Are you planning on spending more or less on Christmas this year?

ChristmasShopping

I think this year it will be more. The kids are getting older, I can't get away with $5 Barbies/etc anymore. I also plan on getting the oldest (a Senior) items for her to start her own first place, like towels/pans/household supplies/etc.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll end up spending more. I've gotten away with spending less on my youngest daughter the past 2 years because she hasn't been old enough to know the difference. This year she's old enough to notice if her big sister gets more. Plus, my oldest daughter has started asking for things instead of just waiting to see what Santa brings.

The last few years Christmas has been a really hard time for my family money wise. So we draw names from the oldest my Grandma age 85 to the youngest which this year is my new great-nephew Sammy who will be just 5 months on Dec 21. If all the bills are paid & there's enough left over my daughter & I are buying a new computer as a shared gift for us.

We will be spending more. We got all of our credit card and medical debt paid off this spring. One kid is out of daycare entirely, one is only doing after school care. So all in all we have a bit more disposable income than we have had before. We won't go crazy because we are trying really hard to build up our savings. But we will spend more. Actually planning a few electronics this year for the first time. We'll be getting a TV, a Xbox, a blue ray player, and a couple of kindles.

• 2 weeks later...

I told my kids (ages 13 and 18) things will be less this year. In all honesty they have everything. My daughter will get clothes she wants, perfume, makeup, etc (she is my girlie girl) and my 18 yr old son will get a gas card, cologne, car stuff , etc. They own most everything else.

13 yr old already owns: 42" tv (BF 2 yrs ago), Blu Ray player (BF last year), Ipod touch 32gb (BF a few years ago), Stereo, portable dvd player, tablet, and gaming system

18 yr old... Owns all the same. Plus we bought him a Ford Escape last year. Sooooo I don't see what they really need. So my husband and I are cutting down this year.

Plus we own 2 desktop computers and 2 laptops so each one of us owns that already too. So christmas now isn't about the "big Gifts" but what they actually need.

• 2 weeks later...
Less. The only adult I'm doing store bought for this year is my fiancé, and less than $100 instead of the usual over $200 I spend on significant others. The other adults are getting baked goods - I won't even do crafts this year because the craft supplies cost more than I expected last year. As for the kids they will be getting a little bit less than usual, about $100-$125 per kid. I am camping at Best Buy to help get better gifts with less money. Edited by DivaOfDeals

we will probably be spending less. the past few years we have done a trip over christmas or shortly after the holiday. no trip planned = less money spent this year, which i should be happy about. but, im really hoping we can plan a trip within the next few weeks!

My fiancé and I are going to Atlantic City for 3 days after Christmas. Room and meals comped because of my play last summer so just need some money to play. Want to help the economy after the hurricane as a charitable act!

Close to the same amount, but less gifts. $150 for ds #2 ($129 kindle so far), $150 for dh ($129 kindle so far), $100 for ds#1 and dil combined (Keurig bought at Kohls). We no longer buy for extended family or inlaws since the recession took away our good paying jobs. A couple of our friends I make gift baskets for. That's it.

It's been nice since ds#2 just got a job 'cause he's been buying all his own BF deals himself! I love it. Also ds is now an adult, married and working, so no big pile of gifts needed.