Help with choosing the right Kindle

Kim3498

I would like to get a Kindle for MIL for Christmas. She is not very technology friendly, so we are not considering the Fire. It would have too many options for her and get very confusing. I'm leaning toward the Kindle Keyboard, but would like opinions. Which one is the easiest to use? Edited by Kim3498

I really don't know it is new and will be released next week. I will have more of an idea once I go check it out at the store. I am planning on getting one for myself just not sure whether it will be the keyboard or the touch. I already have a Nook, but have so many free books that I have downloaded but I am unable to read unless I use my phone (small screen) or my laptop.

I really don't know it is new and will be released next week. I will have more of an idea once I go check it out at the store. I am planning on getting one for myself just not sure whether it will be the keyboard or the touch. I already have a Nook, but have so many free books that I have downloaded but I am unable to read unless I use my phone (small screen) or my laptop.

Oh, ok. I will go to BestBuy and look at them. Thanks for the info.

Are there any that once books are downloaded you can touch one button and books is there? My Dad who is almost 89 reads a book cover to cover practically daily. He does not do tech at all. I send him books all the time but it is $$ to ship. Ds thought he could download a boatload of books and he could touch a button and voila instant book.

To OP, BF deal at Target is great. $84 for keyboard version with special offers. Mine has special offers and has paid for itself in just 2 months.

To PP, all deliver instantly. You could even buy for him and he would have instantly. He could buy from device or website, both instant.

To OP, BF deal at Target is great. $84 for keyboard version with special offers. Mine has special offers and has paid for itself in just 2 months.

Oh, wow. I so want that deal. Thanks for posting. Do you have the keyboard? How easy is it to navigate? She is horrible with anything techy.

Oh, wow. I so want that deal. Thanks for posting. Do you have the keyboard? How easy is it to navigate? She is horrible with anything techy.

Yes i do For reading/buying books its simple. The Internet is a different story. It's a basic level browser that can be frustrating. But none of that has to do with the ereader portion or buying books. It's just an experimental bonus.

I have had a keyboard since xmas last year and love it. If it breaks amazon will overnight you a new one. I don't use the keyboard except to make collections, so the basic would work for someone not needing that option. THe touch looks nice but won't be out for 11 days. I wouldn't count on target having more than a couple at that low price.One more thing, does he have wifi? If he does you could buy the books and send them and they would appear on his kindle. If he doesn't have wifi it becomes more complicated as he would have to manually transfer them to the kindle from his computer . The 3g would be a better option if he doesn't. The Fire is nice, I've ordered one for my son, it has netflix and thousands of other apps, but more of a media device and not as easy on the eyes for reading since it doesn't have the eink screens.

Are there any that once books are downloaded you can touch one button and books is there? My Dad who is almost 89 reads a book cover to cover practically daily. He does not do tech at all. I send him books all the time but it is $$ to ship. Ds thought he could download a boatload of books and he could touch a button and voila instant book.

The nook does this. You can either sync with the press of a menu item but most of the time it does it automatically and they show up in the library almost immediately over wifi. The original nook may be hard to find, but the touch is cool too. i haven't played with the touch though. I can't sit it on my chest and read because the chest gets in the way LOL

I have had a keyboard since xmas last year and love it. If it breaks amazon will overnight you a new one. I don't use the keyboard except to make collections, so the basic would work for someone not needing that option. THe touch looks nice but won't be out for 11 days. I wouldn't count on target having more than a couple at that low price.One more thing, does he have wifi? If he does you could buy the books and send them and they would appear on his kindle. If he doesn't have wifi it becomes more complicated as he would have to manually transfer them to the kindle from his computer . The 3g would be a better option if he doesn't. The Fire is nice, I've ordered one for my son, it has netflix and thousands of other apps, but more of a media device and not as easy on the eyes for reading since it doesn't have the eink screens.

Yes she does have wifi. She also has a computer, however I do anticipate having to load the books for her myself. That is an incredible warranty. I would love to see Amazon match Targets deal in Lightning Deals or Gold Box.

Thanks again, to everyone for all the info. It has been very helpful.

I don't know about your father, but my Mom is 86 and a couple of years ago I gave her a digital photo frame, which she basically just had to leave plugged in and turn it on when she wanted. She gave it back to me this summer saying she never used it. :eek: Oh well, now I have a digital photo frame. Sometimes the elderly get stuck in their ways and do not take to technology. Does your Dad use a computer at all? A cell phone? Anything like that? If not, he probably wants to stick to his books.;)