Help! Which game system is better?

Shonette

Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are each coming out with a new system within the next year or so. Microsoft's new XBox 360 will be out on the 22nd of November, The Sony PlayStation 3 will be out in the spring maybe, and the Nintendo Revolution will most likely be out in the fall. So most likely there will be deals on the curent models.

As for which is better, that really depends on what your kids like, as each system has advantages and disadvantages.

PS2 - Oldest of the three current generation systems, largest selection of games, fully backward compatable with PS games, and accessories, can go online, but each game can require a fee or not. (Not all games support online)

XBox - Newer hardware than the PS2, smaller selection of games than the PS2, goes online (49/yr fee, works with all online games), supports four players with out a multiplayer adapter, largest weight of the three systems.

GameCube - Slower than the XBox, but faster than the PS2. Has a number of multiplayer games, has a number of games that are unique to the system. More kid friendly than either the PS2 or XBox.

XBox 360 - Comming out this month, in limited supply, expensive $299/$399 with no games. Newest technology, all games will go online. Will be backwards compatible with select XBox Games

PS3 and the Revolution have not been released and most information about them can be changed.

I'm 23 and have a PS2 and a GameCube, I play the GameCube more than the PS2. I also have an XBox 360 ordered.

The way I understand it is ..... X-BOX is better for sports games. PS2 is better for role playing games and Gamecube is better for kid oriented games. PS2 has alot more games then the others and with the XBOX 360 coming out I am sure they will cut back on the games they make for the regular XBOX. Hope it helps

My vote is for the Gamecube. Multiplayer is great, especially for families.

Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Super Smash Bros, and the new Mario Dance Revolution

are all very fun. My wife actually plays these with me. Most of the sports

game found on the PS2 are also available on the GC.

C Snyder

My vote is for the Gamecube. Multiplayer is great, especially for families.

Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Super Smash Bros, and the new Mario Dance Revolution

are all very fun. My wife actually plays these with me. Most of the sports

game found on the PS2 are also available on the GC.

C Snyder

Do you like DDR Mario Mix? We are thinking of getting it, but dont have a DDR or the PS2. This will be our 1st one. I think the kids will really enjoy it, and heck, maybe I can loose some weight!lol

I had the playstation 2 for a couple yrs for my son. All of his friends had gamecube so we traded in all of his games and old playstation for the gamecube and a few new games for it. Gamecube is much better for young children, all the mario bros games are made only for gamecube and those have ended up to be my five yo faves. I have to say gamecube is better.

We have our PS2. We love it and have always had great customer support through them. Its been a long time since I owned a nintendo product but can remember some choice words over a SNES once LOL. I am sure improvments were mad since then.

We enjoy the games available but there is a lacking of multiplayer games for it so if it is to be a shared gift the systems that offer the more "save the princess" style with 2p option maybe better for you.

I have all 3 systems with alot of games on each. If there will be no online play, go with the Gamecube. If you want online play, go with ps2 (it's free.)

I would rather have the Xbox 360 which doesnt seem is an option in your case. This is only my opinion though.

PS2 is my personal favorite system, but for kids IMO the Gamecube is probably the best choice.

Since there are three of them, you can get Mario Party and three controllers and all three of them can play. PS2 offers some multi-player games, but Gamecube beats the PS2 in that department. Just about all its good games are multiplayer.

Supersmash Brothers, just about any Mario game (mario baseball, mario party, mario tennis). Kids will fight for the controller. I know when I was a kid, id fight for the nintendo controller LOL

Do you like DDR Mario Mix? We are thinking of getting it, but dont have a DDR or the PS2. This will be our 1st one. I think the kids will really enjoy it, and heck, maybe I can loose some weight!lol

Yes I do, my wife and I both enjoy it. I have found the harder settings to be

more difficult than what Gamespot has given it credit for. I just wish the extra

dance pads were already available.

C Snyder

My DH has PS2 and the GC. I bought him the GC two years ago at Walmart on BF for $79. It's true there aren't as many games for the GC but there are some good ones, esp. if you like the Mario games (my brother and I used to play them on the Super NES back in the 80s/90s, so all the Mario games make me nostalgic).

If I were going to buy one system right now for actual children (not grown ones, lol) I'd buy the GC. Like a lot of other posters have said, it has kid-friendly games (esp. if you like Mario!) and a nice price point. I think there's a good bundle deal coming up next week at TRU; you might want to do a search of some of the other threads.

If you don't need the system for the holidays, then I'd wait and get one of the next generations systems coming out soon.

We have PS 2 and Gamecube. The DH uses the PS 2 and the kids use the Gamecube. My kids are DD 12, DS 7 and DD 3. Actually my son uses the PS 2 also but it depends on what games your kids like. We also have 3 gameboy advances and my DD just saved up and bought the DS.

If you like the sport games I would say the PS 2 or XBox 360 (the graphics are suppose to be awesome on it). If your kids already have the gameboys they are probably use to certain characters. Look at the games they are playing now and it will help you figure out what would be best. The gamecube is the least expensive considering you can get the $50 games bundled with the gamecube for $99.

Glad we are not the only ones with multiple systems in the house.

GameCube - best kids games (Mario, Zelda, etc), but technically inferior to the other 2 systems in my opinion.

PS2 - most games available, oldest system of the 3, technically inferior to XBox.

XBox - most advanced system of the 3, game selection less than PS2, more 'adult' games, rather than games geared for younger players. Best internet enabled multiplayer games.

