* Official Black Friday DVD PLAYER / RECORDER Thread *

i-bystander

For those considering the Cyberhome...Beware.

I bought the 1500 model last year, and about 3 months later, the drive wouldn't open. Worked great until then. My dad had the same exact issue after the same time-frame. I was able to return it to Fry's, but it was not easy. I got a Panasonic instead.

I don't know if they fixed it in the 1600 model, but you may want to search the web. Apparently it was a fairly common problem.

I know Lite-On is a good brand fro PC dvd recorders. I would assume they are good for stand-alone as well, but I've never owned one.

Also,

If you want to copy a copyrighted VHS onto a stand-alone dvd recorder, you will need a "video stabilizer." This will fix the macro-vision problems. I still prefer recording DVDs from a DVD. I don't care much for the quality of a VHS recorded onto a DVD, but that's just MHO. My wife thinks they look okay. I copy my DVDs to use in the SUV. I don't trust keeping original copies, because I have had enough CDs stolen in the past. The deductable for homeowner's is too high to risk it. Plus I can get rid of the menus so that the movie plays right away.

ROSSman and Brad.

You better change the price. I found on Wal-mart Online Black Friday sale.

It SAY 68 bucks!!!

* Cyberhome CH-DVR1200 DVD Recorder - FOR JUST 68 BUCKS

If you look at some of the recent threads on this forum today, you will see many people are seeing a vast array of prices on items - it all depends on where you live. :)

BEWARE OF CYBERHOME I BOUGHT 2 OF THOSE 1600 MODELS one for me and one for my dad we use it to burn tv shows programed shows and after 3 months did a lot of weird stuff both mine and my dads is now useless for programmed recording, i even updated the bios from the download page of cyberhome but still it wont record good.....

im looking into the $100 samsung one from BB, thoughts?

also i'm familiar with cd burning but not dvds..do all dvdrs use rs & rws? (in other words, can you copy over stuff if you're using dvd-rws?)

and can someone please tell me what's up with dvd-r vs dvd+r vs dvd-rw vs dvd+rw (if all of those are actual types)? :eyepoppin

I had bad experience with a cyberhome 1600 as well. Mine had a bad picture, and beyond that would not work with any media I tried in it so I returned it. Even if the media did work, the picture quality would have made me take it back.

the samsung at BB has mixed reviews.

I am looking at the Lite-on that's going to be on sale at Officemax. I believe it will record to DVD+-R as well as play DIVX.

All of the DVD recorders Ive looked at lately have burned to DVD-RWs. There is no DVD+RW recorder yet AFAIK, just DVD-RW. If your recorder burns only +R or -R, the only thing you have to know is that's the type of media to put in it..

My ilo from wally world burns DVD+RW. It's $99 EDLP. I've used it for over a year. I wouldn't buy anything cheaper. Please spend the extra $20 and get it. For reviews of DVD RECORDERS go to videohelp (add www and com), left hand side, click recorders. I see the ilo 05 (I have last year's model 04) may play divx.

Or buy the samsung or Lite-On. I would stay away from cyberhome and other names I haven't ever heard of. My ilo says, "Lite-On" on it.

FYI. officemax has the lite-on lvw-1105hc today fir 69 after rebates. I was the first to grab one this morning when officemax opened. I dont know how big the draw was for these, but compared to the other choices of dvd recorders this one seems to be excellent. It plays DIVX (read: movies you download from the internet) which no other dvd recorders on sale today do. it is dual format (records to dvd-r and dvd+r plus dvdrw).

If you are still shopping for one, I'd check with officemax to see if they have any left.

I got VERY lucky today and found everything on my list, and then some.

I ended up buying both of the following DVD recorders for the same price after rebates (one cost more but had a bigger rebate): Lite-on LVW-1105HC and an LVW-1105GHC from two different stores.

Near as I can figure, the difference is that the model with the G includes VCR Plus.

Is this the only difference? Can anyone shed any light on which I should return?

thx.

dj

I plan to use mine as a way to record favorite shows and an occasional movie. Basically as a high tech VCR with cheaper, smaller media that doesn't degrade (to the eye/ear of the viewer) over time like a VHS tape.

The DiVX playback feature is one I really wanted because of the popularity of that format on home-made/encoded videos found online.

I got mine, (The $75 one at CC.), to off load a few hours a month from the TiVo to another media to save. We live in a small apt. There is no room for videotape. Of course this does not stop my husband from taping all kinds of stuff, but, there definetly isn't room for both of us to do that. So now I will use DVD and save some space. I don't keep everything. I'll probably only use one or two DVD+R's a month.

Got the Cyberhome 1600MU. Put it to test today to burn video with Firewire input. It works with both my Sony mini-DV camcorders in NTSC and PAL format. I did not expect the PAL to work but it does. The only problem is the not so smooth PAL to NTSC conversion. It is not clear if the frame drop was during recording or play back, but it is more likely to be the former case. The TV recording is also very good. The picture quality is around 95% of the original. I was about to update the firmware, but I found it is loaded with the latest one already. The region-code hack also works perfectly. I've tested Code 3 and All Code disk without problem. I also tried the divxtest disk. It plays Divx4/5/6 and XivD well. So far I am very satisfied with the purchase. The S-video I/O is crucial for me as I have some home video on S-VHS-C tapes. None of the other ones on sale has S-input.

I bought the Daewoo from sears and the cyberhome from walmart and took both back today. I think I am going to get the emerson from walmart that is $138 or something like that, at least it is a brand that I recognize. I wasn't able to see how well the cyberhome worked since I couldn't get it to work at all, I probably wasn't doing something right as I was messing with it during my BF exhaustion.

I got mine, (The $75 one at CC.), to off load a few hours a month from the TiVo to another media to save. We live in a small apt. There is no room for videotape. Of course this does not stop my husband from taping all kinds of stuff, but, there definetly isn't room for both of us to do that. So now I will use DVD and save some space. I don't keep everything. I'll probably only use one or two DVD+R's a month.

I took my CC model back. Only has composite input and the transfers from my DVR were horrible:mad:;totally pixelated and jaggy