* Official Black Friday TV / HDTV Thread *

ozziebandit

So, if I just wanted to replace my 31", 12 year old Hitachi, with something just for average TV viewing, the Wal Mart Plasma would not be worth it? All I will have hooked up to it is a Direct TV receiver (non HD).

I will be buying a 56" Sammy DLP for my basement in the future :-)

:g_shrug:

Still no definition for what is ED-Oh well I don't need to know anyway--I already have two HD's.

ED=Enhanced Definition...I'm going for the 42" magnavox HDTV Plasma. I'll get there around 2:00 AM, surely that's early enough to ensure getting one...Too bad they won't have any XBOX 360's in stock to go with the Plasma...

Still no definition for what is ED-Oh well I don't need to know anyway--I already have two HD's.

I thought we had pretty covered this in this thread but

ED is enhanced definition. It's not capable of quite as high resolutions as HD but many consider it a better value because there just aren't many high resolution sources out there where you can see a clear difference and standard definition sources like non hdtv actually look a bit better on lower resolution sets. Current dvds look just as good as with hdtvs because they encoded at a resolution edtvs allow for. Even higher definition sources look nearly as good on edtvs and much better than regular tvs. This may change in a few years.

EDTVs are not limited to plasmas, but this is now the most common format for them.

If you already have a lot of hd channels you watch you probably want to lean toward hdtv. But I can not stress enough you are better off getting a higher end edtv than a lower end hdtv. I would get a panasonic edtv over the magnavox BF hdtv for instance. EDTVS are not cheap versions of hdtv plasmas, there are very good ones and not so good ones just like with hdtvs. Some edtvs are better than hdtv dlp projections, lcds, and some are not. EDTv plasmas like all plasmas are most comparable to lcd tvs because they are flat.

You are not throwing your money away. At this point, HD tv looks only marginally better on hdtv compared to edtvs of the same calibar. I would venture at the pace that HD has entered the market, that will be very much the case for at least the next two years until more channels are available and broadcasts are at higher resolutions.

Furthermore, the only thing that could count as a standard tube set that is 42 or 50 inches are older projections, which still take up considerably more space than flat panels. People want a big screen that doesn't take up space, though tubes still have many advantages over all plasmas and lcs (not projections so much though, smaller crts).

15 ft is an exagerration, most people don't sit that far away from their set. But again, you will not see any differences in coloring unless you are comparing an hdtv source with a very high resolution. Up closer, hdtvs look worse than edtvs with standard sources. But coloring is more a product of how quality a model is, not whether it's hd or not.

I don't really see what your disagreement with me was. I never denied that an hdtv plasma will have advantages with high definition sources, but for many consumers this difference simply isn't enough or they don't plan on viewing enough HD sources to justify the large difference in price.

Most dvd sources broadcast at edtv native resolution. There really is no advantage at all with hdtv plasmas when it comes to watching the vast majority of dvds on the market. Nothing plays dvds better than the panny edtvs. Again, the quality of the model is most important not whether its edtv or hdtv. My friend just bought a philips 42 inch plasma hdtv and even he admits that my edtv plays dvds better.

The bottom line is if you generally purchase a medium priced tv every 4 or 5 years, you will be fine with an edtv. If you plan on using tv for much longer than that as your main set (most people just move the lesser tv to a smaller room), you should consider an hdtv now.

Can't agree with you. A couple of years ago I might suggest EDTV to someone, but not now with prices of full HDTV sets as low as they are. Xbox 360 is fully HD compatible and the PS3 with Blu-Ray disc playback comes out just next year. With HD starting to really hit it's stride in both the Cable and Satellite market and HD-DVD and Blu-Ray both launching this coming year (like I said,Playstation 3 will feature BRD playback) it would not be a prudent move to buy a ED TV. Your average consumer does not replace their TV's every 4 years, more like 6 to 8 years and they will be regretting their EDTV purchase come next year. Consumers need to shop smarter and start future proofing themselves better.

EDTV falls between SDTV(standard definition) and HDTV, where ED is 480p (p=progressive scan) and HD is 720p resolution. From a distance it is hard to really tell the difference between the two. Up close you can see where HD is superior. Still EDTV is way better than your standard tv...

Can't agree with you. A couple of years ago I might suggest EDTV to someone, but not now with prices of full HDTV sets as low as they are. Xbox 360 is fully HD compatible and the PS3 with Blu-Ray disc playback comes out just next year. With HD starting to really hit it's stride in both the Cable and Satellite market and HD-DVD and Blu-Ray both launching this coming year (like I said,Playstation 3 will feature BRD playback) it would not be a prudent move to buy a ED TV. Your average consumer does not replace their TV's every 4 years, more like 6 to 8 years and they will be regretting their EDTV purchase come next year. Consumers need to shop smarter and start future proofing themselves better.

