* Official Black Friday DIGITAL CAMERA Thread *

i-bystander

You seem to know alot about cameras which one is better the HP at walmart for $98.88 or the Kodak at Target for $89.99. What exactly is digital zoom? See earlier post that I wrote about camera bf has if at all possible. Thanks in advance.:)

Digital zoom means the computer chip in the camera does the zooming and not the lens. This is really a gimmick feature because you can do a digital zoom on your computer in MS paint by increasing the image size to 200% for 2x zoom. Digital zoom usually degrades the quality of the picture significantly. You are better off not using it.

Optical zoom uses the camera lens to zoom, which does not degrade the image. Poor quality lenses may cause some barrel or pincushion distortion but that is getting into jargon a bit much.

The quick answer is:

Digital zoom = bad (don't use it)

Optical zoom = good (although cameras with a big optical zoom are usually bulky)

Anyone seen good BF/Christmas deals on the Fuji F10?

This is really not for me (I own a Canon Digital Rebel XT and love it) but for a friend of mine. It's debatable whether she can wait in line for anything, as she has a young daughter, but I want to give her a shot a good camera.

Haven't used the Fuji, but I've seen lots of pics taken with the camera. Anyone taking a lot of indoor photos should be VERY interested in the F10 because of its high-ISO (virtual film speed) capabilities, which give you clean low-light shots without the girlie-man flash of most digicams, even good ones.

So again, any F10 bargains to be had? Thanks!

Does anyone know how good the Polaroid 5.0 megapixel camera at Circuit City is for 70 bucks? I don't expect much for the price, but is there anything I don't know about that I should just stay away from?

My mom just got laid off and I told her not to get me anything for Xmas, but she wants to get me a camera because I'm going away to school in a month and she wants me to send pictures to her.

Polaroid 5.0MP Digital Camera - $69.99.

Digital zoom means the computer chip in the camera does the zooming and not the lens. This is really a gimmick feature because you can do a digital zoom on your computer in MS paint by increasing the image size to 200% for 2x zoom. Digital zoom usually degrades the quality of the picture significantly. You are better off not using it.

Optical zoom uses the camera lens to zoom, which does not degrade the image. Poor quality lenses may cause some barrel or pincushion distortion but that is getting into jargon a bit much.

The quick answer is:

Digital zoom = bad (don't use it)

Optical zoom = good (although cameras with a big optical zoom are usually bulky)

Right on the money about zoom. Get the Kodak over the HP.

I posted this in the electronics forum, butI'm gonna post here to since these cameras are on sale this weekend and BF and I really wanna get one soon. any advice?

Ok, after much researching I have narrowed it down to 4-5 cameras, so now I need help. Does anyone have any comments/suggestions or have you used the phone.

Canon SD500(maybe SD550)- these 2 phones are virtually the same, only the 550 has a slightly larger screen. The only bad thing I've heard is that some peoples screens cracked on the 500, haven't heard of any cracking on the 550.

Fuji F10- this has lower mp than the canon (7.2 vs fuji's 6.1) but the iso is higher so it can take low light pictures w/o a flash.

Kodak Z730- haven't heard too much about this one, but it's a 5mp with 4x optcal zoom I think.

Sony DSC-W7- This is my final option. It has 7mp, but I heard the picture quality wasn't quite as good as the canon.

Please let me know what you think. I'm hoping to get one in the next week. I'm checking prices, and they are pretty close, but I'm willing to pay a little more fora better camera, I just don't want to go to SLR because they are too big, otherswise I would get the canon S1 I2.

Right on the money about zoom. Get the Kodak over the HP.

You say to get the Kodak over the HP why? The only reason I am asking is because my bf has the kodak that comes w/ the dock, he got from Target for $200 and the lcd on it is really grainy for some reason. Thats why I am kinda afraid to get the Kodak could it be that it just has lower MPs? I know i posted some of this earlier but I really need the help. Thanks. Also thanks to medicineman for the info about the digital zoom.:clapping:

Guest innatthepark

I take that back. I just looked at the new scans of the OfficeDepot ad, and I'll be getting the Kodak Z740 for $225 AR! I can't believe that deal, that camera seems so nice. I might buy the Z730 there tomorrow and then return it after I bought the Z740 or keep t if I cannot get it. I'm planning on camping out at best buy, buy I'm not positive now.

