Official One-and-Only "What I Got" & "My Black Friday Experience" Thread

Brad

I (and my family)got the following:

Best Buy:

2 Lenovo laptops

4 24 inch Dynex TVs....one with DVD player gratis due to store stock issue.

4 42 inch Sharps one magically made into a $700 LG by manager.

2 320GB hard drives (external)

1 3TB External Hard Drive

1 Samsung laptop

2 XBox 360 250GB

1 kinect

1 PS3

All advertised Games we wanted

All advertised Blurays we wanted including LOTR extended edition and Doorbuster Bluray combo packs

1 ASUS transformer

1 EMachines Desktop

1 16GB flash drive

2 Donut makers

2 Norelco Razors

1 Rocketfish Stylus

1 Laptop bag

1 laptop Backpack

1 Toshiba Bluray player

1 Wireless XBox 360 controller

1 Wireless PS3 controller

1 PS3 headset

1 Nikon Coolpix S6100 Bundle

Fred's:

Duraflame Electric Stove...a steal at $50.

Amazon.com:

Scored latest Transformers Bluray(Lightning Deal), Office Space Office kit, Dinner for Schmucks Bluray.

Walmart:

Price-matched for $3.99 a $15 copy of Pulp Fiction Bluray

Got all of the $5 Blurays that I wanted late in the day.

Kohls:

Wifey and Nieces went sneak shopping. Used $10 off coupons and really cleaned up.

All in all a great day! Filled some needs and definitely some wants. Family members are happy with the TVs.:gdthums:

Edited by jaymacfla
additional content

Only went to one store this year. Menard's for the batteries and a few other items. They had it nice and organized there, even handed out maps of where the items where going to be in the store! Plus they blocked off the entrance so people could not just sneak in line, and had a sheriff standing by the entrance!! Very organized store this year.

Kohl's in Richmond, Indiana was a freakin' madhouse! I got in line at 11pm, and there were maybe 50 ahead of me. By the time midnight rolled around, there were also several hundred behind me, and about 25 people had lined up across the roadway from the front doors, in the hope to rush them when they opened. I was one of the many people yelling "BACK OF THE LINE" and trying to generally look menacing. Their crowd control inside the store was practically non-existent. Once we got our items we tried to find the end of the line... and walked around for about 10 minutes before we finally found it. A while later, they moved the line... then moved it again. Now we were back in a far corner of the store and I made the decision to apply for a Kohl's Charge to get into the "much shorter" customer service line. While it was shorter, it was not worth the hype. Spent over an hour in that line. On the plus side, they were ringing up an additional 15% off everything discount back there, so we ended up getting the following:

New Balance Shoes

BPA-Free Mugs (regularly 12.99, marked down to 3.99!)

The tote bag doorbuster

Several of the fleece throws

The 5qt slowcooker

Mens shirt & tie "in a box"

P.S. JC Penney's was a much better experience. Waited in line starting about 2:30. The doors opened at 4am and we were checking out at 4:15! We got:

Protocol Luggage set

7qt Electric Skillet

Large Pillows

Remington Electric Razor

Other random Items

Well, I have too much to list but I'll list try to sum it up:

Amazon

Canon SX230 HS $149.99 w/free Mini HDMI cable and 4gb Memory Card (WOOHOO!!!!)

Ledisi cd 4.99

Kelly Rowland cd 4.99

The Temptations cd 2.99

Many movies including X-men First Class, Harry Potter pt.2, Fast Five, and Transformers 3 $9.99 and lower

Psych Seasons 1-4 $7.99/ea

Walmart

25 Movies @ $1.96/each

12 Photo Collage $6.96

Gamestop

Batman Arkham Aslyum, Tomb Raider, and Samurai Warriors 2 Total: $27.84

Macy's

Men's Sweater

Men's Timberland Shirt

(3) Initial Necklaces

Sterling Silver Bracelet

So I had an great Thanksgiving and saved LOTS of money!! I only had to go to one store this year, Walmart, which was a MAD HOUSE! Everyone is checked off my Christmas list so it was all worth it!

Wednesday night: ordered my Kohl's goodies.

Thursday: ordered from Best Buy. Shopped Kmart, CVS, and Walgreens. Kmart was not busy at all. The drug store "freebies" were gone FAST, but I got my share.

