Black Friday Comparison Charts - What Did You Think?

stationchief

Well, it's that time of year again, folks. Time to break out that mace protective gear, time to practice those dodge-and-weave line jumping tactics, and it's time for...

... INSERT HIP THEME SONG HERE...

The Black Friday Comparison Charts!

As always, the charts can be found here: www.blackfridaycharts.com.

And for comparison, last year's 2011 charts can be found here: www.blackfridaycharts.com/2011

For those who don't know, the Black Friday Charts are a table-style detailed listing of every hot electronics item available for Black Friday from all the stores we receive ads for. They're useful for for comparing prices from different stores, comparing specs of different items, and all around finding the very best deal for you on Black Friday.

Instructions:

The instructions are as follows (and likely may change as they're currently in the process of being redesigned): simply start by selecting which chart you want to view (from Blu-ray Players to Video Games), choose what stores you want to search through (you can select the stores you're planning on shopping at or deselect stores that you don't have access to), and hit (or just click, to be safer) 'Display Chart'. That's all there is to it.

Once a chart is displayed, you can sort all the information by whatever by clicking on a column's title. For example: you can sort all the HDTVs by their price by clicking on the header called 'Price'. The arrows displayed under the column titles will show you if they're sorted ascending or descending. You can also bring one particular item to the top of the list by clicking on that item once.

Also, as a new feature, you can filter out certain items based on their specs or criteria. For example: let's say you're looking for only HDTVs that are larger than 40-inches. You can choose 'Show Only', 'Screens', then choose 'that are greater than', and type in 40. All the HDTVs that are greater than 40-inches will then be displayed.

General Info:

As always, the charts are made possible by the one and only StationChief (you're welcome ;)) and his band of friendly neighborhood volunteers from the GottaDeal forums, so be sure to thank everyone responsible. All updates to the charts will be posted here and I may even make some exclusive announcements during the Black Friday Webcasts by BigJimSlade among other GottaDeal media, so be sure to tune in and stay alert for all the latest info.

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Black Friday this year, and I hope the charts are useful to everyone.

Sincerely,

Frank

a.k.a. The Station Chief

Edited by stationchief

Okey-dokey. First order of business is to make the annual call for volunteers to help out with the charts. Remember, these charts are made possible by our very own members just like you volunteering their own time.

Basically, you'll be searching the internet for information on specifications and such, like on manufacturer's websites, and entering that information into an online form on a special website designated for chart volunteers. Some charts are small and easy with very little to search for, and some are much larger and a bit harder to find specs on. So please keep the amount of free time you can devote to these charts in mind.

So if you'd like to help out this year please send me a PM and also let me know if you have a particular chart preference you'd like to work on.

• 2 weeks later...

11/6/12 - Major Change to the Product Charts Coming This Friday

Just giving everyone a lil' heads up. On the morning of 11/09/12, this Friday which happens to be the two-week mark til Black Friday, not only will there be an update adding all the major ads that were released these last few days, but there will be a BIG change to the Product Charts website itself. Everything about the charts are being improved and I think everyone will be quite pleased with what's coming.

Not spoilin' the surprise just yet :P but stay tuned!

UPDATE: NEW CHARTS, NEW SITE!

But same old domain :)http://blackfridaycharts.com/

A lot of updates to the charts will be coming in all nite by our wonderous band of misfit volunteers, so very soon you will see everything from Walmart as well as Target. But the big news, if you were paying attention to BigJim's webcast tonite, is that the charts site has been completely redesigned to be more user friendly and even a little bit more awesome. Go have a lookie!

Some of the improvements you'll find are as follows:

• All new design and look... now with a static toolbar up top!
  • The chart's headers stay put. You can now keep track of what you're looking at when you scroll down a long chart!
  • The great big garble of stores to click/unclick is now compacted into a smaller scrolling box
  • A new dynamic search box. You can now search for specific multiple keywords on the fly!
  • You'll notice three more buttons: Copy (copies the table to your computer's clipboard), Print (a more printable format), and... SAVE! (that's right, you can save a copy of the chart to your computer in an Excel-compatible CSV file)

Hope everyone enjoys the new and improved formula for the charts this year. Happy deal hunting!

'The Station Chief'

blackfridaycharts.com

P.S. - And just a reminder the 'old' 2011 charts can still be found here: blackfridaycharts.com/2011

I think I am doing something wrong but when I click on the charts link I choose ipads/tablets & then choose the stores I want from list but don't see any button to display the chart. All I show is the reset button and the bar with all the headings but can't get the chart to display. Any help?

Hi Stationchief,

I want to believe it is me but I think there is one item missing. It is on the homepage ad but not the chart.

Store: Office Depot

Item : Samsung Galalxy Tab 2.

If is indeed me, then it about time for me to get a new pair of glasses

Hi Stationchief,

I want to believe it is me but I think there is one item missing. It is on the homepage ad but not the chart.

Store: Office Depot

Item : Samsung Galalxy Tab 2.

If is indeed me, then it about time for me to get a new pair of glasses

Looks like it's there now. We've been cranking out the updates over these last few days so it might not have been there before.