Help! Which game system is better?

Shonette

So, if I understand correctly from everything here, if I'm not into action/sports games and this is not going to be for kids, PS2 would be the best bet for a first time purchase?

Here's an easier way to decide. Buy the system based on the games your kids love to play.

Why buy an Xbox when your kids favorite games are for the PlayStation?

if u have the money than u can either get the PS3 or the XBOX 360 lol. i personally have a PS2 and Gamecube. gamecube is particularly for kids. PS2 and XBOX are for teens and adults depending on the games. but people like XBOX for games like HALO and i have a ps2 because the online play is free. while we're on the game system subject, im lookin for PSP sales for BF. can any one have me?

plz get back 2 me on aim: boardslide540

We have every game system except for XBox. My kids ages range from 2-13. The younger ones love the gamecube, they enjoy the Zelda games. I haven't really noticed much of a difference in the 2 systems, but I guess I haven't really paid that much attention. DH prefers the PS2, he likes playing the Madden games online. I enjoy RPG games & they both have a pretty good variety, though PS2 seems to have more.

So, if I understand correctly from everything here, if I'm not into action/sports games and this is not going to be for kids, PS2 would be the best bet for a first time purchase?

What kind of games do you like to play? Will you be taking the system online? IMO, if you like RPGs the best, especially Japanese ones, the PS2 is your best bet. If however, you like shooting games, Xbox is your best bet. Both systems have excellent racers out there as well as sports (but you're not interested in sports).

Xbox is Live ready out of the box, but you have to pay like $50 or $60 for the year for it. What's nice about it though is, say they put out extra content for a game. You at that time can decide if you want to pay $5.00 for the download. It keeps developers working on the game and it makes that game that much more appealing to you. IMO, it really lets you play games for a longer period of time and I think it makes the initial investment go that much further.

If you want to take the PS2 online, some tout that you don't have any fees to pay. While this is certainly true, you will need to invest in a modem as well as a hard drive for the PS2. Add it up, and I'd bet it was around the same if not more to take it online than the yearly dues for Xbox Live. Especially now when you consider the PS3 is right around the corner. I doubt you'd get much use from it.

I just feel you should buy whichever system is going to suit you the best. It may take a little homework on your part to determine which that might be, but it will be so worth it in the end.

Check out http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp and see how the games stack up. Enter in Xbox, PS2, or Gamecube. Off to the left there is a search box. You can type in any game and you can read the various reviews from gaming sites. My two personal favorites are IGN and GameSpot.

Well, we have all 3 (I guess 4 actually as we have the PS One and PS 2). I had to asked the DH though, as I don't really use them. He says that depending on what types of games you will be focusing on will determine which one is best. PS is great for Role Playing games. X box is good for shooter type games; action games. Game cube is good for other types like Mario brothers and Monkey ball type games. My son, 8, plays all 4 though. He doesn't really prefer any one over the other. If I didn't have any of them, I would just go with a combination of the best deal and the one that supported the games that they wanted. Many games though are available for more than one or all. Hope this helps.

Check out http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp and see how the games stack up. Enter in Xbox, PS2, or Gamecube. Off to the left there is a search box. You can type in any game and you can read the various reviews from gaming sites. My two personal favorites are IGN and GameSpot.

Rayny thanks for the great info and the site. And thanks everyone else as well. Sounds like ps2 is my best bet. I'm not into shooter/sports games and will most likely not play online.

Again thanks everyone!!! :)