Friday: left home at 5am. I needed sleep and didn't feel like dealing with the madhouse. I was surprised to see the whole mall open so early - I thought it would just be the anchor stores. It was a bit surreal to walk into the mall at 5am on BF and see people hanging out in center court, munching on some chinese food.

JCP: arrived around 5:15 and got one of the last 4 snow globes. The lines weren't terrible, but too long for the PJs I was considering

Macy's: the comforter sets I was looking for dissappointed. I left empty-handed.

Bergner's: used $10 coupon. Got clearance kid's jeans for $6ish. I wanted socks, but they were all "incredible buys". Gotta love Bergner's couponsyuck:/:)

Gamestop: I got my 4 used wii remotes for the price of 1 new one. They were even able to look around in back and find some pretty ones for me (some on display looked dingy).

Old Time Pottery: more comforter didsappointment, but I got a pizza stone -15% coupon.

Kmart: OOS for kids jeans in the sizes I needed. I picked up a few other things and waited in my longest line yet, about 10 minutes.

Target: arrived about 7:30. There were plenty of TVs and other items stacked in the various departments. DVD/video game selection was dwindling, but they had at least 1 of everything on my list. Cashiers were standing near registers, lookng for someone to help.

Big Lots: batteries were free after rebate and I was already at the shopping stip. Who can't use free batteries?

Old Navy: Men's and women's jeans were a mess. Kids jeans were gone. Line was long. I scoped out some patterns & designs, left empty-handed, and ordered online when I got home.

Walmart: Movies/games were picked over, Monster High dolls were gone - not just the $10 dolls, EVERY monster high doll in the store. I did get gloves, a 8GB SD card, a couple $2 DVDs (why were they 1/2 a store away from all the others?), Transformers DVD (found in put-back cart), and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (PM'd Best Buy). I couldn't find Water for Elephants, so I ordered it from Amazon when I got home (thanks for the PM, Amazon!).

Gordman's: Most crowded store of my morning. They were out of bedding sets in the size/color I wanted. I got my PJs, then saw the line and almost put them back. I decided to wait and see how fast it moved and I'm glad I did. The line went fast, the people were the friendly, chatty sort I remember from BFs past. The lady behind me had some of the cute storage trunks I forgot about, but she pointed them out for me and held my place while I went to get one.

All in all I had a pretty successful Black Friday. I ordered my must-haves online and went out to B&M stores for the smaller nice-to-haves. As long as everything ships, I'm a happy shopper.

The article is more about projections and expectations than register receipts and may be self-promotion. My experience is that a lot of merchandise went unsold. No doubt online sales were up, but B&M sales are still so much more important that these stats do not make or break a BF. Also, there is the matter of returns. If the unsold stock blows out, I may return some of my purchases.

Were I a betting man, I would say that increased hours translated to increased traffic but that purchases were of less expensive items. Time will tell...

The article is more about projections and expectations than register receipts and may be self-promotion. My experience is that a lot of merchandise went unsold. No doubt online sales were up, but B&M sales are still so much more important that these stats do not make or break a BF. Also, there is the matter of returns. If the unsold stock blows out, I may return some of my purchases.

Were I a betting man, I would say that increased hours translated to increased traffic but that purchases were of less expensive items. Time will tell...

But were all those TV's left over the Door Buster TV's or were they just OK priced TV's that weren't such a great deal that stores put out in hopes that when they ran out of the doorbusters that they hoped people would buy? And no one did which is why they were leftover. My guess is that Best Buy didn't have any of their $199 42" TV's left and that Walmart didn't have stacks of their $98 TV's left?

@Walmart I got

2 32" Emerson TVs- $188 each

Samsung Galaxy Prevail Android- $69

Dual DVD player- $59

LG wifi Blu Ray- $89

SNL Board Game- $3.88

Gamestop- PS3 160 bundle w/2 games- $199

I DID NOT like the new midnight sale time. Walmart was disorganized and didn't seem to know how to unveil the products at midnight. What I did like- Walmart had plenty of everything. There were plenty of the TVs, Laptops, DVRs, etc... All of their hot items including the sub $200 laptops were plentiful.

My two biggest purchases were online Thursday: a new Tom Tom GPS from Radio Shack and a Columbia winter parka for my wife and or 11 year old daughter (almost same size now) from Cabellas (which we don't have in our area). Also went to CVS pharmacy on Thanksgiving. As usual, I did my shopping in the Nassau Hub area of Long Island instead of stores near me in Queens.

