Official Black Friday HDTV Discussion Thread

Brad

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

• 3 weeks later...

This will be my first time buying a Tv on Black Friday. I usually never shop for big electronics on BF. Is there any advice or tips anyone can give? Like stores who usually have the best deals, brands that are worth the cheap price, brands to avoids, etc.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

This will be my first time buying a Tv on Black Friday. I usually never shop for big electronics on BF. Is there any advice or tips anyone can give? Like stores who usually have the best deals, brands that are worth the cheap price, brands to avoids, etc.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

My boyfriend got a Samsung a few years back - it lasted about 2 months past it's warranty, then the screen was shot. He took it back to Best Buy (now known as "Worst Buy" to his 5 yr old). They refused to do ANYTHING for him - the guy wouldn't take 10% off the new TV purchase OR throw in free delivery. I think that the company should have done better since the TV was barely over a year old, and a $1700 purchase.

I got my Sony at Ultimate Electronics before they clsed down, so we've owned it about 3 years maybe? So far, so good. It is a model or 2 above what you get in Walmart, but not their top-of0the-line. It's got a BEAUTIFUL picture, clear, and the colors are vivid. We use it with the BluRay and everything looks gorgeous. Would recommend another.

I believe it is the Sony KDL-52V5100, but not 100% positive. It's probably not marketed any more, but I love mine and would definitely consider another model from them.

Edited by savannah79
misstated that it was 2 years old - was barely over 1 yr old.

My boyfriend got a Samsung a few years back - it lasted about 2 months past it's warranty, then the screen was shot. He took it back to Best Buy (now known as "Worst Buy" to his 5 yr old). They refused to do ANYTHING for him - the guy wouldn't take 10% off the new TV purchase OR throw in free delivery. I think that the company should have done better since the TV was barely over 2 years old, and a $1700 purchase.

I got my Sony at Ultimate Electronics before they clsed down, so we've owned it about 3 years maybe? So far, so good. It is a model or 2 above what you get in Walmart, but not their top-of0the-line. It's got a BEAUTIFUL picture, clear, and the colors are vivid. We use it with the BluRay and everything looks gorgeous. Would recommend another.

I believe it is the Sony KDL-52V5100, but not 100% positive. I'm sure it's not marketed any more, but I love mine and would definitely consider another.

Did your BF ever contact Samsung? If he didn't purchase an extended warranty with Best Buy that's who would handle it...we all take a chance anytime we purchase an electronic today; they are not built like they used to be. Now having said that we have a 42 inch Samsung Plasma that we have had for 5 years now and the picture is still as crisp and clear as the day we purchased it.

To OP, I would start researching the tv's you are interested in as soon as you see the ads. I tend to stay away from lesser known brands but that's a personal issue. Research and due diligence always win out, IMO.

BRING A CAR BIG ENOUGH TO TAKE IT HOME IN!!! You would be amazed at people trying to stuff a big TV in a Honda Civic. I am hoping to get a 55 or bigger this year myself if the price is right. Wal-Mart usually have a few more than the other stores but for the cheap ones that best buy usually have you will have to be in line early. They usually only have about 3-5 per store.

The last few years there has been some really great deals leading up to black Friday as well. Just keep a look out on the sales ads, but most importantly HERE AT GOTTADEAL - to find the one you want at the price you need.

Edited by jesusluvu
SPELLING

I was wrong in the first post - it was a little over ONE YEAR old. He did not have the extended warranty. I don't think anyone expects things to last forever, but for that price we did expect at least a few years out of it (it's not like it was an off-brand or even a base model).

He did contact Samsung. They told him he was SOL. I understand that everything is a gamble, but from our perspective, Samsung is a brand to avoid. That said, I'm happy your plasma has lasted as long as it has. I hope your good luck continues! :)

My best suggestion for you is to read all the reviews you can on whatever ones you bring your list down to. Read both the good and the bad and temper both with the knowledge that some people will spew hate just because they don't like a brand and some people will go to the opposite based on their love for a brand. I look for trends in things going wrong or right and base on that. With that said it's what I'll be doing as we want a 60"+ this year to replace the toshiba we bought on BF 6+ years ago.

I have never bought a TV on BF. I closely monitor the deals. Generally, the ordeal associated with acquiring a tv of suffcient value is not worth the discount. On that others may disagree, but it's difficult to argue with the proposition that there have been BF type discounts offered from September to December. My favorite being this one which also earned me $100 in Discover Cashback. The set still graces my living room.

My tip for you is to start shopping now. Read reviews, look at TVs, and set a budget. Watch and search the deal sites so that you know how inexpensive each of the sets on your wish list has been or can be. As soon as you see a set that meets your quality/size/features/budget criteria, buy it. Then keep watching for opportunities to return/price adjust. When the BF ads come out, compare what you have to what they offer and decide if you want to sit in line for the difference in value.

This is dated but still relevant.

I to need to get at leas a 32in tv this year and have never bought one on BF. I may just put one on layaway at walmart just so I can avoid the madness on BF. That's one item I don't want to spend my entire BF night waiting in line to get.

