Anyone doing a "4 Gift Holiday" this year?

amberjobryant

Is anyone else thinking of doing this with thier kids this year??? We are trying to get on a tighter budget than in years past so at the inspiration of others I am asking my kids for a list with the following things:

Something they want, something they need, something they will wear and something they will read. Santa will supply the want plus a stocking and we will get the other three....thoughts or comments???

I won't be going overboard at all this Christmas, mine are almost grown and last year got 1 thing plus a stocking and some cash from the income tax return after Christmas, will probably be the same again this year..... Been a rough year or so for us....

I usually really stress over Christmas. The only times our kids get things is for Birthday/Christmas so I always tend to go overboard. We probably won't do 4 gifts only, but each of them will have one big gift and then several smaller gifts. I am going to put their big gifts on layaway and then we will get them several smaller things to go with it. The smaller gifts will probably be from BF sales.

I usually really stress over Christmas. The only times our kids get things is for Birthday/Christmas so I always tend to go overboard. We probably won't do 4 gifts only, but each of them will have one big gift and then several smaller gifts. I am going to put their big gifts on layaway and then we will get them several smaller things to go with it. The smaller gifts will probably be from BF sales.

This is me down to a T...everything you mentioned. I'm not gonna stress over it, I'm gonna actually enjoy the entire holiday season! Not saying that I don't, but I will def be stressing less.

This is me down to a T...everything you mentioned. I'm not gonna stress over it, I'm gonna actually enjoy the entire holiday season! Not saying that I don't, but I will def be stressing less.

I absolutely love Christmas! Our kids are Homeschooling this year, so I am planning on doing lots of baking, decorating, and arts/crafts for Christmas this year. I want to really enjoy the Christmas season this year without worrying about if the kids will have everything I want to get them for Christmas...

That's an interesting thought, but i'm not sure I could quite do it. I like buying things for people. I do agree with having a guide of some sort though.

I have always gone overboard, but usually with sale items, so really haven't spent too much money. But as the kids get older, that gets harder as I can't just buy random stuff.

I did do much better scaling down gifts last year, although still spent too much money. And it made me sad not seeing so many gifts for them. Especially from Santa, they had their one big thing, and an accessory for it, and that was all. But I guess it will be the same this year, hoping we can pull that much off. Kids were okay last year, they got what they wanted, they don't ask for/need a lot. The boys each want a surface and a new Windows 8 phone, and daughter wants a laptop and phone this year, and they will all be happy.

Good luck OP, and anyone else hoping to scale back! Let us know how it goes.

And that's the thing....they say what they want, I get it, but then I also get everything "I" want then to have.

That's how I am too..lol. That's why I need to just chill this year. The boys are 14 and don't ask for much. They said they want a phone and a basketball goal. I asked them if they might want a tablet. But I am just going to check into getting them a smart phone through straightalk (if it even compares to a tablet..not sure). Then, we will probably get the boys some fishing stuff (that is something that they do every weekend and I know that they would love us to restock their tackle box!)

My daughter has been begging for a tablet also. She is 6, but I am going to get her the Nabi 2. Then I will get her a game or two for her DS (that are on sale during the Christmas season) and a few more things.

We have always done 3 things that they want and one of them can be a big thing such as an Ipod, Ipad or laptop and then 2 other things. Then I get all of them new clothes from Hollister, American Eagle and A&F, we always end up getting them more things as we pick those up during the year, but the lists are made in June and given to me at the end of June and then I start doing 1 kid every other week, ours are older 20, 18, 17, 14 and 12 and there are also 5 birthdays in December and January so this is what works for us. I also don't stress over getting gifts for others, as I usually pick those up all year long during Free Shutterfly photo book promotions, Bath & Body Works B3G3 free sales and Target toy clearance so other people are always done at the beginning of the year. Each January I start fresh with a new Christmas list that lists everybody we give gifts to and then an idea of what to get them, a place for the actual gift and a done/or not done column, it works to keep me on track as I open it about once a month and say ok, I can afford to get this person and that person this month. Allows me to concentrate on the holiday season without feeling stressed out!!

We have always done 3 things that they want and one of them can be a big thing such as an Ipod, Ipad or laptop and then 2 other things. Then I get all of them new clothes from Hollister, American Eagle and A&F, we always end up getting them more things as we pick those up during the year, but the lists are made in June and given to me at the end of June and then I start doing 1 kid every other week, ours are older 20, 18, 17, 14 and 12 and there are also 5 birthdays in December and January so this is what works for us. I also don't stress over getting gifts for others, as I usually pick those up all year long during Free Shutterfly photo book promotions, Bath & Body Works B3G3 free sales and Target toy clearance so other people are always done at the beginning of the year. Each January I start fresh with a new Christmas list that lists everybody we give gifts to and then an idea of what to get them, a place for the actual gift and a done/or not done column, it works to keep me on track as I open it about once a month and say ok, I can afford to get this person and that person this month. Allows me to concentrate on the holiday season without feeling stressed out!!

We kind of do like you for Christmas as well. They usually get one big gift and then we buy the rest according to how much that big gift was. We usually try to set a budget instead of # of items.

That is a great idea. I try to start early, but it always seems like something comes up and we don't have the money...My kids' birthdays are kind of spread out. The boys are in March and my daughter's is in October. So I am usually able to buy alot of my daughter's bday gifts in the toy clearances after Christmas and in July. The boys are older (14) so we usually just give them money or gift cards to clothing stores now for their bday.