Got in line at Target just a few minutes after opening time. I was out for a bunch of smaller items, including many doorbusters, but no real "blockbuster" items. I shopped pretty straight until 2:30 PM at the following stores: Target, Best Buy, Walmart (& Subway in Wmart for early morning sandwich), Michaels, Home Depot, Lowes, Walgreens, Staples, JC Penney, Sears, (Chipotle for lunch), a distant Sears Outlet just to see what they had (a bust), a K-Mart next door, then home. Later went to a Rite Aid and a Pep Boys Auto.

In addition to the two online purchases, some of the things I got:

CVS: various free after coupon items.

Target: some CDs/DVDs/BluRays, iTunes gift card, portable vacuum, some hand towels and washcloths.

Best Buy: A Sandisk 16 GB SDHC card (not advertised), 1 DVD, Just Dance 3 game for XBox/Kinect, and my favorite find-an unadvertized Braun Series 3 shaver that I had been scouring the adds for which I saw was on sale for a good price while I was waiting in the serpentine line.

Walmart: 1 DVD, 1 soccerball, and a Subway sandwich (pretty much a bust as last year).

Michaels: 2 art sets and 2 kids activity sets, wrapping paper.

Home Depot: mini clamps set, a tire inflator (may return), a 2 poinsettias

Lowes: LED flashlights, a tripod LED light, a mirror for my co-op apartment building where I am president of the Board.

Walgreens: miscellaneous free after coupon items, a home blood pressure monitor.

Staples: Photo paper, Batteries free after rebate (get these every week at Staples!!), two Logitech web cams for me and daughter. McAffee anti-virus free after rebate.

JC Penney: wallet, 2 sheet sets and a mattress pad for new bed my daughter is receiving this week, two rugs for our bathroom, a tie.

Sears: A Craftsman 12v pump for tires and other items (will probably return similar item bought at Lowes). Also bought ten 200-bulb LED light strings on reels for my co-op apartment builiding.

Sears Outlet: nothing

K-Mart: a Totes tabletop soccer game (for doorbuster price after doorbuster hours ended).

Rite Aid: micellaneous, two Home Improvement gift cards with $10 back each.

Pep Boys Auto: A rechargeable lamp (free after rebate).

For first time, did not go to Kohls this year, in part because my wife did not go out in morning with me.

I have to say I'm one that doesn't like the 9, 10 or Midnight openings. I love love love BF but refuse to give up time with family. Anyway the most exciting thing I got this year was the Disney Carousel from Sears! lol Our grand daughter will love it with the rest of our Christmas display. This year our 15 yr old son actually talked my DH into taking him to Kohls! LOL They went there and I was going to hit Target but after seeing the line was at least 4 deep and down the building and all the way down a really long plaza I turned and seen a nice app 10 person line at Ulta! lol I found quite a few items for MIL and DIL some I hadn't really thought of until I seen them and thought hey that would be great for xxx etc. After there I went to Target and everyone there was sooooo nice and helpful! Huge Thanks to all the workers that seemed to be able to keep a simle on through it all. Even seen some people I went to school with and haven't seen in a few years, that was nice. After my DH & son were done in Kohls I got a text from DS to see if he could come with me so I had a partner for the rest of BF this year. That's new I always go it alone! But DH & DS came to Target and waited in line with me then DH went home and DS & I finished BF shopping. We actually had a blast and laughed so much and so hard I think we both had tears running down our faces!! After Target we hit the Mall and Sears! Thanks to him for helping me :)

I may have been able to get everything I want. But I arrived in my local Best Buy at 12am, was first in line. Only to find uninformed and unorganized employees. No one knew anything of the ad that was onsale. And I was told false statements that practically ruined the experience for me. Surprised to see this after having much more organized experiences in the past.

Long story short, I had to wait 2 hours in line at Home Theater for my 42in TV. And I was only 10th in line there, if that at all. Absolutely un-acceptable. They had 1 register checking out anyone and everyone in the back. And the one person that was taking and filling in orders was too busy helping someone who had no idea why they were there or what they needed. Let along spoke English. Pretty much the top 10 people in line outside were the people around me and behind me. And we all waited and didn't move in the line. I ended up getting out of the store at 2:30am. Couldn't believe it. Just wanted to get the heck out of there. Absolutely ruined my hopes for getting to any other store. Just wanted to get home. There were even customers that started to Police the line to turn people away since there weren't any Best Buy employees doing it. When you finally got up to the ticket lady, you then had to wait even longer for the long checking out anyone and everyone in Home Theater. Just stupid. I can understand a hour wait. Its what i've experience in the past. But this was just un-acceptable.

