Is it just me or?

tokanm

In the past we had way more holiday recipes posted/shared and craft ideas and pictures? I loved going to that forum and seeing what people were baking and were crafting. I got so many good ideas. IIRC it was a very active topic and it was just a treasure trove of activities. I liked that people posted their menus for the holidays and home made gift suggestions etc. Just thinking and wondering if I was the only one missing that this year. Holy cow Christmas Eve is a week from tomorrow and

Hanukkah starts in 4 nights :shock: Wow how did this happen? lol

OK lets revive these old ideas!

my personal fav Holiday site www.northpole.com awesome recipes and things to do for all ages.

Wow those pics are so clear..nice job. What type of camera did you get?

Rebel T3 I am not used to it yet, more bells and whistles then my other which was T2

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/374935_2296150326481_1330776583_31850203_2120327696_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/377874_2296152766542_1330776583_31850207_776988002_n.jpg

OK here goes my CHristmas day meal is:

Spiral ham

broccoli/cheese casserole

loaded mashed potatoes

garden salad

veggie tray

fruit tray

cheese tray

nuts and crackers

egg nog

cheesecake

pumpkin gingerbread mousse

and of course diet mt dew lol

I made a lot of new cookies this year!

These are red velvet crinkles or something, but I renamed them Santa's Bottom...looks like he fell in the snow! Red velvet and peppermint!

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/388575_2780352757304_1512746408_32815800_855644105_a.jpg

Grinch cookies- mint chocolate chip

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/384634_2780354197340_1512746408_32815802_841135057_n.jpg

Nutella Peanut Butter Swirls

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/383679_2780354357344_1512746408_32815803_1087647552_n.jpg

Lemon Drop

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/387563_2780354437346_1512746408_32815804_754989828_n.jpg

Homemade Nutella/Hazelnut Truffles- first time making truffles!

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/392228_2780355717378_1512746408_32815808_1842101896_n.jpg

Cookie Dough truffles...sooooo good!

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/387321_2780355917383_1512746408_32815809_316276036_n.jpg

If you want the recipe for any, let me know!

Sure! I found almost all of these on pinterest!

Peanut Butter & Nutella Swirl Cookies

Adapted from: Sweetest Kitchen

Ingredients

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened

3/4 cup smooth peanut butter

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

Approx. 1/4 cup Nutella

Directions

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Combine butter, peanut butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla. Mix until well blended.

Add flour, baking soda and salt. Drizzle Nutella on top of the dough then swirl it through the dough with a butter knife.

Chill dough 15 minutes in the refrigerator. Roll into balls by hand. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet. Using a fork, press down the balls to flatten slightly. Bake until edges are very lightly browned (about 7 to 10 minutes).

Allow to rest 2 minutes on cookie sheet before transferring cookies to a cooling rack.

Cookie Dough Truffles

chocolate chip cookie dough truffles

Makes approx. 3-4 dozen. Recipe from Love and Olive Oil.

ingredients:

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp baking soda

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1/3 cup milk or soy milk

1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

14 oz dark chocolate candy coating

directions:

Beat butter and sugars in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add milk and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt and mix on low speed (or stir by hand) until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips.

Cover and chill dough for 1 hour.

When dough is firm enough to handle, form dough into 1″ balls and arrange on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Place sheets in freezer and let chill for 30 minutes.

Melt chocolate candy coating in microwave according to package directions. Using toothpicks as a dipping tool, dip cookie balls into candy coating to cover. Tap on side of pan to remove any excess coating, and return to waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Chill until set. Store, chilled, in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

The other truffle was from a Martha Stewart cookbook I have, let me see if I can find it online!

I can't find it online, but here it is- from the Martha Stewart Living Christmas Cookbook

1 cup heavy cream

4 tbs melted unsalted butter

2 tbs corn syrup

1 pound semi sweet chocolate, plus another 12 ounces for dipping (I used 16)

1/4 cup nutella

2 1/2 cups chopped toasted hazelnuts for rolling

1. Make ganache: In small saucepan bring cream, butter and corn syrup to boil. Turn off heat. Add 1 pound of chocolate but do not stir. Gently swirl pan to cover the chocolate with the cream. Let stand 5 minutes and then slowly wisk until combined. Add the nutella at this point, wisking in slowly.

2. Transfer mixture to large bowl and place in fridge. Stir every 15 minutes. After 45 minutes then stir every 3-5 until thick enough to scoop with spoon. Consistency should be similar to pudding.

3. Using 2 spoons or scoop form 1" balls and transfer to parchment lined sheet. Refrigerate until firm but not hard- about 10 minutes. Remove, squeeze with fingers to soften gently, reshape and then back into fridge until ready to dip.

4. Fill saucepan 1/4 full of water, bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Place the remaining 12 ounces of chocolate in med heatproof bowl set over simmering water. Stir until melted, remove from heat let cool slightly.

