Link your favorite FREE Christmas download here.....thanks Marcster!

susiejwp

My favorite is I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas and in another post Marcster was good enough to post the folling link:

[if you don't already have an MP3 of "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" by Gayla Peevey, you can get it here:

http://soe.hyperchat.com/newchat/u/y...e/hippoFAQ.htm (right click and choose "save as" on the MP3 link)

It's not her site, per say, it looks like she condones the download...

And my favorite Christmas song isn't a "true" Christmas song at all, but that's when it gets airtime. It's "Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg.]

In the spirit of the holidays I invite all of you to post your free download links here so that we mighta ll enjoy them!:holiday10:hert::holiday14:holiday03:holiday05:holiday08:holiday16:holiday08

Gator Pam, why do you leave the i in Christmas out? I am aware of that being done to the word "God," in the Jewish culture, because there is some tenet against actually writing/saying the name, but I haven't heard of any Christian groups that do that to Jesus/Christ/etc.

Just curious...

Gator Pam, why do you leave the i in Chr-stmas out? I am aware of that being done to the word "G-d," in the Jewish culture, because there is some tenet against actually writing/saying the name, but I haven't heard of any Chr-stian groups that do that to J-sus/Chr-st/etc.

Just curious...

That's exactly the reason. I am Jewish, and to show respect for all dieties, I leave a letter out when writing a form of a name of HaShem. It's more my own further interpretation of the teachings, but it's what I do.

My son goes to school where the majority of the administration and staff are devotees of Kr-shna. I generally refer to their religious organization as HK.

The only time I run into a problem personally is when I am addressing a person with a name for HaShem as their own name. If I don't know them well, I will write it the way they use it, although it pangs me to do so. After I've gotten to know them, I ask if there is a nickname, abbreviation, or if they would mind if I hyphened out a letter of their name.

I was taught that the term X-mas and X-tianity is actually preferable over Chr-stmas and Chr-stianity, as the X represents the cross, and that Easter, the cross, and the resurrection are really what Chr-stianity is all about. More so than the birth of JC at Chr-stmas. But, so many people have hopped on the 'Put the Chr-st back in Chr-stmas' campaign that more people get offended when I use the X instead of the hyphen. So I do that more often now, instead of what I understand to actually be more respectful of the beliefs of Chr-stianity.

But, I truly mean no disrespect when writing the various names of G-d with the hyphen, and do it totally out of respect for all of the various names I recognize.

That's exactly the reason. I am Jewish, and to show respect for all dieties, I leave a letter out when writing a form of a name of HaShem. It's more my own further interpretation of the teachings, but it's what I do.

My son goes to school where the majority of the administration and staff are devotees of Kr-shna. I generally refer to their religious organization as HK.

The only time I run into a problem personally is when I am addressing a person with a name for HaShem as their own name. If I don't know them well, I will write it the way they use it, although it pangs me to do so. After I've gotten to know them, I ask if there is a nickname, abbreviation, or if they would mind if I hyphened out a letter of their name.

I was taught that the term X-mas and X-tianity is actually preferable over Chr-stmas and Chr-stianity, as the X represents the cross, and that Easter, the cross, and the resurrection are really what Chr-stianity is all about. More so than the birth of JC at Chr-stmas. But, so many people have hopped on the 'Put the Chr-st back in Chr-stmas' campaign that more people get offended when I use the X instead of the hyphen. So I do that more often now, instead of what I understand to actually be more respectful of the beliefs of Chr-stianity.

But, I truly mean no disrespect when writing the various names of G-d with the hyphen, and do it totally out of respect for all of the various names I recognize.

That is very interesting...I had never considered that someone might extend that tenet to other religions' deities as well. So, then, would you put a hyphen in my son's name (Christopher) because it happens to contain those letters in that order? (I have never actually considered his name to be a form of the word "Christ"--to me it is just a regular name that happens to have those letters in it and isn't any more religious of a name than any other name out there) Or would you not hypen that because it's just a regular name, not the name "Christ" itself?

I also think it's very interesting how some cultures would never use a name like Jesus or Christ for their children, when in other cultures (for example, hispanic), Jesus (pronounced hay-soos) is a very common name.

So, then, would you put a hyphen in my son's name (Christopher) because it happens to contain those letters in that order? (I have never actually considered his name to be a form of the word "Christ"--to me it is just a regular name that happens to have those letters in it and isn't any more religious of a name than any other name out there) Or would you not hypen that because it's just a regular name, not the name "Christ" itself?

I would prefer to use the hyphen, but until I asked him (or you, as his Mom) I would write it out. But, it would bother me to do so...