I e-mailed the store director, but I don't expect any response.

This store didn't even give tickets for the 24in TV. Made us go get it, saying they had enough. Yeah if they had enough customers wouldn't have been asking "Where did you get that?" 5minutes into the store opening. Even thoe the Best Buy website and ad said ticket required to purchase this item. What pissed me off the most was when the employees told me I could check out with my TV at Geek Squad to help expedite my transaction, but when we get turned away. We only get to see people checking out with computers in Home Theater. Bah.

I got several things from Walmart early in the week inclucing a black wii with mario cart and just dance 3, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 and 2 for 15.50, a vanity

table for my dd3, and my 42" TV.

I got in line for TRU at about 6 and got all 38 items on my list including 2 of the 199 power wheels and the mater power wheels. My TRU was so organized I was out of there by 10. Every employee knew where every doorbuster was. I enlisted my 17 yo cousin to help me. She parked 2 carts in the jiggzaw puzzle line and I went and picked up the toys. Neeless to say I am done shopping for my older two (3 and 4). And 7 of my nieces and nephews.

I went back to TRU/BRU around noon to find my one year old his Christmas outfit and did a walk around. Every item that was on sale seemed to be gone! I am glad I went early.

I also went to payless to get new dress shoes for the kids and used the 20% off coupon I got for being early in line at TRU.

My BF was successful and a lot of fun. My cousin is already talking about next year and she doesn't even have kids (thank GOD LOL). By the time she does she will be a pro!

Amazon.com -- I've been picking up DVDs here and there in the lightning rounds

BestBuy.com -- ordered the Sansa Clip Zip, with free 2-day shipping!

CVS -- on Thanksgiving we got tons of the free-after-EB items, plus the things that were deeply discounted after EB. Then we turned around and bought the Sonicare toothbrush using EBs. That store was a breeze, though I couldn't find those "energy strips" but it wasn't worth asking an employee.

Radio Shack -- hit up the store at 5:20 am for 5:30 am opening. About 25 people were in line. I found the Monster FM modulator, 75x CD-Rs and 75x DVD-Rs and then got in "line". I use the word "line" loosely because it really was disorganized. The Radio Shack I visted was a deep narrow rectangle in a strip mall, with three registers in a circle. That was probably an efficient setup for up to 6 customers... But when the place is busy, no one knows where to stand to be "in line". It was so ridiculous. Then other shoppers are asking "where's this?" and "where's that?" while the employees were busy helping someone else. Plus people signing up for phones, whether they were Boost or otherwise.

They *really* should've had the manager yell "Hey folks, the employee over there with the red hair in the blue shirt is Andy, anyone looking for something in the store and you can't find it, Andy's your man. This woman right here is Sylvia. If you are getting a cell phone, she's your gal! Make your way over to Sylvia for phones. This is Hank, he'll just be getting stuff from the back for other employees. If you could just let him do his thing, he'll be able to help the other employees get all of you out faster... And the three of us will man the registers, we'll have you out in a flash. Thank you for your understanding folks." Instead it was just a jumbled mess.

I did get out of there by 6:00 am, so it wasn't too bad.

Lowes -- 20 of the $.99 poinsettias to decorate the dealership and one for my wife's desk at work plus the $9.88 locking pliers.

Pep Boys -- As is always the case, they only have 5 shopping carts (and tons of wire-handled shopping baskets). I got 5 quarts of Castrol & the Purolator filter for my car ($7 AR). I run synthetic in my wife's Acura and they were sold out of the Bosch filter that was part of the Peak synthetic oil deal, so I skipped that. I also got the BOGO fuel-injector cleaner, the $15 AR tire inflator and the F-A-R Anti-freeze. I had a $10 gift card voucher from their rewards program so it brought the bill down to $42.67 It'll end up being $17.67 when I get the rebates back. Not a bad haul at all...

But the line was long and the wire handles from the basket really cut into my hands (2 gallons of anti-freeze and 5 qts. of oil will do that).

A quick duck across the street to the grocery store for milk, bread and bananas....

