Anyone else's local media discouraging shopping WM this season?

Candy

Our local media (mainly paper) has asked people NOT to shop at Walmart this season due to the low wages employees make...(I worked there..I must admit they are TERRIBLE!) I didn't know until today about this..and have been searching to see if it's one or media outlets.

Alot of the media around here is discouraging WalMart because they aren't wishing people Merry Christmas instead it's Happy Holidays. From what I hear it wouldn't be so bad except if you go on there Website and type in Hanukah (not sure of the spelling) or Kwanza several items pop up. But if you type in Christmas you get a message stating that you've been redirected to their "Holiday" pages. The Christian groups are upset about that and the media - especially Bill Cunningham on 700 WLW is upset about it. I haven't checked it to see if they've changed it.

Alot of the media around here is discouraging WalMart because they aren't wishing people Merry Christmas instead it's Happy Holidays. From what I hear it wouldn't be so bad except if you go on there Website and type in Hanukah (not sure of the spelling) or Kwanza several items pop up. But if you type in Christmas you get a message stating that you've been redirected to their "Holiday" pages. The Christian groups are upset about that and the media - especially Bill Cunningham on 700 WLW is upset about it. I haven't checked it to see if they've changed it.

I watched a report about this on the news tonight. Here's an article about it for those who missed it-

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=47330

Do you live in the Cincinnati area? I ask because I heard Bill Cunningham too. Steve Sommers was talking about it later last night too but he didn't sound very anti Walmart .

I didn't know that you could go tho their web site and get redirected like that. I have no problem with the Happy Holidays thing but if you can do a search on those two holidays and get info, you should be able to get info on Christmas.

I live in Piqua. I listen to Paul Harvey during my lunch hour and Bill Cunningham comes on after that. I heard that the Catholic League sent a request to WalMart asking them about the customer's inquiry of Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas and the customer service manager's response talking about how Christmas was a pagan holiday and the colors came from a mushroom and on and on. So the Catholic League was all upset and asked for several things which included an apology and for the website to be fair. Well I haven't heard if they exactly got an apology but the customer service manager was fired and I'm not sure if they've fixed the website or not.

Saturday 11/12/05: I have heard that the website has been resolved. An apology was issued, the Catholic League has cancelled their boycott.

I have not heard anything. But what is sad in our area is because it is such a small town and they are really the big store around here. They have tons of people wanting to work there. So that really does not say very much. But it is sad. I really think WM. has gone down hill since Mr. Walton passed away.

Well in all seriousness if you know the HISTORY of Christmas it really isn't connected to the birth of Christ at all. It is more closely directed to Winter Soltice and pagan holidays. People would cavort around and it would be more like Halloween than we would think of Christmas being today. The Catholic church then picked up on the party idea and tied Christ's birth with it. Then we can all thank the Coca Cola company for associated St. Nicholas with Christmas.

So......it really isn't a Christian holiday at all.

=o)

Rachael

I was just at a community action conference with a profess. who explained how wally world makes the communtiy you live in poorer... Think about it, they close out all the small mom and pop places, and of course everything is cheaper at first and they hire at 7 bucks an hour full time..... However, three years later after all the other stores are out of business the prices are higher and people are getting hours cut below 40 hours so they don't have to pay benefits. I think walmart stinks.... even though i get some good deals there...