I to need to get at leas a 32in tv this year and have never bought one on BF. I may just put one on layaway at walmart just so I can avoid the madness on BF. That's one item I don't want to spend my entire BF night waiting in line to get.

I was at Walmart yesterday and they had several stacks of 32 inch TV stacked up on a top shelf. I don't know anything about them except they were Vizio and Emerson TVs. I really don't think they are for Black Friday since Walmart is so secrative (sp) about what they are having. I wonder if they are going to have them on sale the first day they open layaway.

Often there are just as good as BF sales before and after, might spend abit more but definitely worth it unless you are into spending time in long lines and fighting people over it. I generally find all the things I want on sale at or around that time and don't have to even leave the house. You do kinda of have to know what you want etc, alot of things are now being offered online as well as in store

I was wrong in the first post - it was a little over ONE YEAR old. He did not have the extended warranty. I don't think anyone expects things to last forever, but for that price we did expect at least a few years out of it (it's not like it was an off-brand or even a base model).

He did contact Samsung. They told him he was SOL. I understand that everything is a gamble, but from our perspective, Samsung is a brand to avoid. That said, I'm happy your plasma has lasted as long as it has. I hope your good luck continues! :)

I had a Samsung camera that went out after 2 months!!! My kids had accidentally thrown away my receipt so I lost 100 bucks! I also do not buy anything Samsung!

I want to get a new TV this year, but I think I'm better of just buying now with Football deals and stuff.

I'm looking for a higher end TV, and those aren't normally highly discounted for BF.

My top contender right now is the LG 55LM8600

Very nice TV. I've been looking at the LG 65LM6200. I want bigger and nicer than what I have right now but keep falling to the thought of my Toshiba 50" plasma works so well and has such a great picture so why replace it. :)

You may want to keep an eye on Best Buy's deal of the day. I got a 42" rca plasma for $300. It seems to go on sale once a month.

I would suggest buying large televisions on Amazon. I bought my Sharp 60" on Amazon last year. They deliver it free to your living room and have free return shipping. They also match prices. You aren't going to find the super low bargain no name tv's on Amazon, but anything name brand they most likely will have and will match the price of a b&m store if they post it online. You also can see the awesome Amazon user reviews!

As others have suggested, research now and determine what type of tv you are wanting (size, led/lcd/plasma, 720 or 1080, and brand reliability). We have purchased two Black Friday tvs and have not had any problems. One brand we researched and stayed away from is Westinghouse.

We purchased one of our tvs from Staples....it was a doorbuster so to speak so the manager had coupons he handed out before the store opened. We were first in line so we were able to get one but they normally have coupons for the exact number they have in stock and once they are gone they are gone.

Last year we purchased a tv at Walmart. It was a bit crazy but when we arrived (before the Black Friday sale started) we were directed to an area where we could obtain ticket. It was kind of nice because we were allowed to go and shop. We were instructed to return to the area at the start of the sale.

I cannot stress having a vehicle big enough to take your purchase home in!! At Walmart, there were so many people trying to strap large tv boxes to the roof of their cars....it was unreal!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the 46" Apex at Target, looks great. I am waiting to buy next tv when I can get a good sized 3d TV without needing glasses, if I can hold out that long. They are coming.

A Glass free 3D TV will retail about 10 Grand for 40 inches once released in the next 4 or 5 years, so get that thought out of your head right now.

Anyways, as far as HDTVs and quality is concerned, I would stay away from the black Friday bargain basement deals and focus on what I can find on Amazon or places like that.

A Glass free 3D TV will retail about 10 Grand for 40 inches once released in the next 4 or 5 years, so get that thought out of your head right now.

Anyways, as far as HDTVs and quality is concerned, I would stay away from the black Friday bargain basement deals and focus on what I can find on Amazon or places like that.

Available now. For the low, low price of $11 grand. In the UK. They call it 4k Resolution.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/plasma-and-lcd-tvs/toshiba-55zl2-1080745/review

In 4-5 years the technology should become affordable. Also, in 4-5 years, the next thing will be on the horizon.

Available now. For the low, low price of $11 grand. In the UK. They call it 4k Resolution.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/plasma-and-lcd-tvs/toshiba-55zl2-1080745/review

In 4-5 years the technology should become affordable. Also, in 4-5 years, the next thing will be on the horizon.

You are 100% correct, I have been keeping an eye on it. I am as good as I need to be right now, I am skipping the glasses needed 3d, next step glassesless. I normally hold out a while, sometimes skipping a trend or two on TV's. I skipped the move from curved tube TV to flat screen tube TVs, went right to flat panel HDTV. I can wait 4 year or so...I think.

Hubby and I are looking to replace the living room tv with a bigger one and move this one into the kids' playroom to replace their older tv. Our question is, are we better off waiting for the after-Christmas Superbowl tv sales or should I start keeping an eye out for the BF tv sales? I've never paid attention to the football sales so I'm not sure how comparable they are. I don't want to spend my BF fighting for a tv if I can just go out after Xmas and get a good deal on one. And we know we want a 1080p.