Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

We are getting our boys smart phones for Christmas this year. They've never really had their own phone. They are 14 and will be 15 in March. So, I think they are old enough now. We are buying them their minutes for the first 3-4 months. After this, they will be responsible for their own. We will probably get them minutes for their birthday and they will probably ask family to give them money or minute cards.

I really doubt that they are getting the 3 year old an iphone..lol. They are probably getting him an ipod or ipad.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good keyboard for an ipad? The kids got Ipads to use from the school this year. Since they aren't ours I don't want to spend a lot; at the same time I will have kid(s) in the school system for the next umpteen years....Thanks!

My 4 and 5 year olds both want a kindle fire for Christmas. I think they might be a little young and I am leaning towards the new tabeo from Toys r us. Any input or ideas which is better for their ages would be appreciated.

That may be young. If you feel it is not though, since the Nexus 7 tablets are out as well as the new Kindle HD's, maybe buy them a used Kindle Fire first edition and a good paded cover for it?

My 4 and 5 year olds both want a kindle fire for Christmas. I think they might be a little young and I am leaning towards the new tabeo from Toys r us. Any input or ideas which is better for their ages would be appreciated.

I think it's a little young too. What about the kid "tablets" like the Innotab or the LeapPad tablet?

Have you looked into the Nabi2 tablet? It is alittle more than the new tabeo from Toysrus but I think the specs are a little better and it has really great reviews.

Don't see me spending $200 for a nabi when I can get a Nexus 7 for the same price. The Nexus is the most powerful tab at the price point. Also the Nexus has an open OS so it's easy to root and make changes. Get a $15 gummy case and you can drop it all day long just like the Nabi. I like the NExus better than the Fire because of the Play Store. You can not use Play store on the Fire but you can use the Amazon apps on Nexus. Nexus wins hands down!

Don't see me spending $200 for a nabi when I can get a Nexus 7 for the same price. The Nexus is the most powerful tab at the price point. Also the Nexus has an open OS so it's easy to root and make changes. Get a $15 gummy case and you can drop it all day long just like the Nabi. I like the NExus better than the Fire because of the Play Store. You can not use Play store on the Fire but you can use the Amazon apps on Nexus. Nexus wins hands down!

The Fire can definitely be used with the Play Store, you just have to load the store onto the device. It comes preloaded with an Amazon version of the Play Store, but you just have to download a new launcher ap and install the full version of the Play Store. You also get a free month of Prime with your new Fire...free shipping and movies, etc. for a month!

It's not that simple. You have to sideload it and it's harder than it sounds. We stick with amazon at our house. YOu don't get the free month of Prime if you have ever had it before. We have 2 kindles in our house , but had prime the year before with my free prime trial, we got nothing, it's only for new prime members. I still stick with amazon and am getting my daughter a kindle this year.

The Fire can definitely be used with the Play Store, you just have to load the store onto the device. It comes preloaded with an Amazon version of the Play Store, but you just have to download a new launcher ap and install the full version of the Play Store. You also get a free month of Prime with your new Fire...free shipping and movies, etc. for a month!

I'll throw another log on the fire...how about the Microsoft Surface? I know most of these discussions are about getting tablets for kids, but adults might like something better to compete against the iPad. I'm hearing good things about the Surface which comes out in two weeks (btw, it is a touch devices (the keyboard is optional to use)). I'm interested, but will wait a little to see how it does. Prices are yet to be announced but should be slightly under the iPads price.

Surface

http://www.microsoft.com/global/surface/en/us/publishingimages/new/gallery_1_large.jpg

I know for sure we are already getting 2 Surfaces. Probably an RT and a Pro, possibly 2 RTs. We have had Windows Phones since they came out, so we are used to the interface.

Other companies are also making the Windows 8 tablets. Lenovo has already announced their price for their Pro tablet, $799 I believe. The RT tablets will be cheaper. Those will be priced more along the lines of other higher-end 10 in tablets probably. Not like the $199 smaller ones though. (Small chance we will get one in another brand, but very unlikely.)

The RT tablets will be like the tablets we know and love, with just the tablet-y interface. The Pro tablets will have a more powerful processor in them, and will also have a desktop mode, which will allow you to use it like a laptop. So for whenever it's been said that a tablet isn't necessarily a laptop replacement, this one could be. Of course they are priced accordingly.

