* Official Black Friday TV / HDTV Thread *

ozziebandit

no one is interested in the 30" insignia from best buy? looks pretty good to me. only $400

I'm extremely interested in it. If the mysterious 26 inch westinghouse doesn't pan out (i'm hoping it's really the 27inch version on their site) I will be picking this one up. The only thing i'm dissappointed in is that it does not have HDMI or DVI. Those are going to be required for HD source display devices later. For instance Blu-ray players and the Playstation 3. They may down conver to 480p but will not display past that on component.

Scaling down in TV size here a bit, what do you all think of the value for the Polaroid 15" LCD HDTV from Walmart for $194.99 on BF?

[snip]

Is it a good value for the money? I noticed Walmart is not even listing it online - is there a reason for that? I saw Target has it listed as a web only item, so I have no idea where I might be able to go to view the picture quality in person. Any ideas?

It was previously listed. They may have removed the item and reallocated the stock from WalMart.com to WalMart Stores. As far as quality is concerned, it's probably about the same as the 15" Magnavox for $248. We have 16 on order at my store.

The 23" TV is a Symphonic -- cheap-ass brand of choice for Wal-Mart during the back-to-school and holiday season. We have 168 on order. You shouldn't have any problem picking up one of these. It took well over a week for us to sell through last years TV.

As for the 42" plasma, I couldn't find anything in our inventory system on it under Tatung, Petters (Polaroid), or Funai (Emerson, etc.). No other supplier seems likely, IMO. Mind you, I don't have any method of checking a master database.

Yeah I think I am going to go with the Toshiba 46" DLP

The brand Toshiba is great, the DLP tech. is great and you can't beat the price if $1499 with two years Intrest free financing. This is the best deal IMO.

Toshiba is a solid brand except for their latest tube tv widescreen lcds which aren't made by Toshiba at all but by Orion and have major issues. Not the case with the dlp or projections though.

Guest waltchan
Best Buy will offer the Insignia 32" for $199.99 while Sears will offer the Toshiba 32A35 for $279.99. If you haven't noticed, the Insignia 32" for $199.99 is actually made by Toshiba (Orion). It is not made by Insignia. This is definitely not a joke. Why spend $80 more for the Toshiba 32A35 at Sears when both of the 32" TVs are made by the same company and share the same reliability and quality. Put that extra $80 back into your wallet or purse and pick up the Insignia at Best Buy. Thanks for reading.

Guest waltchan
Best Buy will offer the Insignia 32" for $199.99 while Sears will offer the Toshiba 32A35 for $279.99. If you haven't noticed, the Insignia 32" for $199.99 is actually made by Toshiba (Orion). It is not made by Insignia. This is definitely not a joke. Why spend $80 more for the Toshiba 32A35 at Sears when both of the 32" TVs are made by the same company and share the same reliability and quality. Put that extra $80 back into your wallet or purse and pick up the Insignia at Best Buy. Thanks for reading.

Guest waltchan

Can anyone read the ad well enough to see what brand, model it is?:eyepoppin :eyepoppin :eyepoppin

Either Symphonic or SV2000. Both are made by Funai.

Even though Toshiba does have some models that are Orion, there are still some sets that are true Toshiba made with the quailty. If you want Orion buy Orion.

The name brands that are sold at Sears, Sears buys them from the manufacturers without any mfg. warranty, therefore, Sears is responsable for any "warranty repair" 90 days labor, 1 year parts, 2 years Picture tube.

Sooo did we ever figure out the right model for the Toshiba 46'' from Best Buy?

Check the BB ad scan and you will see the 46hm95 model #. Great tv at great price. Don't forget to factor in cost of replacement bulbs though. At CC extended warranty is a good deal because it covers bulb too. Don't know if BB extended warranty does.

Anyone have any opinions on how good the 51HC85 HD-Ready set is? Is this Toshiba unit just a bargain basement HD set, or is it a set that will be able to handle/view HD content for at least the next 5 years? How will the SD analog & digitial channels look. I am a little confused on what CrystalScan HDSC (All time 1080i) with User Selectable 540p means. I thought most HD sets have 480i, 480p, and 720p as well as 1080i. I will be using a Comcast Dual DVR/HD Capable box, and I don't think it has any picture setting for 540p. I know it has its own scaler though. I thought many HD programs right now are shown in 720p. I get the following HD channels: ABC-NBC-CBS-FOX-WB-ESPNHD-Comcast Sportsnet HD-INHD-INHD2-HBOHD-PBS-Disc.HD. Will these channels look like they are supposed to with just the 1080i or 540p? Also, how will the picture quailty of DVDs look on this set? And, how does this set compare with a Sony RPLCD unit like the 50A10. Right now the Best Buy web site has this set for $1799.99. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks!

