* Official Black Friday DVD PLAYER / RECORDER Thread *

i-bystander

Both LVW 1101 and 1105 have the same Manual. They both support dual media. That means DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW.

The Daewoo from Sears supports both as well. I got it last night at the Friends and Family night and overall I am happy with it. I never had another dvd recorder so I can't really compare it to anything else but it is definately better than a vcr. It lacks the commercial skip function but IMO that is what the fast forward button is for.

The DVD copy software -- I assume this should be used with the DVD recorder. Am i correct? Please clarify how i shd use this product. Also one more information, last BF i got the Liteon -5005 and it is not copying the DVD's now. Infact we started using this product only recently. When we put the dvd it says preparing and then it says invalid disc no matter what brand of DVD you put. Again, pl clarify reg. the dvd copy so that i can order right now (shd i wait till BF for ordering this?)

Thanks

Brian

http://dvd-burning-software.topchoicereviews.com/

Top Choice Award

$59.00

Our Top Choice Award™ goes to 1Click DVD Copy for it's ease of use, flawless reproduction quality, and excellent customer service.

1Click DVD Copy is now the fastest DVD Copy software product in the world! What used to take 33 minutes to copy now takes 11 minutes (reference movie is "The Matrix") and since burning speeds have now reached 16X on most DVD writers, you can burn in as little as 4 minutes. 1Click DVD Copy also supports the copying of protected & encrypted DVDs. >> Read More...

FREE BONUS: For a limited time, when you purchase 1Click DVD Copy, you will also recieve CopyToDVD, a new generation tool that allows you to create music CDs from MP3, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, etc. It also allows you to backup your music, video, photos and data files to DVD or CD. They give you this $29.99 software for free!

I'm not sure about this, but I think what you're talking about is a burner for a computer & I'm talking about a dvd recorder that goes with your tv. I'm pretty confused though! LOL

Hey, I've been dying to get a DVD recorder too, but just found out some new info on them. From what I have read, the current DVD recorders will NOT be able to record any HD content. So if your like me and only have an HD over the air tuner, you still can't record any of your shows. It's a bummer. If anyone has onther information on this I'd love to find a way to get my HD content recorded on a DVD, even if its not the highest quality.

Are they hard to find? We just got a van and want to get one but I noticed on the Ads only Walmart has one on sale on BF. Does anyone know if Emerson is a good company for DVD Players? or Where else there will be Dual Screen DVD Players? TIA

Personally, i will never buy Emerson again. We had a VCR that we bought about a year ago. You'd think that after all this time, VCRs would be fairly easy to make. We ended up sending it back 4 times. And it still doesnt work, we just got tired of shipping it! We spent more on shipping than the VCR!

Ok, DH and I were talking. We said a few months ago that we wanted to get us a DVD recorder this year. We have TONS of old VHS's that we don't want to have to buy the DVDs for. So we were hoping to transfer our VHS movies onto DVDs.

So my ? is this...DH is afraid if we buy a DVD recorder that doesn't have a VCR in with it that we won't be able to hook them up together to record the VHS onto DVD. I think that would be the whole point of a DVD recorder. Does anyone else have one and is this possible?

Are they hard to find? We just got a van and want to get one but I noticed on the Ads only Walmart has one on sale on BF. Does anyone know if Emerson is a good company for DVD Players? or Where else there will be Dual Screen DVD Players? TIA

We have Walmarts $250 one that comes with a video game controler with games on it for the second screen. LOVE it no problems so far. I know nothing about Emerson

Mara

Ok, DH and I were talking. We said a few months ago that we wanted to get us a DVD recorder this year. We have TONS of old VHS's that we don't want to have to buy the DVDs for. So we were hoping to transfer our VHS movies onto DVDs.

So my ? is this...DH is afraid if we buy a DVD recorder that doesn't have a VCR in with it that we won't be able to hook them up together to record the VHS onto DVD. I think that would be the whole point of a DVD recorder. Does anyone else have one and is this possible?

I haven't done it because my VCR is broke, but there are connections on the front of my ilo dvd recorder to attach cables from a VCR to copy to a disc. But remember, 1. Can I record from a commercially purchased DVDs or videocassettes?

Since duplicating copyrighted material is illegal, most commercially sold DVDs and VHS tapes are encoded with copy encryption, so they cannot be recorded by iLO recorders. You'll have to try and see.

I'm not sure if the Lite On is any good. I bought a ilo from Walmart last BF. Well it died a few days ago. And me being the fixer that I seem to think I am..lol.. (NOT) I opened it up and looked inside to see if there was something noticably wrong with it. I didnt see anything ,but I noticed it had Lite On parts inside. I guess ilo is one of their products also.

Just make sure whatever you get, keep the box and paperwork for warranty. My warranty isn't over yet, but they won't honor it without box and paperwork. :mad:

Why don't you do as a friend of mine did. He bought a duel layer 16X speed that writes DVD-r,DVD+r and both rw formats for his computer. He then downloaded DVD Shrink free and makes copies of all his DVD'S even the ones he rents.

