Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread

Brad

Spend a little more money and get something good, atom processor is not very good. What are you looking to do on this laptop your looking for?

This would be a first laptop for my 10 year old DD. She goes on the internet, uses Word and PowerPoint, and views clips on Youtube. I don't want to spend a ton on my a laptop for my 10 year old, though.

I need a laptop for my DH who will do basic word/excel web browsing on it. The one requirement we have is that it runs Windows 7 (not 8). He's not ready to upgrade, and I'm the tech support if we did :(

Any suggestions - we were looking at Walmart, but are thinking Micro Center too.

I'm in the same boat. Just don't feel that Windows 8 on a non-touchscreen device is a good deal? Anyone else had any experience using Windows 8 on a standars laptop?

I'm thinking we may have better luck findijg a nin-BF Windows 7 laptop at a decent price. I'm even considering a refurb. Any thoughts on this?

I know 2 people who have windows on a non touch screen and LOVE it.

I'm in the same boat. Just don't feel that Windows 8 on a non-touchscreen device is a good deal? Anyone else had any experience using Windows 8 on a standars laptop?

I'm thinking we may have better luck findijg a nin-BF Windows 7 laptop at a decent price. I'm even considering a refurb. Any thoughts on this?

I'll vouch for the quality of Toshiba laptops, as I work from home and usually do so next to my very wild toddler. For example, he likes to hit golf balls off the back of the laptop...he also punches the keys to try to get me to "stop". It's been hit several times with small footballs - works great, no cracks in the screen. Only issue right now is that it makes this popping noise if I open and close it, but it does open and close, and I've had it for 2 1/2 years now, and type probably 60 hrs/wk on it for work.

Just my 2 cents :) Hate HP computers and laptops, btw, so I share some sentiments on here.

I have to be honest. My first Toshiba was OK except for the fact that I literally went through battery chargers 1 per month (cheap ebay ones). A lot of that was the user lol. That was back in 2005. I bought another in 2009 (which I am currently using today). It has been ok. Vista was absolutely terrible on it for some reason. I literally had to reformat it once a month for 4 months until I got the windows 7 upgrade disc. For some reason it would just lock up and not work cause Vista was just bad. I tried taking it back to Best Buy multiple times and they would not refund my money or exchange it cause I could not duplicate the problem in front of them (the main reason why I hate buying anything from that terrible corporation). I haven't had a problem since, well, until about 3 months ago. Some of my keys don't work anymore. I imagine the motherboard is slowly going out. I have to use a usb keyboard now. I will admit, this computer has taken a beating, but keeps on ticking. It is pretty much my deciding factor in getting another.

I plan on buying another Toshiba from staples on Black Friday. I'm going to hope that it doesn't mess up like it did with Vista.

Edited by FatRocky
added content

I'll warn you now, Windows 8 requires a good processor (dual core at the very very very least) and at least 4gb ram imo. In my opinion, Windows 8 on most cheap black Friday Laptops is going to be a disaster within 6 months.

Per Microsoft...

•Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)

•RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

•Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

•Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

I agree that Win8 is designed for touch, but I am using it on a desktop right now and it's fine with a mouse. You can even pop up a DOS windows by holding down the windows key, pressing r, typing cmd, and pressint enter ;)

Per Microsoft...

•Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)

•RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

•Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

•Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

Minimum hardware requirements for software functionality rarely equals a pleasant computing experience. That's why a dual core processor and 4GB of memory should be the basement considered for any version of Windows since XP.

Minimum hardware requirements for software functionality rarely equals a pleasant computing experience. That's why a dual core processor and 4GB of memory should be the basement considered for any version of Windows since XP.

I just installed Windows 8 over the weekend on an Acer Extensa 4420 laptop which is 4 years old (has a dual-core AMD processor and only 2 GB of RAM) and it runs very well. I can tell I love the new interface and you can always jump to the Windows7 style desktop if needed to run an application there. I can't be happier since upgrading this machine to Windows 8.

