Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread

Brad

The only thing my 11 year old daughter requested this year was her own laptop. She uses my husbands old one. She wants a pink one. Can anyone direct me to any of the stores that might have a pink laptop? Specs don't have to be great as she is only 11 and she doesn't play games on it. Mostly just goes to youtube for videos and such. Thank you so much.

Bestbuy has an Asus in pink on the last page of the ad. It will be $249.99.

Thanks for responding.

I am leaning towards the 15.6 inch screen since the memory is more. I am really nervous about getting another HP I have had 2 in this house and both have not lasted 2 years. We got DS a really GOOD laptop a few years ago, it was $1,000 clearanced to $700 because HP had changed the keyboard color. The motherboard went on it the September before it was 2 years old. We got it the beginning of November. The 2nd one was for me, I got on BF (not a doorbuster) and it also did not last 2 years, first my speakers went (I rarely used them to begin with) then the motherboard went also right around the 22 month mark. This time I plan of getting a SquareTrade warranty which will mean that nothing will happen with it and it will last a long time :tongue1:

We have had 3 HPs (2 laptops and 1 desktop) and all three had issues that started before the two year mark. I will NOT buy another HP! I have a DELL over here that is over 8 years old and the only issue it has is that its slow. In fact...when my desktop HP broke down we used the DELL as a back up. I am looking for a deal on just about anything but an HP. I am really liking that Toshiba from the Staples you posted...hmmmm....

That is my problem too. That famous 2 year mark is when they seem to go. I plan on getting a squaretrade warranty for whichever laptop I get. I went to Staples and mine has 6 in back but none on display they are specific for BF. The difference in price of the HP Envy at BB to the Toshiba is the price for the Squaretrade warranty with the 40% off coupon so that is the only reason I would get the HP. It has a more memory and bigger HD but is an i5. I went to look at it and it seems flimsy. The screen is very thin and one guy at BB said people return it because of how it feels. They both can be upgraded I think to 16gb. Just wish the Toshiba had a bigger HD I do use an external for my pictures.

We have had 3 HPs (2 laptops and 1 desktop) and all three had issues that started before the two year mark. I will NOT buy another HP! I have a DELL over here that is over 8 years old and the only issue it has is that its slow. In fact...when my desktop HP broke down we used the DELL as a back up. I am looking for a deal on just about anything but an HP. I am really liking that Toshiba from the Staples you posted...hmmmm....

The only thing my 11 year old daughter requested this year was her own laptop. She uses my husbands old one. She wants a pink one. Can anyone direct me to any of the stores that might have a pink laptop? Specs don't have to be great as she is only 11 and she doesn't play games on it. Mostly just goes to youtube for videos and such. Thank you so much.

Best Buy has a pink Asus. Current price is $312.99 it appears. SKU is 5732476.

Not sure if the link will work, but here it is: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus---14%26%2334%3B-Laptop---4GB-Memory---320GB-Hard-Drive---Matte-Pink/5732476.p?id=1218688220484&skuId=5732476

It's in the black friday ad as well for $249.99

Thanks so much! Just saw that. Will keep my eye out for that one. I have always bought Dell...Are Asus's okay? She is only 11 so she doesn't need much.

Asus it the most reliable laptop brand, I think. They are in the top for sure. :gdthums:

I tend to stay away from HP/Compaq. At work we have nothing but problems with HP as well.

Lenovo in another very reliable brand.

will those be ok for just surfing the net? what about playing games........nothing major just kids' games with Flash on Disney and Nick Jr. type websites.

Yes, they should be sufficient for surfing and some basic kids games.

I would recommend the Lenovo with the AMD E-300 dual core processor over the Compaq with the (slower) dual core AMD C-60.

The AMD E-300 will also have significantly better integrated Radeon HD 6310 graphics.

:holiday04

Edited by RedDevil

I'm thinking about getting the ultrabook laptop for $299. No one really has been talking about it but it seems like a good deal. I looked at a similar one in walmart and it seems nice. I'm really wanting something online b/c i don't feel like standing in line for 10 hours.

Where is this one at?

Thx,

Jenn

I'll vouch for the quality of Toshiba laptops, as I work from home and usually do so next to my very wild toddler. For example, he likes to hit golf balls off the back of the laptop...he also punches the keys to try to get me to "stop". It's been hit several times with small footballs - works great, no cracks in the screen. Only issue right now is that it makes this popping noise if I open and close it, but it does open and close, and I've had it for 2 1/2 years now, and type probably 60 hrs/wk on it for work.

Just my 2 cents :) Hate HP computers and laptops, btw, so I share some sentiments on here.

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for a Laptop for my son (9 years old). Need atleast 8gb memory, >500gb hdd. He mostly uses it for online games, Could someone suggest a good brand in sale for black friday? Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Brian

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for a Laptop for my son (9 years old). Need atleast 8gb memory, >500gb hdd. He mostly uses it for online games, Could someone suggest a good brand in sale for black friday? Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Brian

To be honest getting 8 GB of ram in a laptop for a 9 yr is overkill! No game requires that much ram esp online based ones. If you do need the ram get the best cpu/gpu in the price range you want to spend. Then buy the 8 GB of ram later from Newegg or Amazon. It would be a lot cheaper to go that route.

Brian, laptops are vulnerable to every malady that can befall a computer -- even when cared for by an adult. Generally, I try to spend as little as possible on a machine that will get the job done. Another thing to consider is upgrades. These days, it's easy to upgrade a laptop's RAM or disk, but it is virtually impossible to upgrade the CPU, screen, and video controller.