HDtv is hardly hitting it's stride, basically all predictions for how widespread it would be have lagged far behind. More and more people are using dish or directv and they will not be offering local networks in HD in some places for several more years. Both of these look much better on edtvs. Even those with the most HD channels already still watch 80 percent standard tv and that percentage will not be dramatically lowered anytime soon. For many it comes down to whether you want to wait who knows how long for a fairly minor improvement in hdtv reception or enjoy a decent sdtv picture on edtv plasmas which is what we watch most as well as great dvd viewing for quite some time. I seriously doubt blue ray or hd dvds are going to make an real impact for years to come, just like what happens when most updated technologies arrive on the scene and struggle.

"Your average consumer does not replace their TV's every 4 years, more like 6 to 8 years and they will be regretting their EDTV purchase come next year"

Most Americans that can afford plasmas have multiple tvs in multiple rooms, and I doubt it takes them 6 to 8 years to replace any of those tvs and move the older tvs to the smaller rooms. If you have 3 tvs in 3 rooms, chances are you are going to replace one of them sooner than that. Next year is a stretch, I don't think hd is going to be nearly as widespread as you think for considerably longer than that, especially when cable keeps losing its customers to satellite.

All plasmas have come down in price, but to get a middle of the road plasma hdtv (magnavox is not middle of the road) like philips for example, you still are going to have to pay 2 grand or more. You can get a top of the line plasma edtv for 700 or more less, but both are very significant purchases.

And technically, you need a 50 incher to truly enjoy an hdtv picture.

2 years is ago is not a relevant comparison because both edtvs and hdtv plasmas have dramatically evolved since then.

EDTVs are not being purchased by dumb uninformed consumers. Just check out avsforums, some of the highest tech gurus over there purchase them and believe a high end edtv is the way to go for the majority of consumers.

I would agree hdtv plasmas would be the easy choice if edtvs did not have advantages over them related to more than just cost. People buy tvs to watch tv for the most part, and sdtv will be more prevalant than hdtv for a long time to come, which edtvs have a distinct advantage with.

I talked to someone at WalMart about 20 minutes ago who confirmed that the "Viore V42PD45M 42" HD Ready 16:9 Widescreen Plasma with speakers & stand" will be sold for the $968 price. However, you have to arrive 3 hours prior, which I might end up doing just for that sexy tv.

Can anyone convince me NOT to do this?

Alot of the BF items just started goign for sale on walmart.com, and as for the plasma, this is what's up on their site right now for 997.

Viore 42" Plasma EDTV w/ Integrated ATSC Digital Tuner

42" ED Plasma with Built in ATSC Tuner, 16:9 Aspect Ratio, 852 x 480 Resolution, 3000:1 Contrast Ratio, DVI

V42PD16EA

Completely ruins that deal.

Guest lolwtfbbq
so the toshiba 51HC85 cant use just normal cable? dangit, i was going to buy that one tomorrow. oh well, better keep searching.

Its on sale on the site right now.

I went to BB's site to check on ordering the 42" Magnavox, but for some reason I can't order it, as it says special delivery not available in my area and it also says not available for in store pick-up. Doesn't make sense. Oh well, I guess I'll be waiting outside Best Buy tonight to ensure getting one...

Alot of the BF items just started goign for sale on walmart.com, and as for the plasma, this is what's up on their site right now for 997.

Viore 42" Plasma EDTV w/ Integrated ATSC Digital Tuner

42" ED Plasma with Built in ATSC Tuner, 16:9 Aspect Ratio, 852 x 480 Resolution, 3000:1 Contrast Ratio, DVI

V42PD16EA

Completely ruins that deal.

- The ad said it was going ot be $968 I thought? But it sure isn't looking good!!!!!!

I was thinking about getting the Philips 51" at Circuit City tomorrow for 800... Ive never had a projection tv before.. Can you see it from enough angles around the room if you have a sofa love seat set up in a L type?? Can you get pretty good standard TV?? any info fast would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking about getting the Philips 51" at Circuit City tomorrow for 800... Ive never had a projection tv before.. Can you see it from enough angles around the room if you have a sofa love seat set up in a L type?? Can you get pretty good standard TV?? any info fast would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking at the same one. Any info would be great. Just so you know, it's 800 after rebate. 900 before.

I thought the Wal Mart Plasma was not going to be on sale online until 5am on Friday?? It now says to buy online but says it's out of stock. Is it reall out of stock or are they just saying that until 5am this Friday?

- They just have it out now to let everyone know it is going to be the EDTV one, and not the one everyone thought it was going to be.

I thought the Wal Mart Plasma was not going to be on sale online until 5am on Friday?? It now says to buy online but says it's out of stock. Is it reall out of stock or are they just saying that until 5am this Friday?

I'm curious about this too. Also, how are plasma screen TVs, I hate the idea of dropping $1000+ on a TV that will burn out in 3 years.

I read though another forums where some of the members owned the Viore Plasma TV, and they were very mixed about it. For some it was flawless and ran great, but for others it played like crap and/or it totaly dropped dead on them. That was enough for me to decide against buying it.

I'll hold off for now on buying a plasma TV for now.