Target -- The parking lot was packed and I was thinking that I'd walk in and have to walk out. Then I was thinking that they'd be sold out of what I was after... But there were tons of employees, short lines, and they had both the George Foreman grill (about 18 of them, actually) and tons of the Armor All or Meguire's Car Care Gift Packs. The Armor All, Mr. Foreman and I made our way up to the registers. By this point there was NO LINE whatsoever.

Got home, showered and off to work for 9 am, even made it a bit early! (I live about 7 minutes from the dealership).

THOUGHTS:

Radio Shack really needs to organize better. Or rope off their intended lines... Or something!

I got to talking to the people behind me at Radio Shack. A young couple (early 20's) with a small child. They had been out since 2 am. Fine, whatever. But I was put-off by the husband saying to his wife that he was tired and was going to call off work. I don't know how the rest of you feel, but I thought the guy needed to "Man Up!" and drink an extra coffee or two, plan a vacation day for BF in advance, or not go out at all. But to call off work because he was tired (and completely by his own doing) just seemed incredibly ignorant and lazy.

Pep Boys needs shopping carts (even if they have to rent them from a grocery store!) This is the third year in a row that I've gone to Pep Boys, and it appears that they are becoming a popular stop.

I did all my shopping online this year except for going to Fred Meyer to get socks. From what my friends told me, they wish they had of done the same thing. I got lots of DVDs/Blu-rays from Overstock and Amazon. I bought my mother in law an Acer Tablet online. Did all my Kohl's shopping on Wednesday night (new comforter, new cutlery, sweater for my dad, pyrex set) and got $30 Kohls cash. I got myself the Beats by Dr. Dre at Staples which come with a $20 gift card. Ordered a new electric heater at half off for my dad from Lowes. I started off the week with the Best Buy sale on Monday and got some Apple I Tunes gift cards, a portable hard drive and got a friend one of the 24 inch Dynex TV's.

All in all, I have to say..I miss going out on Black Friday but by the sounds of it..I don't miss nor do I want to get in the middle of all the chaos. I think I have converted several friends and family members to shopping online after their experiences AND they will be coming to this site to see the ads early next year!

:)

I started the night at Walmart. Arrived 7:45pm for the xbox 360 with kinect. I was about 30th in line. First heard they had 40. By the time they gave out tickets the employee yelled they only had 22 of them. So I missed it. DH was in line for the PS3. He was 6th. They had 18 of them, so he got his. I was so upset oh well. So while we still had 30 minutes till 10pm I scouted the store for the legos and mens jeans. Lucky they were close by. So I waited at the Legos. A few minutes before 10pm they someone else started to take the plastic off, so I reached in and grabbed myself a box, then I headed to the jeans and got my husband 5 pair. Wanted a few more but not the right size. The games, movies, towels, and sheets I heard were insane crazy. I did get few other items. Headed home and went to sleep. I got back up around 4 headed out again.

First stop was TRU. It was great. Walked in and immediately saw they had plenty of skylanders. Even a few new ones. So I got all the ones I needed pluse the storage cases. I ended up saving $90, because I already bought them earlier when they had them B2G1 free. I got all of those returned today. While I was waiting I just asked "do you have any of your xbox kinect bundles for $199 left. And they said "yes". I about fell over. So I went and bought me one of those. I was jumping up and down I was so excited. The lady at the checkout told me that they held some back so they would have them today for the remainder of the sale.

Also went to Best Buy and bought my the Sony Handycam, since at the time I did not get my xbox. Also got the exta stuff,plus a 16 sd card. Just went online and ordred Disnyland and Rabbids for the xbox kinect. Actually keeper by $25 than when I bought them from TRU (before I got the xbox). So I was upset at first that I returned those games today since I did not get an xbox at Walmart, but then did end up finding one at TRU. Now I am glad I did because I got them cheaper.

Also went to another Walmart and got my DH 2 more pair of jeans, 620 external hard drive, digital picture frame, 2 gift cards to Starbucks and Amazon Kindle (decided to get those out of the way). Found a few movies. This walmart had a lot of movies left.

Hit Old Navy and got myself 2 $5 graphic tees.

Kmart I got the mp3 player with the free armband, 2 lego Hero factory dudes, $10 digital scale, and some .88 socks.

Hit the mall and got a few shirts for myself.