Could I get someones thoughts on this laptop? DELL Inspiron 15R (i15R-2105sLV) Intel Core i5 3210M(2.50GHz) 15.6" 8GB Memory 1TB HDD Intel HD Graphics 4000 Notebook. It's being

sold at Newegg.

Seems to be a good price (orig. $699.99) down to $479.99. I'm looking for a laptop for my 12 year old son. Thanks, Rana

The i15R-2105sLV is a great laptop, but what I said in the desktop thread applies more with a laptop since you cannot upgrade the gpu -- if you are going to play games, you will find the trinity chips are a better choice.

This lappy from the Staples BF ad for $400 might be a better choice assuming the 17" screen is not too much...

Item: 100375

Model: B5Z58UA#ABA

HP Pavilion g7-2243us offers way more than just fun and games!

The HP Pavilion g7 gives you everything you need to keep in touch, get it done, and have some fun, all in a distinctive design.

•Next Gen AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated 1.9GHz up to 2.8GHz 4MB L2 Cache Processor

•6GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory

•500GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

•17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit display (1600 x 900)

•Windows 8

15" at Target - Gateway 15.6" Laptop w/ AMD A8 Quad Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD (NV52L15U) $349.00

So, my brother just asked me last night if I wanted to go in and get my Dad a laptop for Christmas. Right now he just has a very old desktop (so very slow). He is not techie and would use it mainly for e-mail, web and printing his suduko puzzle everyday. With that being said we also don't want a cheap $200 laptop. So, I've been looking at all the laptops but I am not very techie either. Don't want to even try Best Buy. Was looking at the HP Pavilion at Sams Club for $399. i5, 6GB/500GB,14". Does this look like a decent laptop? Doesn't look like it has a CD/DVD Drive though (not sure how important that would be for him though). Any other ideas would be great - looking for something under $500. Thanks.

Was looking at the HP Pavilion at Sams Club for $399. i5, 6GB/500GB,14". Does this look like a decent laptop? Doesn't look like it has a CD/DVD Drive though (not sure how important that would be for him though).

We bought my mom a netbook last year without a CD/DVD drive and it has turned out to be a PAIN! We won't do that again. :)

So, my brother just asked me last night if I wanted to go in and get my Dad a laptop for Christmas. Right now he just has a very old desktop (so very slow). He is not techie and would use it mainly for e-mail, web and printing his suduko puzzle everyday. With that being said we also don't want a cheap $200 laptop. So, I've been looking at all the laptops but I am not very techie either. Don't want to even try Best Buy. Was looking at the HP Pavilion at Sams Club for $399. i5, 6GB/500GB,14". Does this look like a decent laptop? Doesn't look like it has a CD/DVD Drive though (not sure how important that would be for him though). Any other ideas would be great - looking for something under $500. Thanks.

How are dad's eyes? Will he be using this on the run or are you looking for a 'portable desktop'? For old farts like me, this may be more fun...

Staples: HP 17.3" Laptop w/ AMD A8 Quad-Core, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD (G7-2243US) $399.99

How are dad's eyes? Will he be using this on the run or are you looking for a 'portable desktop'? For old farts like me, this may be more fun...

Staples: HP 17.3" Laptop w/ AMD A8 Quad-Core, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD (G7-2243US) $399.99

His eyes are pretty good. He will just be using it at home in place of the desktop. I'm sure he won't be bringing it anywhere.

Mine is. I don't think that will be the most popular doorbuster. It's kind of big and heavy to lug around. The kids seem to like the 14" models. Most people lean towards intel. Of the laptops on the cover of the ad, I think this is the only one that doesn't have an 'at least x per store' note. Either they have a lot of these or than have none. We can figure that out Friday afternoon, I guess.

