always get DH socks and underwear. I've never got my kids clothes from Xmas though. I think they would defiantly look at me funny. Lol. I guess I should have got them clothes from the beginning but I think it's too late to start now. ;)