For those of you going to BB first, what time are you going to get in line?

brynnfromtheblock

What time will you get in line at BB?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What time will you get in line at BB?

• 12 a.m. or later - I'm a gambler
    • 11 p.m.
    • 10 p.m.
    • 9 p.m.
    • 8 p.m.
    • 7 p.m.
    • 6 p.m.
    • 5 p.m.
    • 4 p.m. or earlier

I think people will definitely go earlier than normal. The midnight opening opens BF up to people who didn't want to be out all night now. I think it will make it doubly worse. Diehards will still line up and now newbies who are day people will join.

I don't think it will change the people that still won't go because of Turkey. I definitely think there will be lots more people for opening. Ie my store has had easily a couple hundred. I can see that increase without a doubt since its still today shopping even thoe its midnight.

I won't disclose my location as I don't want a bunch hardcore shoppers beating me to the front of the line, but here's what I'm struggling with. My nearest Best Buy is about 40 minutes away. It is in a fairly populated area and from previous experiences when the store would open there would be between 1 to 2 thousand people in line or so went the claim. Now the first year I lined up at BB on BF was the first year this BB opened (2006). I line up at 2pm on Thanksgiving day and was first in line. Next year I lined up around 4 or 5PM I think and was 5th in line I believe. Next year I didn't line up at all, and last year I lined up at around 1AM on BF (Was only looking for a Blu-ray player last year) at around the 150 mark. I was thinking to get that $79.99 24" TV and more I should line up at around 9AM Thanksgiving day just to be safe, but I'm not sure it's safe enough. I've taken the stance that in my area 15 hours prior to opening was good enough to get any of the ticketed items. Not so sure this year.

I do know my area gets rather cold and my store isn't doing any kind of movie event. Also I know my area isn't one of the largest like those in New York, California, Texas, etc. I mean no one in my area has ever lined up earlier than Thanksgiving day.

depends what your going for, shoulda had a poll for doorbusters and then just general sales. And limit the doorbusters to items such as tv, laptops, blu ray players. the bigger items. It'd give you a better poll, if your just going for leftovers, then 11pm.

I'm really curious how this is going to pan out. I've done BB in the past and it requires real commitment. I'm in the Chicago area and Thanksgiving is BUTT COLD. That being said, yes, I've waited over 15 hours to get my stuff. Incidentally, I got very cheesed off at BB a few years ago because they started a one ticket (period!) per person which made the wait less worth it. This year it might help me as I am interested in a camera and not a tv or laptop (got laptop from Staples 2 years ago and you don't want to know what I paid for my 42" tv last year on Amazon... without leaving my house). Still if the whole mess moves up 5 hours, I'm not going to miss all of Thanksgiving day in the cold. I may scout out the lines day of and join if the weather and lines are manageable but I have a feeling I'll be online this year.

For anyone really committed to that tv, I have to recommend what I did a few years ago - FREQUENT SCOUTING MISSIONS. If you live in close proximity to the BB drive by the lot every hour until you see a car. Then everybody who's been doing the same thing gets there within an hour and there's instantly a line of about 30 people. There's a plateau for awhile after that because everybody knows those are the people getting them.

Bring chairs, sleeping bags, lots of layers, and boiling water in thermoses. Toss them into the bottom of the sleeping bag to keep your toes toasty. If it works for sherpas, it works for BF. :D

Incidentally, I got very cheesed off at BB a few years ago because they started a one ticket (period!) per person which made the wait less worth it. :D

You still have time to resolve this. Get in touch with corporate and report the store. You may also get a clear copy of the ad that states the policy on it and show it to The store manager before taking this step. They must comply. There is no variance on this issue, and it is lies and subterfuge when they tell you otherwise. There have been reports of certain locations using this tactic and then keeping the items for their own pleasure. You see, it is easier to say that all of the tickets were taken that way by the time they round the corner of the store. My previous store Manager, and I say previous was caught red handed doing this very thing. There are laws that prevent these stores from having less than what was advertised. You have a right to know what number is on a ticket (yes, they are required to number the tickets) , and they had better have 10 if the ad says so. If they do not, they had better have, say 3 tickets and 7 substitutes/warehouse orders. Saying, "This is a small store" doesn't cut it. I have dealt with many situations and you must be prepared to respectfully fight for what is right. A calm demeanor and a willingness to accept a substitute, can mean a world of difference to your success.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global/regularCat%3Apcmcat259100050010/pcmcat259100050010.c?id=pcmcat259100050010

How many tickets can each customer get?