The Xbox is my preference, but you really have to look at your needs. For younger kids, I would definitely go with the GameCube, especially as cheap as they are now.

And yes, the Xbox 360 is due late this month. Although I bought the original Xbox as soon as it came out, I would wait and let the prices come down this time around. I currently have an XBox and Gamecube, not looking to buy a new console any time soon.

I don't like when I see anyone saying this system or that system is better. They each offer a lot. You really need to ask yourself what type of games you're interested in.

If you like the Japanese style RPG games, the PS2 is the best choice for you.

If you like more 1st and 3rd person shooters, and more American type RPGs, the Xbox is for you.

If you don't care for anything but the fun factor, IMO, the Gamecube is for you. Nintendo shines here and always has.

The PS2 does have a lot of games, but they also have a lot of crappy games. Don't let that be the deciding factor.

All have good racing and sport games too, so that really doesn't have to weigh into the decision process.

Personally, we have all 3 and are getting the Xbox 360. My son is 14 and my daughter 13. We get the most use out of Xbox and Live, followed by the Gamecube, and in our family, the PS2 comes in dead last. We don't like Japanese RPGs though.

Geez, I have too many systems! Oh well, its something we all enjoy. BTW, there are "grown up" games for the GC as well. if you or hubby want to play. Beyond Good & Evil, Eternal Darkness, just to name a couple.

I would have to 2nd these recommendations! I only have Beyond Good and Evil for the Xbox though, but truly an awesome game, and Eternal Darkness is as well. Resident Evil 4 is only available on the Gamecube too, and it was beyond excellent!

Get the kids Animal Crossing, Pikman, Pikman 2, Mario Sunshine, Viewtiful Joe, Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2, Paper Mario, Mario Kart Double Dash....I'm sure there are tons more, but all these are ONLY available on the Cube. What a loss for those who don't get to experience them.

we have everyone that ever came out, & the only 1 to die was the X-Box ( the hard drive went out) I'm hooked on the game cube & the super ninetendo, cuz of the cartoon games ( donkey kong, mario,etc) & with the Cube you can also play gameboy games on with a adaptor,( I need the bigger screen for those) but my son loves his Playstation 2, he's more into the sports & car games, also he says the controlers are better than X-Box's for the quick movement & control. I'd suggest you browse the games offered in the stores & go with the one that has the most of the games your children would play, keep in mind all playstation games (1&2) work for that system. I think you'll find the Playstation 2 is what you'll like with the age span you have.

Having 3 boys ages 17.15.11 I have all three systems. The xbox gets played the most only because it has the online games that they can play :cheesy: My kids are wanting the Xbox 360 even though we have one on hold at Ebgames I think we are not going to get it since they are getting computers this year. But knowing DH they will have this as well because he is a big kid himself:tongue1: For your ages of kids I would probably pick either the gamecube or PS2. Xbox has more adult games. ;)

Shonette:

Here is a HUGE piece of advice...

Buy whatever gaming system you end up going with at Best Buy and get their 2 year replacement plan. Its an extra $19.99 for the xbox or PS2 or an extra $9.99 for the gamecube but its worth it. Considering you have little boys that won't be taking care of the system too well, the extended warranty is a no brainer. The warranty is VERY EASY to redeem. If the system stops working/disc read errors/no power/controller malfunctions/scratching noises...etc. basically anything that goes wrong with it, as long as you didn't drop it or step on it or abuse it then Best Buy will replace it. You can either take it the system into a store and they will give you a new one, or you can mail it in and they will send you a merchandise voucher. It gets even better, say 6 months from now the PS2 you bought during the holidays of '05 stops working, you go into the store to get it replaced and see the PS2s have dropped in price from 149.99 to 129.99 well guess what, you get store credit for the amount you originally paid (149.99) but you get the new one for the price that it is currently going for (129.99) that means you have an extra $20 in store credit to use towards a game/memory card/controller etc.! Trust me, very rarely does Best Buy reject your exchange inside the store. They will only reject it if you dropped it or spilled pop on it or something. And if you decide to mail it in, they almost never reject it because they'd rather just send you a voucher than send you your old system back and tell you they rejected it. Another thing is keep in mind that when you take back your old system to best buy, it is STORE CREDIT you are getting so you are not obligated to get another PS2, you could get an XBOX instead or whatever else you please that is inside the store. Anyway, this is my first post so you might be thinking I'm lying but trust me, I have bought these warranties all the time when buying gaming systems and have exchanged them numerous times with no problems.

Hope this helps!

That is some great information! Thanks for the post!

I would have to 2nd these recommendations! I only have Beyond Good and Evil for the Xbox though, but truly an awesome game, and Eternal Darkness is as well. Resident Evil 4 is only available on the Gamecube too, and it was beyond excellent!

Get the kids Animal Crossing, Pikman, Pikman 2, Mario Sunshine, Viewtiful Joe, Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2, Paper Mario, Mario Kart Double Dash....I'm sure there are tons more, but all these are ONLY available on the Cube. What a loss for those who don't get to experience them.

Ditto! We are getting Animal crossing for DDs this year. She is able to read now, and thats what we were waiting on. we tried it before, but its a pain to sit there and have to read every word to her. So she is getting that this year. We have (and enjoy) Mario Sunshine, Viewtiful Joe, Paper Mario, and Mario Kart. Played Pikmin 1 & 2 and traded them in. Great games. Also traded in the monkeyballs, as they seemed a little too hard for my kids. They would be great for maybe a 8-10 year old though.