How long have you been doing BF? / Introduce yourself thread

julz0420

Started doing Black Friday 20 years ago, right after I had my son. I just couldn't resist the bargains. BF is special to me for a whole other reason though, I reconnected w/ my hubby during the Walmart opening madness. We had "dated" in high school and lost touch for about 6 years. Then while fighting through the crowds at Walmart on BF- I literally ran into him. Went to apologize and we recognized one another right away. We traded phone numbers, set up a date, and eventually got married. We will be celebrating 15 years together this year.

Been enjoying the gottadeal community since 2005.

I started Black Friday 2001. I remember so fondly.... I was a new college graduate, got my first job. I figured the black friday prices will stretch my new graduate paycheck money for x-mas gifts. My boyfriend & I saw some good deals in the Thanksgiving circulars and decided to go shopping. We got to Best Buy AT opening time 8am. The clerk said everything was Sold OUT!! My mouth dropped to the floor. I said, “BUT YOU JUST OPENED!!” He said , “people were lined up outside the store since 3am.” I thought, People lined up at 3AM??? I was shocked and devastated!! I couldn’t buy my family gifts at the good prices. So, I vowed I will NEVER be "shut out" of a product I wanted again. The following year I got up to go to Walmart at 1 am. My boyfriend thought I was CRAZY!! "He said, seriously, 1am??" "No one gonna be there, we are going to be all alone, its dark outside, it's cold, blah, blah, blah..." I listened to his complaints and said I was going with or without him. He decided to go, just to make sure I was safe. When we got there we were 10th on line. He was SHOCKED people were there already. We had stumbled upon a secret society. By 3/4am the line was AROUND the corner. The store opened at 9am. This was before they started the 5am openings. We had SO MUCH fun. Talking to fellow shoppers, making coffee runs, comparing shopping tips with other people. There were cops there to keep the peace. They were kind of joining in our festivities as well. I got my TV & camera that day. When I walked out of the store with my bags, I saw a young girl come in ask for the camera and the clerk said to her everything was Sold OUT! I just smirked to myself knowing...that was me last year. Now he's my husband, we have made it an annual tradition. We eat Turkey dinner and head out for the stores right afterwards. Every year we added something to our arsenal....chairs, camping heaters, generator, blankets, portable TVs'...etc. My daughter is well aware this is Mommy's tradition. I never take her with me, she's too young (9). She's knows Thanksgiving night she stays at grandma's house. I have seen a lot of BF changes through the years; 5am openings, ticket systems, so-called Black Friday sales in early Nov, the explosion of cyber monday, now Walmart lets you wait INSIDE the store. I miss the good ole days of just camping outside the store. That showed the True Grit of a person. How motivated they were to get the $100 flat screen TV. It was a “the strongest will survive” situation. I cant wait to when my daughter is old enough to join in. Then we can make it a family tradition.

What a LovelyStory, makes for a good o lholiday read !! :gdhug5:

Hi... I'm Jessica, from Elgin IL. I've been Black Friday-ing ever since I was little. I remember with my mom and rushing to the toy isle and getting Castle Gray Skul for my little brother back in the 80's.... LOL I was about 12yr at the time.. LOL good times!!

I started hard core shopping with my DH when my oldest was born in 1995. I've been on Gottadeal since 2006! Everyone is so nice and I love it! This year DH can't get off work (works overnight), he has had it always had it off in the past. ;) oh well. So this year, we will be heading out when he gets home!