Final stop was Petsmart where I got 5 fish for $4. If I paid regular place they would have been about $20.

http://maps.google.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=36.021997,-115.292118&zoom=14&markers=36.021997,-115.292118&size=400x300&sensor=true

Just wanted to share a pic from black Friday of me and my " Team Black Friday" girls. Even though I didn't need any door busters I still love the " ambience " of waiting in line at target for 4 hrs with my friends :)

wow.... That is one good look team..... Too bad none of my friends or coworker are into this BlackFriday shopping thing

We did pretty well, like last year. The Wal-Mart in the N.C. mountains went to again to was crowded but nothing like shopping in areas with more people. We walked in right at midnight or a couple minutes after, and by that time people were leaving so parked up pretty close and waltzed right in and got what we wanted. And like last year also stopped by the next morning around 11 and still plenty of the doorbusters left. There were easily 30 or so of those 19" TVs, a huge stack of the blue Wiis, ect.

Highlights of what I got were a $79 Kindle (for someone else, gift) and the blue limited edition Wii. Got some other stuff, among them a few cheap games, one of the cheap timex watches, one of the $5 flash drives, a few pairs of the $9.97 Wrangler jeans (these seriously seemed to be most popular there!) and some of the cheap underwear for hubby. Some of it was on the 2nd visit.

The lines for checkout at the midnight visit did take awhile but no biggie. Everybody very friendly and helpful. They said at the 11 a.m. visit that there were three fights in electronics but I didn't see any of that. They said it was more crowded than last year; I almost wonder if my posts about this particular store on here may have clued in a few folks in the region. ;)

Well, I can't believe it happened to me again this year, but I got sick AGAIN!!!!! We started at midnight at kohls where I was doing fine. Left there and went to target where Ii was still doing ok. Left there and headed to the mall. About an hour after we got to the mall, I started feeling yucky. I was the driver so when we left to go home I had to drrive us back which was an hour driive. The entire way home, I was panicky b/c I was shakey, not feeling well, weak, and exhausted. I had good luck buying stuff but even as I sit here today (saturday at 5pm), I am still not fully recovered. Puking all day along with still feeling tired is not fun. I did the exact same thing last year but I thought I had gotten sick last year b/c I didn't eat well or stay hydrated. I did everything right this year, but I guess my body just can't hang with staying up for so long with no sleep.

I got some of the Monster High dolls at Walmart which was 10 times worse than the Cabbage Patch doll experience ever was. I was ready to go after that. Didn't even wanna try for anything else. I did however want the Straight Talk phones. Found out earlier in the night that they did not get any of those. Went to another Walmart and they didn't get any either. Had sister-in-law check another Walmart and they didn't get any. Got them online along with 2 pillows. Went to a local shoe store and got dd a pair of nike shox for 21.00. Went back to Walmart around 10a.m. and got some of the cheap board games.

Amazon- Got a 32 inch t.v. for $188 and GNR greatest hits cd for 2.99

But were all those TV's left over the Door Buster TV's or were they just OK priced TV's that weren't such a great deal that stores put out in hopes that when they ran out of the doorbusters that they hoped people would buy? And no one did which is why they were leftover. My guess is that Best Buy didn't have any of their $199 42" TV's left and that Walmart didn't have stacks of their $98 TV's left?

No, not the door busters. Maybe these go on sale going forward, but there were a lot of unsold TVs. Also, Staples STILL had door busters this morning -- still at the BF prices.

Weds online (BB forum buddies, where you at?)

Kohls's - for just over $100

1 shirt

2 sweaters

1 giant tupperware set

1 pair sneakers

18 pairs of socks

3 sets of sheets

Old Navy online for just over $60

12 shirts

Best Buy

$100 itunes gift card for $60 (I'm sorry! I'm sorry!)

and when the sales finally went live...

Nikon S8100 for $150

In store at Target:

2 blankets and 5 piece luggage set

and today successfully price matched 2 $123.38 Kindle Fires at Wally World

And I thought I did good last year! Now I just need to live on carrots until my bank account magically replenishes itself.

But to call off work because he was tired (and completely by his own doing) just seemed incredibly ignorant and lazy.

LOL...you must think like me and not run into the same amount of lazy people as I have. I was brought up w/ a good work ethic but most ppl these days could care less. I'm relatively young at 32 and it surprises me when I hear similar things or even people showing up and doing the bare minimum to keep their jobs.