Anyone else's local media discouraging shopping WM this season?

Candy

Guest Deals4Me

Walmart has its pros. It has its cons.

I am not thier biggest fan...unless we're talking clearance...

But my family couldnt afford to boycot them.

Christians are a dying breed, walmart is smart to say happy holidays instead of merry christmas, as to not offend the majority. How many christians do you actually know that are offended by "happy holidays"? My guess would be none, it's a group of about 10-15 hard core christians that want to force their beliefs on the rest of us so they write one letter and send a copy to a newspaper in BFE, it gets picked up by the A.P. and voila, boycott walmart!

Guess what, it's not going to happen. WM grosses almost a billion dollars a day in retail sales, yes almost A BILLION DOLLARS A DAY (around 925million at last count), do you think they give a crap if 200 people following reverend umptysquat stay home from a sale? I think not. As far as the unfair wages go...yes cutting the hours to just under 40 is unethical and those people should be able to take legal action for losing benefits, but low pay? No. They tell you the pay when you put your application in. If you can't live off it, don't go to work there.

my .02 cents

Not meant to offend anybody. Not anti-christian, I'm pro-common-sense, which most christians with a voice lack (tele-vangelists or any one with a radio show that thinks it's his/her job to save the world. Guess what! I don't need your saving. Keep it to yourself.)

Also not pro-wal mart per se, Pro-Cheapass!!!!

I'm not sure if you're funny, misinformed or both!

I believe you'll find that while the number of Catholics may be declining, the overall number of Christians is rising. The individual leading the proposed boycott was not a "Reverend" at all. Are you aware that WalMart does a great deal of it's business in the so-called "bible belt" where many Christians take this stuff rather seriously? You may laugh it off, but WalMart didn't. They will continue to say "Happy Holidays", but that's not really what the boycott was about. Many people were not even aware of this change until the media got involved. The boycott was ended because WalMart corrected it's mistakes, if only in it's own interest. It will be interesting to see if some Christians spend their money elsewhere this Christmas season, as they have in past years - notice Federated bringing back Christmas this year. Probably not.

As for times being tough, people needing cheap or sale items you are correct. As for the benefit policies, you may be correct. As for many Christians not caring about "Happy Holidays" - you MAY be correct, but again, that's not what the boycott was all about. As for being "pro-common-sense", when some estimates say 75-80% of WalMart's customers are Christian, does it make good business or common sense to antagonize them? Probably not.

There were people at work today passing out flyers to a screening of an anti-WalMart documentary at the local high school. At the bottom of the flyer was a message that read:

"Free Admittance for Wal-Mart Employees"

They left before we got the luxury of having them arrested for tresspassing and unauthorized soliciting.

My town is fighting to keep a walmart out as well. I couldn't understand why. My husband has an account at walmart and he said they are the WORST to work for.

My husband gets the day after thanksgiving off. However, walmart ( not even his employer) wants him in the store to stock at 2am Friday.

If he is not there his company is thrown out of the store. My husband is PISSED to say the least! So much for us traveling on Thanksgiving to my family. So we will stay home alone for Thanksgiving just so Walmart can have their potato chips! UGH!!!!

Now I know why so many people HATE this store. I won't be shopping there EVER again!

There have been WalmartWatch ads on the radio. They sing a jingle about how bad Walmart is to the tune of Santa Claus Is Coming To Town. I think it said their website is www.walmartwatch.com, but I have not been there. I'm too skeered to check it out (yet). I don't normaly shop there anyway, but my reasons are it is too far away and WAY over crowded not to mention the rude sales people (which if they are not getting health benefits, and all the other stuff the radio ads said maybe they have a good reason to be grumpy). I actually tried to go there last week and when I asked for help and was given a blow off response I walked back out got in my van and drove over to Target where they were nice to me and I felt a lot better about being there. :P

Michele :usflag:

PS - now I have Santa Claus Is Coming to Town running through my brain! ACK!

Our town (Fort Wayne IN) has tried several times to block Walmart to no avail. We currently have 3 huge superstores here and Walmart is planning to build 3 more. I really can't see many smaller businesses surviving. Walmarts business practices are horrid. For now I will shop at Target and stay out of Walmart.

I want the bike that walmart has onsale on BF. My husband refused to purchase it there. He said he would rather pay full price then line the pockets of Walmart. If you read my above post you will see why.

Also, last week was take your child to work week for my husband's employeer.

My husband took a different child ( 3 of them) on a different day. All 3 of my kids said the "Lady in check it was really mean." My daughter who is 8 said "The lady cussed at Daddy in front of me because I was there!"

I asked my husband what he did and he said he couldn't do anything since his company has a major account there and they would get thrown out if he reported the woman.

I wanted to walk into that store and give that woman a little more than a piece of my mind for using the "F" word in front of a 8 year old.

My husband said it would do no good since he has seen employee's drop that word right on the sales floor with nothing done.

I figure if their employee's don't have enough CLASS to not cuss in front of an 8 year old child then that is not the store for me.

It seem their stores always are a mess and the employee's are rude. NO THANKS!

Like I said before in my post my husband would never let me shop at a Walmart since he started his account there three years ago.

I live in a community where most are farmers and a poll was taken 83% of people polled will not shop at the walmart if it is built.

Now that's a way to get them out of business and out of our area!