Bad news for Target shoppers this holiday season...

ObiRich

Yes I think they have no other choice but compete. Especially on Black Friday. there lines are usually wrapped around there buildings here. The news people do area helicopter shots because they can't get the full effect from the ground footage. Then again that is one less store I have to go to so it has its upside

Well, I hope someone destroys every target in the nation with mangeko sharingan

Lol. :gdfunnypost: Me too, but it'll have to be Sasuke since Itachi's dead.....My guys are soooooo addicted to Naruto.

Back to reality. I agree with starbeck that Target will have to compete. They will lose alot of business if they don't. I wonder if this will affect their Black Friday sales too, or just weekly sales? I sure hope it doesn't encourage other stores to do the same.

That's to awesome I didn't know there was other naruto here on the forums. No spoilers please lol rofl lmao and couldn't madara or Kakashi? They have sharigan

Oops. Sorry. They are so obsessed that we have all the box sets available in English and watch the new Japanese episodes as soon as it is subed on Narutoget.com every Thursday. It's a little diffucult for me to read so fast.....lol. Double oops forgot bout Kakaski and Madara......

Edited by Kim3498

I believe that Target will end up competing. They won't be able to afford not to compete..

I agree... you can't "not" have a holiday sale on black friday.

It may not be the ultra competitive ads that we have come to expect, but you have to have something.

C ya Target, what's next from them? Oh I know, they'll open @ noon on black Friday, don't want any dirty money from those dirty black Friday shoppers! Sarc/off ... Yeah soon enough they'll come back crawling, unless they have a madman running the show and driving that ship to the rocks...

My thoughts are they will have sales but they aren't going to be doing the crazy BF something for nothing stuff. I see LOTS of stuff sitting at Walmart for days after BF the past few years that can't be great for the bottom line either. Target is usually one of our stops to pick up odds and ends but not a place we start at.

Time will tell. If they truly stick with this plan I think it would be suicide at Christmas. I love, love target but I have to admit I have felt that they're changing from what I loved about them. I see them more geared toward grocery, and I personally don't care for their grocery section. The prices haven't been as competitive for a while now.

I was thinking about their philosophy when I posted the link, and I understand it since I do sales myself. It's all about margins. In my job, I sell less than one of my co-workers does but I bring in more money to the company's bottom line. Why? Because I don't discount our products nearly as much. By keeping my margin higher, I have to sell less, which make less work for me. If my sales are $80K a month and I have a 40% margin, that's $32K to the company's bottom line. My coworker sells 100K but with a 30% margin and nets only 30K for the company. And has to do 20% more work than me to do it. That's what I gleaned out of the article. They are rolling out this new line of Neiman Marcus products that they don't want to discount, and in addition they don't want to get stuck with inventory if people are stingy on spending this season. I think they will have "sales" but don't expect the big discounts like previous years.

I was in Target last night to look at the clearance in the dollar spot. I walked around the store and noticed the "sale items" most of what I saw was barely discounted especially in toys. The difference between the regular price and the sale price was between 50 cent top 90 cents. I like to shop at Target but I will spend my money where I can get the best price on the items I want to buy.

I, for one, can't wait to see the Nieman Marcus collection, as long as it's not shoddily made. Target has always been "get the basics, oh and here's some cool stuff that's not that expensive, I'll consider it" for me and that's probably where they are swinging full time now. I enjoy their clearance, and there's a lot of stuff I won't buy unless it's on clearance, but I still go to Target for everyday stuff.

Who was it last year that didn't compete as well with BF sales? Didn't they struggle during the entire Christmas season? It appears that they are hoping that everyone lines up for that new Nieman Marcus stuff instead of discounts. I hope that they don't go the same route as JCP.

Well if they dont have anything I need to get at a decent price then it will be one less store I have to stop at. I dont shop much at Target through out the year anyhow so if I didnt shop there during Christmas it wouldnt be a big issue to me. Will have to wait until the ads come out before I will decide if I will shop there or not.

I was thinking about their philosophy when I posted the link, and I understand it since I do sales myself. It's all about margins. In my job, I sell less than one of my co-workers does but I bring in more money to the company's bottom line. Why? Because I don't discount our products nearly as much. By keeping my margin higher, I have to sell less, which make less work for me. If my sales are $80K a month and I have a 40% margin, that's $32K to the company's bottom line. My coworker sells 100K but with a 30% margin and nets only 30K for the company. And has to do 20% more work than me to do it. That's what I gleaned out of the article. They are rolling out this new line of Neiman Marcus products that they don't want to discount, and in addition they don't want to get stuck with inventory if people are stingy on spending this season. I think they will have "sales" but don't expect the big discounts like previous years.

If you and one of your co-workers show up at the same customer's door, how does that work out for you? Unless you are somehow differentiating on something other than price, I'm guessing your harder working co-worker gets the sale.

If you and one of your co-workers show up at the same customer's door, how does that work out for you? Unless you are somehow differentiating on something other than price, I'm guessing your harder working co-worker gets the sale.

Our company is set up by territories, we don't go out and pound on doors (at least not in a literal sense). We are each responsible for a certain geographical area so we don't cross paths. There's a lot of overhead in making our sales, so the fewer sales it takes to make your goal the fewer company resources you have to expend to do it. But your point is well taken. All other things being equal, a customer will buy from whoever has the best price. It also explains why people complain about Walmart but still shop there. But if this were always true, then why do people still buy from higher priced retailers when the particular merchandise is the same?

I used to shop at Target all the time when the boys were small, it was so much cleaner than our old Walmarts. I rarely go there now, I love their ads but the newer Walmarts are better priced in my area and now that we have a small disability and then what I bring in, every penny counts. If they dont have something special this Christmas, I might not darken their doors..... I can't wear their clothes, not my size range...