Each customer is eligible to receive one ticket per applicable item. If a customer wants to purchase 10 different items, then he or she is eligible to receive one ticket (if applicable) for each of those 10 items.

All customers in line are eligible to receive a ticket based on ticket availability.

Customers are not required to be an adult (age 18 or older) in order to receive a ticket.

If your Best Buy refuses, complain to Corporate. Without a doubt you will be compensated.

My Best Buy required last year that If you had a Family getting Multiple Identical Items with Normal 1 Per Customer Limits, they had to be purchased on Different Credit Cards/Payment Types. This wasn't a issue for myself, but a family behind me attempted to purchase and they denied it.

I have dealt with many situations and you must be prepared to respectfully fight for what is right. A calm demeanor and a willingness to accept a substitute, can mean a world of difference to your success.

I couldn't agree more. Not that being calm and patient is easy when faced with stupidity or outright ignorance but it is best :P

I couldn't agree more. Not that being calm and patient is easy when faced with stupidity or outright ignorance but it is best :P

Having Best Buy Corporate on Speed Dial might help. I can't imagine them not being available for that morning heh. I'd be like, o whats that? Heres your Company stating the rules for Tickets. You refuse, ill just call corporate right now :).

Having Best Buy Corporate on Speed Dial might help.

I have a difficult relationship with BB at the best of times.

They either play nice or can take their stuff back and it's no skin off my back:P If I buy it's usually online. The last thing they did was trash my rewards points because they now split them across everything in a purchase so any returns get rid of a portion of your discount. I let it slide ONLY because it was a $5 promotion reward they emailed me, if I'd actually earned it I would have argued tooth and nail. Now I know better in the case I actually earn points from BF buys.

I have no need for a tv, but that price is amazing! I'll just check out BB after I get my other shopping done. What's left is left, if anything. Good luck to all u guys and girls that do stand out. For some, its a tradition, for others its just fun and for me, its just the best time to go shopping! :)

I have a need for that TV .. well DD20 does anyway. She has to work until 11pm on Wednesday and plans on going over to Best Buy when she gets off work. If there are alot of folks in line she plans on hanging it up and coming home. We would then head to Wally World Thursday afternoon to get one of their TVs and the XBox/Kinnect deal.

This would be her first camping out on BF! I am sooo proud.

I have a need for that TV .. well DD20 does anyway. She has to work until 11pm on Wednesday and plans on going over to Best Buy when she gets off work. If there are alot of folks in line she plans on hanging it up and coming home. We would then head to Wally World Thursday afternoon to get one of their TVs and the XBox/Kinnect deal.

This would be her first camping out on BF! I am sooo proud.

what are the lines like in previous BF's at that store? BB had a very solid ad this year, but I would think coming out on Wednesday night should be good for most stores. BB stores in my area usually have a few campers that are there the night before, but most folks started lining up late morning on Thanksgiving Day. With the new midnight opening, I'd expect that to move up a bit. Still, most folks still need to eat Thanksgiving before they head out to stand in line.

So my question is how early is too early to start camping outside a Best Buy? Down here in San Antonio, TX at a Best Buy located in the Alamo Ranch Shopping center there are people that have been there since last week. There are different people who say different times when they arrived. I know that they were there by last Tuesday because my mom called and told me that there was a tent outside of Best Buy with two ladies inside of it. Some people have been saying that they have actually been out there since Saturday November 13th. Now don't get me wrong I do participate in Black Friday but I have never seen anything that would make me miss a day of thanks with my family. What could be so important that would make you waste almost 2 weeks of your life outside a best buy?

I don't think there's ever a set time for camping out. People treat black friday like concerts or premieres now. If you don't have a family to spend thanksgiving with then why not? If you're tired of the same old thing then why not? If you make a mini vacation of it and spend fun casual time with loved ones (like the couple that got ipads last year) then why not? Same could be said for people that couldn't afford items otherwise, those that want their 5-min of fame, and those that just want to.

Whatever the reasons, they don't think they're wasting their time.

