The Crazy Shopper Black Friday Stories Are Coming In For 2011!

stationchief

The stories are coming in for this year. And they're as crazy as ever!

Can't get to that Xbox doorbuster palette? Mace thru that crowd! :cheesy:

Bargain-hunters maced by fellow shopper

A woman pepper-sprayed other shoppers at a Los Angeles area store in a bid to beat out fierce competition for bargains during a Black Friday "doorbuster" sale, the Los Angeles Times reported.

So, what nutty Black Friday shopper news stories are breaking in your area?

AZ Central: Grandfather roughed up at Buckeye Walmart, shoppers say

A police report offers conflicting accounts on what led to the incident: The arresting officer, whose name is redacted in the report, and several store employees and shoppers said the man concealed a video game in his waistband and caught the eye of store security, who alerted police.

The officer said he attempted to take the man into custody but the man refused several commands and tried to pull away, prompting the officer to use "a leg sweep" to drop the subject to the ground.

But several other shoppers, including a 15-year-old who said he shot some video with a cellphone, said the man was merely trying to shield the video game from others during a Black Friday event, during which upwards of 200 people were pushing their way and fighting over reduced-priced video games, according to the report.

The man's wife and other witnesses say that Newman was trying to help his young grandson after the boy was trampled by shoppers, and only put a video game in his waistband to free his hands to help the boy.

Not directly related to someone BF shopping, but BF related nonetheless:

Cave Creek Walmart closes after suspicious device found

The new Walmart Supercenter in Cave Creek closed for seven hours on Thanksgiving after an assistant manager found a suspicious device in an employee refrigerator.

At 4:15 p.m., after the device was found, about 20 customers and 20 employees were evacuated from the store, 34399 N. Cave Creek Road. Employees were allowed to return at 9:30 p.m. after the Maricopa Country Sheriff's Office did a complete sweep of the building and declared it safe, the assistant manager said Friday. The store reopened to customers at 11 p.m. Thursday.

Walmart shopper shot in Black Friday robbery attempt

SAN LEANDRO, Calif. -- Authorities in Northern California say a Black Friday shopper is in critical but stable condition after being shot by armed robbers outside a Walmart store.

San Leandro police Sgt. Mike Sobek says the victim and his family were walking to their car around 1:45 a.m. when they were confronted by a group of men who demanded their purchases. When the family refused, a fight broke out and one of the robbers shot the man.

Gee funny how these all seem to be at Walmart.

I've noticed that a strong majority of bad BF stories all take place at Wally-World. Especially the ones about people being trampled and injured in the BF line. I'm really surprised WM hasn't said or done anything about this chaos that happens at their stores every single year :(

Here's the video of the aftermath taken by a bystander. NSFW due to some foul language and a pool of blood. That cop drew an awful lot of blood for the guy just bein' an 'alleged' shoplifter. :(

i've black friday'd at that specific walmart every year since they have opened. last year it was the first time it was bad - i got in a bit of a scuffle. this year went somewhere new. thank goodness!

I find this incredibly unforgiveable. Is it REALLY worth it to save a few bucks to hurt people. especially babies? That's absolutely horrific. The pepper spray incident- I hope they find that horrible woman and she goes to jail. Who does she think she is? And the poor mom who was made to drop her baby because of all this? Wow! My wally world wasn't organized either and it was total chaos but really these take the cake. Where's the civility and humanity? The desire to help others out? In my walmart people were handing back cameras and helping, for the most part. Holdng spots in line for bathroom runs and other stuff. NOT rushing and hurting people.

I've noticed that a strong majority of bad BF stories all take place at Wally-World. Especially the ones about people being trampled and injured in the BF line. I'm really surprised WM hasn't said or done anything about this chaos that happens at their stores every single year :(

Not so sure we should be so quick to blame Wal-Mart. People are responsible for their own actions. People in general have become less civilized. Or is it just what type of people WalMart attracts. Dunno....FWIW

We had very few problems. I think people should be held accountable for their actions. However, when you get a large number of people in a confined space things can happen. I wish things were more spread out. We had towels and sheets right beside each other. Big mistake.

Not so sure we should be so quick to blame Wal-Mart.

Yes we should as Walmart seems to have ZERO policies or rules in place. It is like they get pleasure out of seeing the free for all and chaos. Putting palettes on the floor and letting people swarm around them is unsafe! Why no ticket system? Why let the 24 hours ones stay open all night? Shut them down for a few hours and put out the items. Last year they had no ropes or barricades to direct the flow of traffic

Sad thing is I don't foresee this getting any better 3 and 4 years ago when the recession was starting we saw people just not spending. People are tired of no spending but don't have much they can justify spending so they are trying to stretch their buck as far as possible.

Although I do agree with the sentiments that people need to be held accountable I think The decisions of the merchants also needs to be considered when coming up with the solution. Bottom line greed is a terribly vicious monster that when it rears it's ugly head has no good outcome. In this case greed on the part of the consumer and greed on the part of the merchant. Not cool either way.

The stories are terrible and there is no excuse for people to hurt anyone over saving a few bucks. That being said, why oh why do people continue to take babies and toddlers out with them to these sales. When will people finally stop doing that?

I agree. I saw soooooo many tiny babies out and it worried me. People can get so nasty and physical. In my town, there were several people arrested from different stores for fights breaking out. It was horrible. This is the first time in my area when this has happened. Personally I believe it was because you had people out that normally don't go out for BF but because of the new hours they were out in droves. It was horrible. To me, it's just not worth taking the risk. Just my opinion.

I am so thankful that I ordered what I needed from Walmart online as most problems seem to be there! I was at TRU and we had police at the entrance so people didn't rush the doors and the employees only let in a certain number of people in at a time. The store also had a line for eletronics and they regulated how many people could get into the section at a time. No reason to push given. The employees knew where everything was and it was a great experiance. I am sad some people have to deal with such craziness!

I think for the most part Walmart is lacking in its organization. For instance they had people lined up by 930 for the towels, and separate lines for every other item that was on special at 10pm. Wouldn't it make more sense to spread these to several locations so no huge crowd gathers at one location? People were fighting over memory foam floor mats I mean COME ON. The only way to do Walmart on black Friday is to go 3-4 hours after they open and look here there and everywhere for the goodies people left behind. Found every doorbuster but, that sheets that way!

so i heard from a friend who works for the FD that apparently there are some BF shoppers more diehard than I imagined!

this took place @ walmart at 83rd & Peoria in AZ and can only be blamed on the shopper(s).

-woman injured/broke her leg around 6pm. Rather than use common sense and go to the hospital she decided to tough it out and go wait in line at walmart.

-she was jostled in line, causing her leg to give out on her. 911 was called and the fire dept (fd) got there first.

- as the firefighters attempted to get through the line with a gurney in hand they had other shoppers heckling them and telling them to go to the back of the line!

-they finally get to the woman, and are starting to load her on the gurney. then the doors to the store open (10pm) and they all ended up getting pushed to the ground and stepped on by the rush of shoppers.

not sure you can blame the crowd of shoppers, because although those in the immediate area could see what was happening, those further behind who may have been jostling the line could not.

the person to blame here is that determined shopper that showed up with an untreated broken leg!