I am determined that next year I am going to set aside a certain amount of money each month for bday/christmas gifts. If I have a money set aside then when things go on sale I know that someone would like, I can get it without trying to dig into our other budget..lol.

I try to stick to a budget and the amount of gifts depend on the budget. Most of my kids are grown and married. I have one dd9 still at home and I have 3 grandbabies this year (2 more by next year) I set the budget oer person according to how much I have saved up throughout the year. I do buy clearance throughout the year especially for stockings, friend's gifts and those items I know for sure a family member will want. I am most tempted to go overboard with DD9 but I have to be able to pay cash so that stops a lot of my temptations!!!

I think the 4 gift idea sounds great as long as the item they want does not blow the budget!!

We set a budget per kid and spend according to their wish list and budget. Some years they get a lot of smaller gifts and others they get one big gift and a several smaller ones. We also reserve some of the items on their wish list for the grandparents to get since every year some or all of the gransparents will ask what they want/need.

What a great idea, my kids seem to be alot different then the majority here, they get alot all the time :/ Bdays and Christmas is not that big of a deal becasue of that. I am not the only bad guy they have a grandma that buys all year too. My kids are also older 14,11 and 9. My oldest will be getting a new car a few months after Christmas.

What a great idea, my kids seem to be alot different then the majority here, they get alot all the time :/ Bdays and Christmas is not that big of a deal becasue of that. I am not the only bad guy they have a grandma that buys all year too. My kids are also older 14,11 and 9. My oldest will be getting a new car a few months after Christmas.

My kids are pretty much the same as yours. Our budget is $500 per child (4 kids) and we pretty much go by what's on their list.

I have to say, one of the things I pride myself on is actually being able to stay on budget for Christmas gifts! I make out my list early, set my budget, pay close attention to sales and I'm usually right on target. I've even come in under budget several years! The one thing I always do is go through my son's toys around the end of November and clean out anything that hasn't seen the light of day in at least 6 months. He doesn't mind doing this as he knows it's going to go to a child who won't be able to have as much under their tree and it keeps our clutter under control!!

No way. Not fair to the kids. THey look forward to xmas. I have a xmas club I put 25 a week in and I preorder stuff and layaway on top of that. No worries on paying for it . I have a new granddaughter, 8 weeks old, and I'm going to go overboard big time on here. I have already bought my 6 and 8 granddaughters tablets, they shipped. today. Got a kindle fire preordered for my daughter. I usually buy about 12 presents apiece and 4 is just not going to happen in my home. I bought that many for the boy I had never met that my son brought here last year.

I don't plan on doing the "want, need, wear, read". I think it is a great idea, but my kids are too young to get excited about the "wear" or "read" and they have everything they need for now. I might do this when they get older, but for now their wish lists are all toy "wants". I have done a pretty good job limiting the number of gifts the kids get. I used to get my kids more, thinking that it was a lot but Christmas should be fun. Then they got even more from relatives and friends. They loved the stuff, but were overwhelmed when they had to clean it all up. Whenever I am tempted to get "just one more thing" I think of all the unused toys taking up space in my attic and decide against it.

I have 3 kiddos. They each get a gift for the other 2, everyone gets a gift from Mom & Dad (this often comes with accessories), a pair of PJs on x- Mas eve, a gift from Santa, and a stocking full of stuff. Sometimes coats, boots, socks, slippers, art supplies, and other needed things make it under the tree to even out the count and keep them guessing.

I brought this up to the kids for this year. We plan on moving next year and I'm trying to get rid of a bunch of stuff now. I don't really want to add much to what is already here. lol Movies and video games are always high on their lists so at least those are smaller and easily packable. Packer clothes and pj's are usually given so that's easy. My 6 year old wants a DS but he's pretty careless so I'm not sure if that'll make its way under the tree. Middle son mainly wants games for his 3DS. Oldest will be getting stuff for when he moves out in the spring.

My kids are the same way, they get some much when relative are added in that they are overwhelmed and things are not appreacited, and really depending on thier age you would be surprised at how easily they come on board with this, my kids have been great about it, they understand and want things that they actually want and will use instead of a bunch of stuff that is ok.....they even made restricted lists for relatives too!

It's the same way at our house. DS14 is our only child, and he is the only grandchild to my parents, and first grandchild to DS's parents. Needless to say he is spoiled rotten. It kinda ruins Christmas because he just doesn't get excited like I wish he did. Last year we did Christmas big, but I had planned to scale back this year. Doesn't look like that is gonna happen, though.....

I'm not doing the 4 gift holiday, more like a 2 gift holiday. I'm a full time nursing student and a single mom with 4 kids, my budget is $200 per kid. I received an unexpected refund from Toyota for some repairs I had done last year that they have now decided to extend the warranty to cover. Lucky for me, that's what is paying for Christmas. One kid is asking for a Kindle Fire, one is asking for an iPod Touch, another wants some of the more expensive video games, and the last is still undecided. For my girls that are asking for the Kindle and iPod, along with some Amazon and iTunes gift cards, that is all they will be getting. My youngest who is 6 years old is the one asking for the iPod and she is aware that if Santa leaves it for her that is about it, there won't be much else, no toys. It's what happened with her older sister last year when she got an iPod Touch for Christmas, and my little one says she is fine with it. Makes it pretty easy for me really, shopping with take very little time.