How early is too early is subjective. Personally, I think its getting a bit ridiculous, and actually has for many years now and I really wish stores would put a stop to it. For people to start camping out a week or two in advance is just silly to save a few bucks. I can understand wanting or needing to get good deals to afford Christmas, however it could also be looked at as one doesn't need to be buying extravagant thinks like big electronics that they would save hundreds of dollars on if they cant afford it. There is no rule that says that Christmas has to be only filled with expensive or big extravagant items and I'm sure these people would have just a nice of a Christmas with a $20 item then they would with a $200 tv.

It used to be that BF was fun to get to the store and wait 5-6 hours in line and try to get some good items for good deals. Now, there is no way for the normal average person who works and has a family to take care of to get any of these items since people do start camping out weeks in advance. I don't even bother anymore with doorbusters due to it. If I cant afford a normal or regular sale price, I dont need it.

However, with that being said, for those that do have nothing else better to do or not care, or consider it an adventure or just a vacation, to each his own and they deserve the doorbusters and/or free items that they do get.

How early is too early is subjective. Personally, I think its getting a bit ridiculous, and actually has for many years now and I really wish stores would put a stop to it. For people to start camping out a week or two in advance is just silly to save a few bucks. I can understand wanting or needing to get good deals to afford Christmas, however it could also be looked at as one doesn't need to be buying extravagant thinks like big electronics that they would save hundreds of dollars on if they cant afford it. There is no rule that says that Christmas has to be only filled with expensive or big extravagant items and I'm sure these people would have just a nice of a Christmas with a $20 item then they would with a $200 tv.

It used to be that BF was fun to get to the store and wait 5-6 hours in line and try to get some good items for good deals. Now, there is no way for the normal average person who works and has a family to take care of to get any of these items since people do start camping out weeks in advance. I don't even bother anymore with doorbusters due to it. If I cant afford a normal or regular sale price, I dont need it.

However, with that being said, for those that do have nothing else better to do or not care, or consider it an adventure or just a vacation, to each his own and they deserve the doorbusters and/or free items that they do get.

Ditto

So I sent my 2 sons to camp out at local bb tonight(southern WI),son calls and says one other guy is there with 2 tents...that he plans to have like 7 more come after work wed.

I'm like no effin way can he expect 7 people to cut ahead of you a day later .Son says nothing he can do about it because the guy said he already talked to best buy.I said no matter what the guy tells you,you two are 2 and 3! I would imagine by tomorrow afternoon more will line up and also complain should those later peeps try to cut in ..no?

I'm all for a potty break save,but not outright this spot is taken.

So I sent my 2 sons to camp out at local bb tonight(southern WI),son calls and says one other guy is there with 2 tents...that he plans to have like 7 more come after work wed.

I'm like no effin way can he expect 7 people to cut ahead of you a day later .Son says nothing he can do about it because the guy said he already talked to best buy.I said no matter what the guy tells you,you two are 2 and 3! I would imagine by tomorrow afternoon more will line up and also complain should those later peeps try to cut in ..no?

I have always done BF alone so I am never a fan of people cutting in. However, its always going to happen and when it does, I tend to accept it more when the number of savers is greater than the number of cutters. 1 saving for 6 more is just inconsiderate but there's plenty of people like that out there. (Madison, WI here)

If they were my kids i'd head over to BB and speak directly to the manager myself. There is no way that BB would agree to that. I would then take him/her outside and explain to my kids that line cutting is okay.

My DD20 has to work today until 11pm and she can't find anyone to hold her spot so she isn't even going to go now til tonight. She's so disappointed.

While I agree it's outrageous and BB should have never have agreed to it, wouldn't it have been easier to find another BB and be 1 and 2 or at least have civilized camping mates.

I know not everyone has 3-4 BB within 15 miles but it just seems to me that if they're ALREADY causing problems it's only going to get worse as time goes on.

I agree with Andrea. Go into the store and talk to the store manager (not just the manager on duty). Start out nicely but let him know that you'll escalate this to corporate if it isn't resolved. The guy in the tent needs to move his "buddies" space back every time someone else comes. Saving one space for a reasonable amount of time is somewhat understandable. Saving 7 spaces for over 24 hours is not. Maybe this guy knows someone in the store and they're cutting him a break. But I doubt the actual store manager would agree to let him save 7 spaces. Fight the man!!!