5. Have another sheet lined with parchment. Remove truffle balls from fridge. Using one hand dip the ball into the melted chocolate and roll hand evenly to coat. Let excess drip back into bowl. Drop ball into chopped hazelnuts. Let sit in bowl about 20 seconds, pick up and roll in hand to coat evenly.

6. Set prepared truffle on parchment lined sheet. Refrigerate for 5 minutes.

I pretty much followed this to a T except we left the ganache in the fridge a little longer than anticipated so it was a little harder than expected but it softened up really quickly. They came out great!

Rebel T3 I am not used to it yet, more bells and whistles then my other which was T2

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/374935_2296150326481_1330776583_31850203_2120327696_n.jpg

I noticed your Christmas count down calendar behind rudolph. Is that the one with the little mouse? That's the same we have. I've had it since I was a kid. I've never seen another one like it. It's prob. over 30 years old.

No problem! Here are the others!

Grinch Cookies

INGREDIENTS:

1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon mint extract

6 to 8 drops green food color

1 egg

1 cup creme de menthe baking chips

1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter, extract, food color and egg until soft dough forms. Stir in creme de menthe baking chips and chocolate chunks.

2. Using small cookie scoop or teaspoon, drop dough 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool 3 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Serve warm or cool completely. Store tightly covered at room temperature.

Santa's Bottom

Red Velvet Peppermint Crinkle Cookies

makes about 36

1 box Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake

6 T butter

2 eggs

1 tsp peppermint extract

1/2 C crushed peppermint or candy canes

1 C powdered sugar

1 tsp cornstarch

Preheat the oven to 375°. Melt the butter and set aside to cool. In a large bowl, mix together the cooled butter, cake mix, eggs and peppermint extract. Add in the crushed peppermint and stir. In a shallow dish, mix together the powdered sugar and cornstarch with a fork.

Form dough into balls (this was really tricky, it does not form...I used a tablespoon full of dough and used a spoon to dish it out into the powdered sugar). Drop into the powdered sugar. Cook for 9 minutes. They still look a little doughy, but they are perfect after setting for a few minutes!

Lemon Drop

1 (18.25 ounce) package lemon cake mix

2 eggs

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon lemon extract

1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

Pour cake mix into a large bowl. Stir in eggs, oil, and lemon extract until well blended. Drop teaspoonfuls of dough into a bowl of confectioners' sugar. Roll them around until they're lightly covered. Once sugared, put them on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 6 to 9 minutes in the preheated oven. The bottoms will be light brown, and the insides chewy.

Another fun cookie we always made growing up were "church windows". You just melt chocolate chips with butter. Then pour over colored marshmallows. You can roll all of that in chopped nuts, or coconut. Then roll into a log in wax paper and refrigerate. Once hardened you slice cookies off of the log and the mix between the chocolate and colored marshmallows looks like a stained glass window. They are cheap and easy, and kids love them!

Would it be unreasonable to call management and tell them I would like my Galley Kitchen (ie: tiny, tiny) replaced with a new one with granite, slate floors and tons of counter space and a central island? My kitchen is too small to do anything...arghhhh

Today I made:

Kahlua, I used this recipe with a couple minor alterations http://www.ehow.com/how_2069432_make-kahlua.html I've wanted to try it ever since someone on here posted about it earlier this year

2 batches no-flour peanut butter cookies, instead of a hershey kiss in the center I added chocolate chips and made pb choc chip cookies

and chocolates, I melted a brick of vanilla (white) chocolate bark and smashed up a couple candy canes and mixed them in and poured it into candy molds

Today I made:

Kahlua, I used this recipe with a couple minor alterations http://www.ehow.com/how_2069432_make-kahlua.html I've wanted to try it ever since someone on here posted about it earlier this year

2 batches no-flour peanut butter cookies, instead of a hershey kiss in the center I added chocolate chips and made pb choc chip cookies

and chocolates, I melted a brick of vanilla (white) chocolate bark and smashed up a couple candy canes and mixed them in and poured it into candy molds

I will have to try that kahlua recipe! What modifications did you make to it?

I googled and must have read 20+ recipes and they were all different so I wasn't afraid to play with the recipe a little. Some recipes started with coffee and some started with water and some with espresso. Some said to use cheap vodka and some said to use expensive. Some had vanilla beans and some just had vanilla extract. The sugar to water / liquid ratio varied with the recipes too. Some used a different alcohol base.

I made really strong coffee and used 2 cups of the coffee in place of the water and then I added 7 Taster's Choice individual cup packets to the coffee (not sure how much this would measure out to be). I bought the cheapest 1.75 liter bottle of vodka Sams Club had, and I didn't have vanilla beans so I didn't put any in.

I tried a sip of it last night and you could taste the vodka but it had a really good flavor, I think once it sits for a few weeks the flavors will blend together nicely, but I don't think it will be as thick as Kahlua. I poured it into canning jars because I'm going to give a couple of them out for gifts, it made exactly 6 pints.

I made jam this summer and am going to make a couple baskets with the Kahlua, jam, Christmas cookies and anything else that I come up with this week.

I'm trying to find a recipe for dog treats that has ingredients that I already have around the house.