Official Black Friday HDTV Discussion Thread

Brad

Doing research I think I wanna stay away from Westinghouse & Samsung.

I was hoping for a 24, 26, OR 30 inch TV for my son's room, possibly with a built-in dvd player, (considering I don't want those 2 brands) do you think I can find one of those on BF or before at a great price?

I'd like to pay between 100 and 150 tops with or without the dvd....

I was hoping for a 24, 26, OR 30 inch TV for my son's room, possibly with a built-in dvd player, (considering I don't want those 2 brands) do you think I can find one of those on BF or before at a great price?

Sony has a 24 inch 3D 1080p 120hz monitor for 179.99, best deal on the market IMO. It has built in speakers and comes with one set of 3D glasses.

Sony has a 24 inch 3D 1080p 120hz monitor for 179.99, best deal on the market IMO. It has built in speakers and comes with one set of 3D glasses.

these have had poor reviews with regard to reliability. i bought one from best buy with an extended warranty for that reason. have been very happy with it. no problems despite daily use.

I know alot of people say not to get Westinghouse... I got one back in 2006 a 32inch and it runs perfectly. We have moved 1x and moved it several times inside our house. Still works great like when new. Right now its in the basement waiting to be installed on the wall. I upgraded to a 42inch 3D smartTVfor my bedroom last year so DH has taken it for his shop...

these have had poor reviews with regard to reliability. i bought one from best buy with an extended warranty for that reason. have been very happy with it. no problems despite daily use.

Didn't realize it. I bought mines at launch, and had no issues whatsoever. With that said, I'm looking at getting a 42 inch Vizio 3D in a few weeks.

I to need to get at leas a 32in tv this year and have never bought one on BF. I may just put one on layaway at walmart just so I can avoid the madness on BF. That's one item I don't want to spend my entire BF night waiting in line to get.

Best Buy's deal of the day is a 42" plasma for $290. The panel is supposed to be Samsung. It looks and sounds great and has as many inputs as I have seen on a TV. Shipping is free for those with smaller cars. Four year protection plan is $100. Return/price adjust is 30 days, so you should know what BF deals will look like in time to return this if something better comes up.

Thanks everyone for your input. I lost my paper :( with my info on it but I believe best deal I saw so far was a 22 inch w/dvd player for 178.oo but I can't recall where or the brand... Son has limited space/outlets in his room, didn't want another player there/more wires...power strips, etc.

IMO, any HDTV with DVD player is worthless as a DVD player will not capture the full effect of the HDTV. You would be better off getting a stand alone Blu-Ray refurb.

IMO, any HDTV with DVD player is worthless as a DVD player will not capture the full effect of the HDTV. You would be better off getting a stand alone Blu-Ray refurb.

I disagree. Most DVD players upconvert very nicely. I suspect the ones that come as part of an HDTV package do. Keep in mond, too, that many people already own a lot of DVDs.

I disagree. Most DVD players upconvert very nicely. I suspect the ones that come as part of an HDTV package do. Keep in mond, too, that many people already own a lot of DVDs.

I'm not talking about just up converting , I'm talking about the entire Blu-Ray expirence.

Starting Wednesday night keep an eye on websites, the past 2 years we were able to get great deals, the first year it was the same TV from another location for about $50 more and last we got the doorbuster deal online at the same location for the same price on Thursday afternoon. I would pay and extra $50 any day to not have to sit in line for 8-10 hours and then fight the crowd.

I have a 20" Sanyo (not lcd) approximately 8 years old. I am considering buying a 26" lcd but I'm wondering if 6 inches would make a difference. I would buy a larger tv but 26" is the largest my entertainment center will hold unfortunately. If the tv I have now works fine is it worth updating? What brand should I consider? What specs?

6" will make a difference as your LCD will be wide screen and not letterbox. In height, the 26" will probably be just a tad bigger than your old TV since screen size is measured on the diagonal. So if you go smaller, then your overall screen size will be smaller (or at least look that way). As far as specs, for anything under 32" all you need is 720p, as you won't see a difference between that and 1080p at that small size. Still want a 120 refresh rate.

I to need to get at leas a 32in tv this year and have never bought one on BF. I may just put one on layaway at walmart just so I can avoid the madness on BF. That's one item I don't want to spend my entire BF night waiting in line to get.

A couple of years ago Walmart had one online at 4am black friday unnanounced that was their advertised doorbuster.

I have a Olevia that I bought from Kmart on Thanksgiving day probably 5 years ago that still works great. DH has a Samsung in the man cave that has lasted 3 years so far. DD has a Sansui that santa brought her two years ago that also works great.

We too bought an Olevia at Kmart on Black Friday, 5 to 7 years ago and it is still going great. I think the company is out of business now, but we certainly feel that we have gotten our monies worth.

Walmart has a Sceptre 32" 720p hdtv for $179 in their online sales that just started. We have a 1080p Sceptre that we bought 2 years ago on BF at Newegg. Been working great. My oldest son bought one earlier this year from Menards and likes his too. However, ds #2 wants a 1080p and this is 720p. So he bought one for $225 today from Amazon.com He said he couldnt wait until BF for a new TV.

I'm not talking about just up converting , I'm talking about the entire Blu-Ray expirence.

I agree. A cheap blu-ray player (for $50) is better than upconverting (which most BD players can do also) a DVD. You can still play all of your DVDs (and upconvert) on it so you don't lose anything. Plus, you can expand your library with some high picture/sound quality movies (Star Wars & Batman come to mind ;)). I play BDs and DVDs in my player all the time (you can't get some movies and especially TV shows on BD(such as The Six Million Dollar Man, lol)).

Hello Everyone, I was wondering if anyone have heard that Kmart will have a 32in Proscan tv for $99 for Black Friday?

Did you hear this or just hoping? :)

That would be nice because I want to get 2 tvs for my kids.

Edited by StacieM99

Did you hear thus or just hoping? :)

That would be nice because I want to get 2 tvs for my kids.

Actually I have a family member that works there..and shipping & recieving was having a meeting and she slighty overheard. She wasnt sure but she thought she heard the lead telling the guys that they will be soon getting a truck but the 32in Proscan $99 tv are to be locked up in a different area for black friday.

Actually I have a family member that works there..and shipping & recieving was having a meeting and she slighty overheard. She wasnt sure but she thought she heard the lead telling the guys that they will be soon getting a truck but the 32in Proscan $99 tv are to be locked up in a different area for black friday.

Wow! That would be great! I will tell my husband so he can research it to see how good it is. Thanks for sharing!

I usually wait to hit WalMart (in chicago) until the afternoon of BF since most of the things I want aren't door busters and there are ALWAYS carts of the tv's sitting around that people either returned already or couldn't get in their cars. Even the big ones.

I'll do online for a 50 inch or bigger (really looking for 65) since we're out of town and I am NOT schlepping that thing 14 hours in a car with 3 kids.