Shopping for Bedroom Furniture

I'm good at shopping for TVs and computers. I can manage the purchase of a new car. I have NO IDEA how to shop for furniture.

We are in the process of replacing the flooring in our bedrooms and the connecting hallway. My kids are now teens and I'm thinking it's time to refresh the bedroom furniture.

I am looking for links to deal sites, discount sites, and best practices for purchasing bedroom furniture. I am looking at least for three queen size beds and mattresses. I'm OK with sets that include dressers. I am looking for reasonable quality -- something between sauder and heirloom. We are in southern New Hampshire, so please limit regional merchants to the north shore of Boston.

I am also interested in recommendations for mattresses and the adjustable beds.

I know I'm grasping at straws in posting this. Thanks, in advance, for your contributions to this discussion.

Wow what a great post. Wish I could help I am in the same boat. I am looking for furniture for my DD who is turning 14 the middle of August. She is asking for a couch style bed (maybe daybed or futon). So I will follow your post and hope to find something. I am in NE PA on the border of NY/NJ/PA

Thanks Len

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried big lots? They get name brand furniture. I personally have not ever gotten furniture there but I know people that have. I just got my kids all Cloud matresses because I am very strict on protecting the neck and back.

My kids own Ashley furniture and while its nice looking and reasonably priced it CAN be really bad. Its made poorly and is not pure wood but composite with overlay....I am very OCD and my kids have learned to take care of things so theirs still looks great but I have friends who's Ashley things just look horrible :(

My bedroom is Hooker and I absolutely love it, its pricey though.

I don't have vendor recommendations since I am way South of you...

good luck!

Try the small independent shops. My dh and I were shopping for a few pieces of furniture for our cabin and the small shops had the best prices and some good quality. If they do not have it on the floor, make sure you can check quality before buying it. We even found a furniture maker at a swap meet that had a great headboard and footboard for our bed. Mattress was so/so quality but could not beat the price

don't forget Craigslist, I got both mattress sets for the teens at fabulous price and they were top notch sets in good condition. My daughters came with a beautiful bedframe, they had other furniture for their room already but those came from Craigslist too. Also at furniture stores, most have a scratch and dent section, usually good deals and the damage usually is minimal

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to close the loop on this. I have read a lot of reviews and recommendations and can honestly assure you they are meaningless. It turns out that for every good review of a mattress or foundation or bed there is a scathing dress down. Even $3,000 mattresses have their detractors. My advice is to get an inexpensive coil mattress and a matching foundation. If the pair fails to satisfy, you can try something else without feeling bad.

Here is what I ended up with...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002L5JEPE/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_ST1_3p_dp_1

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_08214474000P?lid=IExTrans_ItemNumber_link&rioptype=SC&sid=IEx20120830TransSearsOrderConf&eml=

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_08214489000P?lid=IExTrans_ItemNumber_link&rioptype=SC&sid=IEx20120830TransSearsOrderConf&eml=

I'll update this topic once we have slept in the bed for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

My mattress and foundation arrived yesterday. I am very happy with the quality of each component and the price paid. It ended up being less expensive and nicer than expensive. If things change, I'll post a followup, but so far, so good. I decided to get a second set, but was shocked to see that the prices had increased dramatically...

bed: $324 ==> $364 (shipped)

foundation: $120 ==> $300 (shipped)

mattress: $280 ==> $695 (shipped)

total: $624 ==> $1359!

Hopefully, the sales are cyclical.