Anyone have any opinions on how good the 51HC85 HD-Ready set is? Is this Toshiba unit just a bargin basement HD set, or is it a set that will be able to handle/view HD content for at least the next 5 years? How will the SD analog & digitial channels look. I am a little confused on what CrystalScan HDSC (All time 1080i) with User Selectable 540p means. I thought most HD sets have 480i, 480p, and 720p as well as 1080i. I will be using a Comcast Dual DVR/HD Capable box, and I don't think it has any picture setting for 540p. I know it has its own scaler though. I thought many HD programs right now are shown in 720p. I get the following HD channels: ABC-NBC-CBS-FOX-WB-ESPNHD-Comcast Sportsnet HD-INHD-INHD2-HBOHD-PBS-Disc.HD. Will these channels look like they are supposed to with just the 1080i or 540p? Also, how will the picture quailty of DVDs look on this set? And, how does this set compare with a Sony RPLCD unit like the 50A10. Right now the Best Buy web site has this set for $1799.99. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks!

It depends on your definition of bargain basement. That toshiba model is missing some features that the somewhat more expensive toshiba sets have, tuners, card slots etc. However, it provides a picture as good as any non dlp toshiba projector (unlike the lcd market where the cheaper brands have noticeably inferior pictures), has plenty of inputs, hdmi which will serve you well in the future. It's as capable as any tv of meeting your HD needs well into the future. Don't worry about the 540p, it has enough compatible modes.

TvBob,

Someone on the AVS Forum told me that how a CRT RP set ends up looking in your home has a lot to do with how much rattling it has endured in the shipping process. And that a well calibrated CRT RPTV is very nice to look at and can easily hold its own and more against the digital RP displays. My question is how is this calibrating done? Do you just adjust all the on screen settings once you get the TV, or if the set is rattled during shipping the setting adjustments won't help any and you would need a service call to fix the picture quality. Thanks.

It depends on your definition of bargain basement. That toshiba model is missing some features that the somewhat more expensive toshiba sets have, tuners, card slots etc. However, it provides a picture as good as any non dlp toshiba projector (unlike the lcd market where the cheaper brands have noticeably inferior pictures), has plenty of inputs, hdmi which will serve you well in the future. It's as capable as any tv of meeting your HD needs well into the future. Don't worry about the 540p, it has enough compatible modes.

A dumb question: what is HDMI input? I plan to buy a TV and trying my best to educate myself.

I wouldn't know, I guess I've been lucky but all my tvs have been in good shape picture wise when they arrived. You can do basic picture adjustments in the main menus but they are also hidden service menus that you can often access fur further fine tuning, and the avs people can help you with this. But really the need for this adjusting is overblown, keep in mind the people at avs are very fussy when it comes to what type of picture they want. I actually have found more adjusting needs to be done on lcd panels to adjust for the problems that these displays have with black levels and such.

A dumb question: what is HDMI input? I plan to buy a TV and trying my best to educate myself.

HDMI is the latest standard for how to connect high definition sources, like dvds players, receievers etc with the highest quality. There are already devices like dvd players that have hdmi outputs and many more should be appearing over the next several years.

Hey Guys

I am a Black Friday shopper.I was here in this forum last year and I went to Compusa at 2am for the advertised Daewoo 42 EDTV for $1600

Myself and my buddy were the first people there.We got the first and second tickets.

They open the store at 6pm and we go to the counter and pay for it.We got the receipt and then they tell us that they had 2 set and they went missing/could not locate them.

Then 2 families come at 9pm (they were not in the the line at 2am to 6am)

They were know to the salesmen and they bought the 2 EDTv's.

We tried to protest but the manager assures us that they have plenty of Daewoos in the Godown and that we can pick it up later.

We went back home and they told us later in the evening that they dont have any in the godown and we had to wait for weeks-to cut the long story short -after 60 days we called to see what was going on and then the manager told that the EDTVs are ready.

We get a pickup truck and go from PA to Delaware(Where the store was located) then they tell that the Tvs are not daewoo but some! malaysian brand

The saga went on,we complained to the Better Business Bureau but nothing happened and at the end after a struggle we got the money back.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME IN COMPUSA

ice