Two laptops at Staples interest me. The $300 HP Pavilion Sleekbook 14 would be great for a kid. It's inexpensive enough that you won't feel bad when it breaks or is stolen and the specs are sufficient for the kind of activities most people are interested in...

Item: 100374

Model: C6N76UA#ABA

HP Pavilion Sleekbook 14 is perfect for everyday everything!

Meet the everyday notebook that’s anything but ordinary. Get exclusive innovations like HP CoolSense to keep you comfortable and HP ProtectSmart which helps keep your data safe from bumps. Enjoy long battery life or swap it out to keep playing without recharging. At less than an inch thin and under four pounds, the HP Pavilion Sleekbook 14 is perfect for life on the go.

•Intel® Pentium® B987 1.5GHz 2MB L3 Cache Processor

•4GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory, Expandable to 8GB

•320GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

•14.0-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit display (1366 x 768)

•Windows 8

I also like the $400 HP Pavilion g7-2243us. Here you have a good screen, good cpu, and good gpu with less disk and RAM than you'd like. Upgrade the RAM and install a SSD for cooler, faster operation.

It would be helpful to know where you will likely shop on BF.

PS Laptops are about to change dramatically. Touch screens, twist screens, docking stations (for tablets), and Windows 8 will dramatically change the way we compute on the run. Keep your powder dry for the laptop computer you've been waiting for all your life!

Edited by len_mullen
one more thought

I'm really not seeing anything that looks that great. Am I just missing something? My wife got the Lenovo Z580 (3rd gen i5-3210m, 8gigs, 750g HDD, 15" screen, etc) from Staples a few months back for $400 and I was looking for something smilar. I don't see anything that even comes close to that. I do see an HP at best Buy that has nearly the exact same specs for $500.

Was the previous deal relaly that amazing or do the BF laptop deal just suck?

Thank you! Then what about 4gb/500gb combo? Do we have any good deals for those on BF?

Brian

Ill give a few recommendations, All these laptop will fit your kids needs for light gaming, web surfing etc.:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-A53Z-AS61-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Mocha/dp/B007MW13PA/

$399.99 with free shipping available now!

AMD A6 3420M 1.5GHz Quad Core cpu

Display 15.6" (1366 x 768)

4 GB RAM

750GB 5400rpm Hard Drive

15.6-Inch LED Screen, ATI HD 6520G Graphics

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, includes a DVD/RW Burner, integrated webcam and microphone, USB 3.0 port

https://blackfriday.bestbuy.com/door+busters/product/6814789_6851307_5888151_664/156quot+laptop++4gb+memory++500gb+hard+drive

$349.95

Intel® 2nd Generation Core™ i3 2.4GHz

6-cell lithium-ion

Display 15.6" (1366 x 768)

4 GB RAM

Hard Drive 500 GB (5400 rpm)

Optical DriveDouble-layer DVD±RW

Comes with wireless mouse, usb drive etc.

If you have 400.00 to spend I believe the Asus is the best all around laptop for your needs. The AMD quad core cpu fast enough for everyday tasks and the gpu is better then any Intel gpu. Good for light gaming!

Best Buy has a pink Asus. Current price is $312.99 it appears. SKU is 5732476.

Not sure if the link will work, but here it is: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus---14%26%2334%3B-Laptop---4GB-Memory---320GB-Hard-Drive---Matte-Pink/5732476.p?id=1218688220484&skuId=5732476

It's in the black friday ad as well for $249.99

Yes, it is an Pink Asus, but the Black Friday model has Windows 8 on it. So I believe that is a whole new model

I'm not sure how to post, so I hope someone can help me with a question about laptops.

I have a Senior in high school that would like me to buy her a laptop for next year - college, but I am at a loss as to what she would need and how much it would cost. I do have a limit, so I am hoping someone steer me in a direction that I can afford and she can get some good use of. I only know that she uses her sisters for video viewing when they are on facebook and utube, and they download from camera/camcorder, they like to make movies.

So I think I would need something that has CD/DVD capabilities. I have been told that Intel is the best processor, just not sure about any of the others out there.

So can someone tell me what would be a good starter laptop for her, trying to stay under 400 but if I have to will go to 500, of course it will be for graduation too then. LOL

Trying to get this on BF if I can.

Thank you

First thing you should do is contact the college. They may have specific requirements for specific programs or offer discounts, support, and software bundles for students. My kid's collect offers preconfigured macs and windows laptops that include software bundles for each major and a support plan that includes a loaner laptop. They also publish software and hardware requirements and recommendations for each major.

Friends don't let friends buy Celerons

Actually that's not true nowadays. Celerons are good budget cpu's, They have been deceit for at least the last 2 years. They are not that crap they used to be during the P4 days. There are certainly adequate for everyday use.

It has 2GB of RAM which is not enough IMHO.

I'd never let the purchase of a laptop be decided upon the amount of memory already installed nor how large the hard drive is----the two most easily upgraded components in a laptop. Heck, a 2GB stick of DDR3 SO-DIMM runs $10 and a 4GB stick is under $20. Cheap, cheap upgrade.

Personally, what I'd do with almost any of these el-cheapo laptops is upgrade the hard drive to an SSD almost immediately. Outside of having 4GB of memory, an SSD is probably the single most worthwhile upgrade one can do to any of these laptops. And with the prices dropping almost daily on SSD's, such as the recent Samsung 830 128GB SSD for $70, it's getting to the point not buying an SSD for a laptop becomes silly.

I upgraded my father-in-law's Lenovo T61 laptop last year with an SSD and revived its usefulness. Before it had the SSD installed, its C2D, while faster than the AMD e-300/350/450 cpus, was dog slow. With the SSD, it's darned snappy now.