For a better price on the Z740 go here: See below

$179

Here is a review: See below

HTH

EDIT

Can't link. Not enough posts. Go to mixitforme and dpreview. Add the rest.

Fuji F10- this has lower mp than the canon (7.2 vs fuji's 6.1) but the iso is higher so it can take low light pictures w/o a flash.

You have to be careful comparing just by listed MP amounts. Many manufacturers are strecthing the truth with their MP claims. When I was shopping for digital cameras this summer I found some comparisons showing 5MP Kodak camers with a true MP of ~3.5MPs. This is one item where finding in-depth reviews that compare image quality can really help with decision making.

DPREVIEW has a good review at: (I would include the link to the article but they won't let me -- just do a google search for "dpreview fuji f10" and it will be the top hit).

Their tests show the 6MP Fuji having better resolution than many 7MP and 8MP models. They do a compariosn on resolution with the SD500 and the Fuji has better resolution.

Anyone seen good BF/Christmas deals on the Fuji F10?

This is really not for me (I own a Canon Digital Rebel XT and love it) but for a friend of mine. It's debatable whether she can wait in line for anything, as she has a young daughter, but I want to give her a shot a good camera.

Haven't used the Fuji, but I've seen lots of pics taken with the camera. Anyone taking a lot of indoor photos should be VERY interested in the F10 because of its high-ISO (virtual film speed) capabilities, which give you clean low-light shots without the girlie-man flash of most digicams, even good ones.

So again, any F10 bargains to be had? Thanks!

I see the Fuji F10 advertised for $348.47 as a bf special while Sam's Club carrys the camera with an everyday price of $299.00.

I am planning on buying my almost 13yr old DD her own digital camera for Christmas. The Sears BF ad for the Kodak 3.2 MP with printer deck bundle for $149.99 looks like a good deal.

Any one have any better suggestions? I am not sure what the costs are involved with the printer ink, paper, etc. Would I be better off getting a digital and no printer dock and just have her upload them on my pc and order prints online?

I myself have a sony digital and love it but would like something inexpensive for her to start with but not getting too cheap so that it is crappy. I have a HP all in one printer so it has the 4 memory stick/media slots so I figured Kodak should work with that for uploading.

Comments? Tips??? Thanks

I think Office max has a BF sale on the kodak paper. They have 60 sheets that are 4x6 for $1.99 and 25 8.5x11 for $2.99, Staples has a 50 pack of the 8x11 for $4.94, and Curcuit city has a buy one get one free on all photo paper. I am planning on picking up 2 cameras on BF one for me that is a 5mp and one for my son that has the printing dock as well as a camera that has less mp's.

Tina

Any one have any better suggestions? I am not sure what the costs are involved with the printer ink, paper, etc. Would I be better off getting a digital and no printer dock and just have her upload them on my pc and order prints online?

The paper and ink for the printer dock are sold as 1 package/cartridge and it averages out to over 50 cents per 4X6 print. That is the largest size you can make. The prints ordered on line are cheaper.

I am not sure what the costs are involved with the printer ink, paper, etc. Would I be better off getting a digital and no printer dock and just have her upload them on my pc and order prints online?

I don't see how you can beat the online service prices -- snapfish is 11 cents a print mailed to you or 19 cents a print picked up at your local Walgreens. I have tried the Walgreens thing since there is one on the way to work it is very convenient. The price doing it via Snapfish is cheaper than if you take the prints into the store!

HP 317 at Wal mart for $88 thats a steal!!!!!!!!!!!!! I heard that the wal-mart near me says that they have only 50. 5 MP and 4x dig zoom. get for the beginner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also 256 SD card for $13.88

oFF TO wAL-mART!!!

RJ

So do you think the HP is better than the Kodak at Target for $89.99? I looked at the Kodak on Kodak and the features look really nice but I could not find anything about the HP online, do you know anything?:D

HP 317 at Wal mart for $88 thats a steal!!!!!!!!!!!!! I heard that the wal-mart near me says that they have only 50. 5 MP and 4x dig zoom. get for the beginner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also 256 SD card for $13.88

oFF TO wAL-mART!!!

RJ

So if I go to Wal-mart the day before Thanksgiving and buy one of these, could I return it BF and then IMMEDIATELY buy it again?