Edited by bluebear

My dad mentioned that he would like an ipad. I really don't think he cares about brand he just wants a tablet. He would want to read, play games, watch movies, surf the web and maybe use it for pictures and sermon notes. He is 71 but does pretty good on his laptop. I would want something to be very user friendly and last. My cousin recommended the Nexus 7. What would you get him?? Budget can go up to $500. My brother and my aunt are helping to get it. We would rather get him one thing he wants than a bunch of stuff he may use but is not excited about getting or would get himself. He would not buy himself a tablet.

Also what does he have to have to run the tablet and enjoy it when he travels?

There is no NEW 160 kindle fire. The old one is now 150, but the new ones start at 199. You wont find them on sale from amazon and I would never buy a kindle from anyone else. The tax alone negates any sale price

Any chance the new $160 Kindle Fires will be on dale BF? I need two. Even if its just with a gift card. Is Best Buy the only B&M store to carry the Fire anymore?

There is no NEW 160 kindle fire. The old one is now 150, but the new ones start at 199. You wont find them on sale from amazon and I would never buy a kindle from anyone else. The tax alone negates any sale price

No the new Kindle Fire 2 is $159, the new Kindle Fire HD is $199. I live in NH so I don't worry about tax.

My dad mentioned that he would like an ipad. I really don't think he cares about brand he just wants a tablet. He would want to read, play games, watch movies, surf the web and maybe use it for pictures and sermon notes. He is 71 but does pretty good on his laptop. I would want something to be very user friendly and last. My cousin recommended the Nexus 7. What would you get him?? Budget can go up to $500. My brother and my aunt are helping to get it. We would rather get him one thing he wants than a bunch of stuff he may use but is not excited about getting or would get himself. He would not buy himself a tablet.

Also what does he have to have to run the tablet and enjoy it when he travels?

For the money you have to spend you can go with one of the higher end tablets like the Asus. Last year we got our two kids the the Asus Transformer and the Acer Iconia A500. Both were onsale BF Asus for $249 and Acer $199. DS has they docking keyboard for his Asus. I am hoping there will be similar on sale this BF

To travel he will just neef wifi wherever g e is to get online.

Can you play minecraft on the Fire? My kids are obsessed and i want to get them away from my phone/ipad. :) They like to download with their friends... i think its hilarious that they are playing virtual legos but they think it is wicked awesome. ha

Can you play minecraft on the Fire? My kids are obsessed and i want to get them away from my phone/ipad. :) They like to download with their friends... i think its hilarious that they are playing virtual legos but they think it is wicked awesome. ha

Omg my kids are obsessed too! I think it looks like Atari but they think its so cool. Lol. They have a few apps downloaded on their iPods so I'd like to know if you can get it on the Fire too cuz I was going to get both of them Fires.

Edit: Looks like you can get the Minecraft Pocket Edition though the Amazon App Store.

Edited by Jen8112

Its not new. Its last years model with a reduced price. Im on the amazon kindle forums every day. Same kindle with a little upgraded processor. Nothing else about it is new. Same operating system as the one sold last month

No the new Kindle Fire 2 is $159, the new Kindle Fire HD is $199. I live in NH so I don't worry about tax.

Its not new. Its last years model with a reduced price. Im on the amazon kindle forums every day. Same kindle with a little upgraded processor. Nothing else about it is new. Same operating system as the one sold last month

Right. It has an upgrades processor so it's new. I have the same os on my iPhone 4S as the iPhone 5 but the 5 is the new one.

Omg my kids are obsessed too! I think it looks like Atari but they think its so cool. Lol. They have a few apps downloaded on their iPods so I'd like to know if you can get it on the Fire too cuz I was going to get both of them Fires.

Edit: Looks like you can get the Minecraft Pocket Edition though the Amazon App Store.

Where did you find the minecraft app at?? My kids are so obsessed with this game, but I want to get them kindle fires for Christmas! I searched the apps for the fire and couldn't find it!

Whatever, even amazon says it's not a new fire, but you can call it a new one if you want. The new iPhone 5 is considered a new model, the kindle fire is not . it is still just the first version kindle fire with a reduced price. It has no options like the HD does.

Whatever it doesn't matter.

Where did you find the minecraft app at?? My kids are so obsessed with this game, but I want to get them kindle fires for Christmas! I searched the apps for the fire and couldn't find it!

I just Googled "Minecraft app for Fire" and I got a couple articles from Sept that said "Minecraft pocket edition now available for the Kindle Fire". I can check the Amazon App Store on my husbands phone when he gets home. I asked my son and he said he can play with online people people on the Pocket Edition too.