Need advice on buying a TV

chrisb482

Hi guys I need a little advice. I'm looking into buying a TV this BF, with a budget under $400. I was interested in the Insignia 30" Widescreen Flat-Tube HD-Ready TV - $399.99, Insignia 32" Stereo Color TV - $199.99 AR, Electronics Magnavox 27" Stereo Color TV - $122.99 AR, Samsung TX-R2765 DynaFlat 27" HDTV Monitor - $369.99, and the Toshiba 32A35 32" Color Television - $279.99. I'm interested in the Ingignia HDTV, but I dont know about the quality of this product. Which TV do you techs think would be the best choice?

Thanks for your input

Check with the service centers in your area to see which brands they are authorized to work on under warranty.

1) Sony

2) Toshiba

3) Sanyo

4) Others

RCA having problems with parts availablity.

The new DLP and LCD tvs recommend buying extended warranty. They will be expensive to repair.

Guest waltchan
Best Buy will offer the Insignia 32" for $199.99 while Sears will offer the Toshiba 32A35 for $279.99. If you haven't noticed, the Insignia 32" for $199.99 is actually made by Toshiba (Orion). It is not made by Insignia. This is definitely not a joke. Why spend $80 more for the Toshiba 32A35 at Sears when both of the 32" TVs are made by the same company and share the same reliability and quality. Put that extra $80 back into your wallet or purse and pick up the Insignia at Best Buy. Thanks for reading.

There are quite a few reasons that you would spend 80$ more for a higher quality product. Just becuase the brands are related does not make two tv's equal.

Looking at the ads it looks like the Insignia 32" tv would probably be the one that is priced right now at 269.99. It does not have component imputs for an increase in quality for some sources, it does not have a digital comb filter to clean up the quality of your lower quality sources, and the remote is a simple basic remote.

The Toshiba has a digital comb filter, component video connections, a universal remote with light up display and analog audio out connections for some people that may use these for a stereo or headphone connections.

There is also the fact that in a more expensive set the internal components and connections are held to a higher standard than in the cheaper sets. There is a margin for error when manufacturing tv sets and this margin gets much smaller in a more expensive set. It is the intangible reliability factor that often comes when you "get what you pay for".

Sorry chrisb but I didn't see any actual information on the high def tv's but tend to agree with others when I say that Samsung does make a quality product right now. When you go with a cheaper product not only do you lose reliability and some connections but you also sacrifice convenience. Often these sets will not have all of the features of the more expensive ones, for instance a hdtv that I saw on sale last year did not have the option of changing the aspect ratio of incoming programming. That may not be a big deal to some, but could drive others crazy. Out of all of the tvs you listed you'll have to be the one to decide hd or non-hd but remember that hd shows the capability of the tv. A non-hdtv and an hdtv running the same dvd in the same player, or the same non hd programming next to each other the hdtv will look better because it can. They will both take the same signal and display it to the best of their ability, but the non-hd tv is limited in what it can display.