Kindle Fire is it worth it

mommyx3

The Kindle Fire sounds great. It all depends on what you plan on using it for. If only as an ereader then I would go with a regular Kindle or Nook e-ink reader, which are the ones you have no problem reading on in bright sunlight. If you want something that can search the web (more like a portable computer) then the Kindle Fire could be a way to go or even a Nook tablet at $50 more.

I was going to get the Fire had it on pre-order and was doing as much research as possible. I decided not to go with the Fire but with a regular tablet for 3 main reasons. Fire only has 8gb of memory (yes you can store content in the cloud) but you have to have wifi to access the cloud and when we are on the road we sometimes don't have wifi until we reach where we are staying or stop at say a McDonalds. 8gb is really not a lot of space to store a lot of movies for long trips etc. You cannot increase the memory on the fire by adding a SD or microSD card to it. The Fire does not have a camera. The nook is very similar to the Fire but you can increase the memory on the Nook Tablet and also on the Nook ereaders.

I ended up getting a 10" tablet with all those things for $20 more for my DD who the Fire originally was for. If in the future Amazon updates or introduces another version of the Fire with those things included I will be first in line. The Fire has the capability to stream movies via Amazon and that is something that I do quite frequently. ON top of that customer service at Amazon is great.

I would suggest that you go on Amazon and check out the forum and see what people are saying about the Fire, there have been many posts saying that people were returning it due to my concerns above, there are also many people who absolutely love it. I would also research other tablets (if tablets is the way you want to go) and see what they have to offer. I purchased the Acer Iconia A500 16gb and the Asus Transformer 16gb for my two kids. Both were deals that I got on Black Friday. Yesterday BestBuy had up the Acer Iconia 8gb for $229 with a $10 gift card so that would make it $30 more than the Fire. I am sure there will be other deals coming up or that one may come back in stock.

If you have any other questions ask away. I hope I was able to help you.

CAlling it a kindle is misleading. It is a tablet. It has a reading app on it, but it is not strictly an ereader. You buy apps, download music, stream movies, etc with it. It is more comparable according to amazon forums to an IPOD TOUCH, only larger. It is not like an IPAD, it is a media use device. I bought my son one, he was very excited to get it. GO to the product pages and read about the various kindles to know which one you want.

I have a fire..

Here is my take. I own a Kindle Keyboard and LOVE it. The Fire was a gift from my DH for my birthday. I use it daily. If you are just reading.. I would not recomend it. However, if you want to do more than read it is wonderful. You have Many apps (including hulu and netflix) You can do the movies through Amazon. I have done this several times and it is great quality. I also check my facebook and twitter from the Fire as well.

I had it home for Thanksgiving and my Dad loved it so much he got one for my mom.

My take on storage:

The above poster is correct, however for me it is not an issue. I do not travel very long distances that I would be unable to access something that I needed from the cloud. We took a four hour trip over the Thanksgiving and I had a move, some books and my apps. I still did not use them all. If you DH travels long distances without wifi access it would be something to consider. When we got to the hotel I connected to the wifi and switched off some things before we returned home. It was quite simple.

If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them.

If he is looking for a "cheaper Ipad" this is not it. Many people have been disappointed because that is what they thought they were getting. You have to know going into it what it is and what it is best used for.

It has been excellent for us as well

Have used it as an ereader, movie player, and handheld game....Swim meets it was wonderful as well as at practice. Have our entire team in it and can contact/post/update stats and facebook from it.

The daily free app has barely dinged into my storage. If you truly are in BFE and dont have wifi it may be an issue but since every McDs, hotel, subway, etc all offer free wifi I can always find someone to piggyback off of....folks saying that for vacations it wouldnt work must vacation different then us cause anywhere that I am not within 15 minutes of a wifi source isnt a vacation

<---- Not a wilderness girl LOL

It has been excellent for us as well

Have used it as an ereader, movie player, and handheld game....Swim meets it was wonderful as well as at practice. Have our entire team in it and can contact/post/update stats and facebook from it.

The daily free app has barely dinged into my storage. If you truly are in BFE and dont have wifi it may be an issue but since every McDs, hotel, subway, etc all offer free wifi I can always find someone to piggyback off of....folks saying that for vacations it wouldnt work must vacation different then us cause anywhere that I am not within 15 minutes of a wifi source isnt a vacation

<---- Not a wilderness girl LOL

I think the issue is when you are in the car traveling or on the plane, etc. Or for example, when we are at meets, there isn't always free wifi, which is where my DD would use it most. I want to be able to store huge amounts of data to the drive, not the cloud. I'm waiting on the next generation to see if they have one with larger storage.

I LOVE my kindle fire!!! I use it for reading books, magazines, watching movies and Tv shows, all of the great apps and going o.line. I use it several times a day YOu wont regret getting one if you have wi-fi.

I second this, my dh gave me mine this week, he couldn't wait for Christmas. I absolutely love it. I've already downloaded a few free books, including water for elephants from the lending library which you can use with amazon prime (you get a free trial of amazon prime). It's great for going online also. I love the versatility of it.