Ok...so they have revealed the price for the Thanksgiving Day Toshiba Laptop. Its $399 and the bundle on the front is $349. Between the two, which is the better laptop? Not Better price (because the "bundle" stuff is stuff I really dont need), but the superior laptop. I know the Toshiba is bigger and 3 gen, but what else am I missing and is it anything I need to be concerned about? I need a laptop for Facebook games like FV, TSS and MW. It will also be used for ToonTown and other type of online games. Any help or input is greatly appreciated! :)

Just curious -- who is they?

Sorry...lol...BestBuy.

Samsung:

https://blackfriday.bestbuy.com/door+busters/product/6814789_6851307_5888151_664/156quot+laptop++4gb+memory++500gb+hard+drive

Toshiba:

https://blackfriday.bestbuy.com/online+only+deals/product/6952832/toshiba++satellite+173quot+laptop++4gb+memory++500gb+hard+drive++satin+black

I am trying to decide on a laptop that is under $400 and is NOT an HP. I want to be sure that I wouldnt be getting a ratty laptop if I got the Samsung one. Or should I just jump on the Toshiba one. Or even neither for that matter.

I prefer the Toshiba. Its a 3rd gen i3. Samsung is a 2nd gen i3. I have a Samsung purchased 2 years ago and I feel taht Toshiba makes a better product. I am comparing my Samsung to DH and DD Toshibas.

Sorry...lol...BestBuy.

Samsung:

https://blackfriday.bestbuy.com/door+busters/product/6814789_6851307_5888151_664/156quot+laptop++4gb+memory++500gb+hard+drive

Toshiba:

https://blackfriday.bestbuy.com/online+only+deals/product/6952832/toshiba++satellite+173quot+laptop++4gb+memory++500gb+hard+drive++satin+black

I am trying to decide on a laptop that is under $400 and is NOT an HP. I want to be sure that I wouldnt be getting a ratty laptop if I got the Samsung one. Or should I just jump on the Toshiba one. Or even neither for that matter.

I like the toshiba too, but, other than price -- maybe including price -- the biggest difference between the two is the screen size. Besides giving you more to look at, the toshiba's bigger screen will make the computer heavier and reduce battery life. If you are going to use the laptop as a 'portable desktop' the bigger screen will be a plus, but if you plan to balance the laptop on your knees in the park, the 15" might be easier to handle and will likely hold a charge longer.

I prefer the Toshiba. Its a 3rd gen i3. Samsung is a 2nd gen i3. I have a Samsung purchased 2 years ago and I feel taht Toshiba makes a better product. I am comparing my Samsung to DH and DD Toshibas.

I do think so too. I just feel like the Toshiba is a lil more trust worthy and may be built a bit more solid.

I like the toshiba too, but, other than price -- maybe including price -- the biggest difference between the two is the screen size. Besides giving you more to look at, the toshiba's bigger screen will make the computer heavier and reduce battery life. If you are going to use the laptop as a 'portable desktop' the bigger screen will be a plus, but if you plan to balance the laptop on your knees in the park, the 15" might be easier to handle and will likely hold a charge longer.

AH....I had not thought about the screen size eating up your battery. I was looking for something more around 15" and not even really caring about the fact that its 17".

The chip in the Toshiba benchmarks ever so slightly better than the Samsung at 2930 compared to 2886, so you really can't go wrong with either one.

Yeah I am kinda coming to that same conclusion. That they BOTH may just be ok value laptops. I have a laptop that I got from BF a 5 years ago for $399 and its still kicking. It just seems that the laptops this year are a little more stripped down than in years past. But IDK....

Thanks all...I am still undecided, but you all have given me something to think about.

Looking at their webpage, nearly everything is on a clearance or listed as Online Only. I'm wondering which laptops are actually in store that would qualify for the coupon.

I am wondering the same thing... Last time I went into the store all laptops were marked with a sale price. Only the really high end ($700 and above) were not marked down

Looking at their webpage, nearly everything is on a clearance or listed as Online Only. I'm wondering which laptops are actually in store that would qualify for the coupon.