DVDShrink works pretty well and you can preserve the picture quality and menu page that none of the DVD recorders can, however, the time it takes depending on the performance of your computer. I like it very much because you can remove/change the region code too.

Hey, I've been dying to get a DVD recorder too, but just found out some new info on them. From what I have read, the current DVD recorders will NOT be able to record any HD content. So if your like me and only have an HD over the air tuner, you still can't record any of your shows. It's a bummer. If anyone has onther information on this I'd love to find a way to get my HD content recorded on a DVD, even if its not the highest quality.

Unless you are planning to record just two hours to a DVD, the level of compression means you might as well record the non-HD channels instead? (especially if you have digital cable)

the vast majority of TV recording equipment do not support HDTV ... The ones that do, aren't going to be sold for under $100 on BF ........

@

If you have a really old (mono) VCR, you could use the RCA Video (yellow)output (and a splitter to convert the mono to stereo)

If you have a more recent VCR, then use the SVideo output from your VCR (together with the Left/Right (Red/White) Audio) and hook them into the input on the DVD-Recorder ...

Just make a note of the jacks on the back of the VCR, and tell the 1st idiot you find in RadioShack.

Personally, I wouldn't bother buying a DVD+VCR combo...

I'm assuming that your VHS collection is predominantly recorded TV? if so, where possible, plan on re-recording them from TV.

Remember, the DVD copy (of the VHS copy) will be lower quality than the VHS copy. (Digitization of low quality analog sources has a tendency to show highlight the low quality)

@shley

PS: in case anyone wonders, this is what I do to transfer from TiVo to a LiteOn LVW5005.

Hi Jennifer, I was looking at this one too. I like Emerson. I have not had any bad experiences. But I also wanted to tell you that there is a Buy 1 Get 1 free DVD player at Best Buy. I think the screens are smaller @ 4.2 but if you have 2 kids, they can watch 2 seperate movies at a time if they would like.

I believe it is 100 dollars.

Actually no, they are bought movies. Which shoplifter pointed out could cause a problem with recording them.

Err ... yeah ... that will be a problem with any unit

the combo units usually have two seperate subsystems internally, so will probably still have the restriction (ignoring the Fair Use laws which may or may not apply ... depending on your political persuation)

You could look at a box like this (only $70) if it is as good as it says, then it will remove the protection for you.

From a legal point, there is an arguement, that as long as you do not sell the originals, then you are making backups of the material. This is legal under the fair use law ...

What's less clear, is the legal issue of making a digital backup of a digital source (ie, using a computer to copy a DVD) ... theoretically, as long as you don't sell the original, you are just making a backup. However, if remove the copy protection from a DVD, then you are reverse engineering an encryption system, which is illegal. But since you are wanting to backup your VHS, then you don't have a (significant) legal issue as long as you don't sell/give away the originals.

@

We have Walmarts $250 one that comes with a video game controler with games on it for the second screen. LOVE it no problems so far. I know nothing about Emerson

Mara

The price on this one has been rolled back to $200. Might be a better choice for $50 more if the Emerson is not a dependable one.

The price on this one has been rolled back to $200. Might be a better choice for $50 more if the Emerson is not a dependable one.

Don't tell my brother he will be pissed lol. He got it for me. LUV my lil brother it keeps the kids sooooo quiet OMG worth its weight in GOLD on long drives:gd_purple

Mara

I don't plan to sell the originals or the copies. I would just like to have DVDs of the over 300 VHS's we have without having to rebuy all of them. That way we will have them for the portable DVD players and DVD player in the car.

Just remember, it takes a lot of time to copy these tapes to a DVD. A lot of time. 90-120 minutes per tape plus the cost of a DVD disc, 25 cents. Backing up, it sounds more fun then it is. I would suggest seeing if some are available at a pawn shop, garage sale, etc...Or a subscription to netflixx/walmart.

HTH(hope that helps)

Guest all2tired

Hi Jennifer, I was looking at this one too. I like Emerson. I have not had any bad experiences. But I also wanted to tell you that there is a Buy 1 Get 1 free DVD player at Best Buy. I think the screens are smaller @ 4.2 but if you have 2 kids, they can watch 2 seperate movies at a time if they would like.

I believe it is 100 dollars.

Do you happen to know which one it is?

Guest all2tired

I was looking around for info on it too. That's one of the things that was on my list. Somebody posted that best buys has a portable BOGO for $100.

I found one for $100 but there was no mention of BOGO.

PS: in case anyone wonders, this is what I do to transfer from TiVo to a LiteOn LVW5005.

thats what I want it for. just to copy blocks of Lost, Alias and put them on a DVD.

is it difficult to run tivo thru one? or do you just push PLAY from your menu and let it go.:crossfing

Mara

What kinds of games does it come with? Have you had any problems with your kids fighting over what to watch? My kids like the same things now, but in a few years who knows!!