This is my first BF where I'm a shopper and not a retail worker so I'm very scared! And I NEED this camera! Any suggestions?

Well, I would not say that the Panasonic FZ series (FZ5,FZ15,FZ20, amd FZ30) are bulky. Actually, they are rated as the best in the prosumer class with powerful 12x stabilized zoom and 2.8 aperture throughout the entire zoom range. Much better than Canon, Kodak, and all the others in this class.

Also, combined with the Olympus TCON 14B telelens, I have 18x optical zoom :gd_pineap :gd_pineap :gd_pineap

If you find a good deal on these - jump on it (anything around 300$).

I posted this in the electronics forum, butI'm gonna post here to since these cameras are on sale this weekend and BF and I really wanna get one soon. any advice?

Ok, after much researching I have narrowed it down to 4-5 cameras, so now I need help. Does anyone have any comments/suggestions or have you used the phone.

Canon SD500(maybe SD550)- these 2 phones are virtually the same, only the 550 has a slightly larger screen. The only bad thing I've heard is that some peoples screens cracked on the 500, haven't heard of any cracking on the 550.

Kodak Z730- haven't heard too much about this one, but it's a 5mp with 4x optcal zoom I think.

Sony DSC-W7- This is my final option. It has 7mp, but I heard the picture quality wasn't quite as good as the canon.

Please let me know what you think. I'm hoping to get one in the next week. I'm checking prices, and they are pretty close, but I'm willing to pay a little more fora better camera, I just don't want to go to SLR because they are too big, otherswise I would get the canon S1 I2.

It depends on what you are looking for. If you look for a "prosumer" class camera (SLR-like), I'd go for Panasonic FZ series with the powerful Leica lens. The most important part of the camera is the lens, and S2 IS is nowhere near FZs.

IF you need good point-and-shoot, go for Fuji F10. Its low light performance nears SLR. Generally, all non-SLRs introduce a lot of noise with ISO 200 and above. The unique exception is F10. However, if you go for FZ20, it has a hot shoe that will allow to use external flash (a decent one sells around 70$ on Ebay), so you don't have to worry about low-light conditions.

bottom line: Pana FZs or Fuji F10

Hope it helps.

i wanted to see the kodak c360 to see how it was at bestbuy today. I heard bestbuy has these big "deals" on BF's, but when you get there that morning, they're supposably "all out". Well i went there today...there was no display of it, only the c340 so after waiting 15 mins for a salesmen i asked him do you have the kodak c360? He replies no we dont. I said YOU DONT?. He says no. I said well its going on sale friday morning isn't it? He looked at me like...how the hell did you know. He hesitates and goes yeah it goes on sale friday morning, and i go and you dont even have it here? He goes oh ummm well we didn't get it in ...yet.

So i guess this rumor of them having these BIG DEALS and them being all out might be true. So my advice for you best buy shoppers better check if they even have the big deals in before you're out at 5am waiting in line for nothing:g_thumbsd

Ughhh cant wait til BF! I somehow broke my camera in the last couple of days. Turned it on tonight at the mall (it was in my pocketbook) and its broke :( The LCD makes it seem like I have a crack somewhere and the 2 lights are just blinking... I run my own web business and need to get pics up online... I need a camera QUICK! Preferrably under $150 since I got this HP about a year ago (all my cameras last abouta year, last one was a Toshiba)... I HAVE to have optical zoom... take mostly pics of my merchandise and some of my 4 kids... I normally just print 4x6 because my HP was a 3MP camera, so would like a 4 or 5 MP to do bigger pics... anyone have suggestions?? THANKS~ Steph

I would LOVE to wait until BF but I dont think I can hold out business wise until then :( That looks like a GREAT deal

You said you had an HP. How did you like it? I am looking at the HP photosmart E317 at WM for $ 88 and the Kodak easyshare c315 at Target for $ 89.99. I have read reviews on the HP and everyone seems to like it but can't find any on the C315. any help you can give would be great, Thanks:)

ok i been staring at this thread for a while and im wondering on which is the best camera..

Canon PowerShot A520 169.15 @ dell

Kodak c360 129.99 @ bestbuy

kodak z760 199.99 @ walmart

Willing to spend up to 200 on a dig cam but im just wondering what is best because this will be first digital camera i get for family. If there is a better deal i didn't mention please feel free to toss it in. THanks :)